Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Xbox 360 Blu-Ray add-on. Where to buy?

• 18-02-2008 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

So if as reported (and which i am looking forward to) microsoft bring out a blu-ray add on drive, what country should it be bought in?

I go the HD-DVD in the states - because it was cheaper.
    I buy the discs from the states because they are way cheaper than here, have combo disc versions and is no problem because HD-DVDs discs are region free.

So if blu-ray is the standard then that messes things up. I'd rather get the discs from the america as they are way cheaper but since they are region coded i would have to get the drive from there too. But, the region coding will probably be like dvds and get it from the console itself.
    Which will restrict us to buying the drives and discs way over-priced over here.

How do you think this is gonna work out then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We're dealing with an awful lot of hypotheticals there.... better to wait for concrete evidence before speculating too much i would think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

If I was going to the states to buy a movie player I wouldnt get an add on for my 360.

If this is such a big concern for you, id just pick up a chipped bluray stand alone player or an american ps3 while you are over there.

If you go over there of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

And if your Aunt had balls..... ?

WellyJ wrote: »
    And if your Aunt had balls..... ?

She'd be your mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

thenobody wrote: »
    But, the region coding will probably be like dvds and get it from the console itself.

So far, most of them aren't region coded. With the winner apparent, that may change however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Id say its far too early, but im thinkin of buying an american ps3 for Bluray, then again, prob just get the UK one, less hassle....

Ps3 games are region free aint they?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

I was looking through them on amazon and could only find a few that werent. Blade Runner for example.
    300 is, Die Hard is, Simpsons is, No Country for old men is, plus many more.

Seem the all regions ones are a rare exception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I was looking through them on amazon and could only find a few that werent. Blade Runner for example.
    300 is, Die Hard is, Simpsons is, No Country for old men is, plus many more.

Seem the all regions ones are a rare exception

Check out this link http://bluray.liesinc.net/ and you'll find quite a large no. of region free blu-rays. Amazon have stopped putting accurate region info on a lot of Blu-Ray discs (was prob. cutting into their european sales) .Most of warners output is region free which is a huge library so the savings that you make ordering from amazon would allow you to still pick up discs online in Europe and even in shops (virgin were doing a buy 2 get one free offer recently) without spending silly money.

Interesting thanks.

Have a €400 voucher been wondering what to use it on .... i may be leaning to a PS3

Interesting thanks.

Have a €400 voucher been wondering what to use it on .... i may be leaning to a PS3

I think there will be a lot of people making that same decision in the coming months, its a huge incentive to people to buy a PS3 now, Sony must be p***ing themselves with the death of HD-DVD

• Advertisement

I think there will be a lot of people making that same decision in the coming months, its a huge incentive to people to buy a PS3 now, Sony must be p***ing themselves with the death of HD-DVD

Which is precisly why there are so many rumours out about microsoft jumping on bluray as soon as possible

Which is precisly why there are so many rumours out about microsoft jumping on bluray as soon as possible

Shutting the door after the horse has bolted......

Who is gonna buy a BluRay addon for 360 when they can just buy a ps3 for an extra few euro?

Unless M$ plan on HEAVILY subsidising the theoretical Bluray addon, and i mean down to around 100 euro, its not gonna work.

The HD-DVD addon was at a reasonable enough price but they are far cheaper to make. And even worse would be if they develop a new 360 with internal Bluray, because all current owners will be really pissed. I know I will be anyway.

With the news of the ps3 hitting 10 million units sold in the same time it took 360 to sell 6 million, there are dark days ahead for the 360 imo.

And which is why they should release the Blu-Ray addon asap.

I dont want a PS3. Rather still have the xbox and have invested too much money in it to start again with a PS3.
    Addon for BluRay would be perfect.

Id say they have it all planned out and ready to go though. At least they should have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

;)

And play it through what?

How will that work and how will you get the sound out to an amp too?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Shutting the door after the horse has bolted......

Who is gonna buy a BluRay addon for 360 when they can just buy a ps3 for an extra few euro?
    They'll probably charge similar to the price of the HD-DVD add-on, certainly not more than €200 which is about half the price of a PS3, not a "few euro".
    Unless M$ plan on HEAVILY subsidising the theoretical Bluray addon, and i mean down to around 100 euro, its not gonna work.
    They will lose sales, no doubt about it, but the majority of people could not care less about HD, in fact I would bet 99.9% of people I know do not even know the difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray and I know only one person with a HD player and he has a PS3 connected to a 15 inch LCD...
    With the news of the ps3 hitting 10 million units sold in the same time it took 360 to sell 6 million, there are dark days ahead for the 360 imo.

Even if the PS3 outsells the 360, I don't see how there are dark days ahead. 90% of major titles this generation will be multi-platform, regardless of which platform wins.
    The 360 is still doing really well in the States, which is the major market for a lot of developers and I can't see the PS3 catching it there. Japan is already won by PS3, and looks like it will take Europe too, but its far from the 360s death knell.

mcgovern wrote: »
    They'll probably charge similar to the price of the HD-DVD add-on, certainly not more than €200 which is about half the price of a PS3, not a "few euro".

They will lose sales, no doubt about it, but the majority of people could not care less about HD, in fact I would bet 99.9% of people I know do not even know the difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray and I know only one person with a HD player and he has a PS3 connected to a 15 inch LCD...

Even if the PS3 outsells the 360, I don't see how there are dark days ahead. 90% of major titles this generation will be multi-platform, regardless of which platform wins.
    The 360 is still doing really well in the States, which is the major market for a lot of developers and I can't see the PS3 catching it there. Japan is already won by PS3, and looks like it will take Europe too, but its far from the 360s death knell.

Why were you playing Harry Potter?

ps3 out sold 360 in january in the us,so did the ps2 but that does not count ms said it was due to stock shortages.

but i agree multi platform will rule this gen ,prob be no console winner

gta 4 getting nearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

MS really need to address the noise levels of the 360 before they further market it as a system to watch movies on.

WHAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU MY 360 IS ON!!!! (turns it off)

SO!! sorry what were you saying, oh yes i agree

• Advertisement

No so for playing HD-DVDs
    The drive is quiet enough. Its the console drive thats loud ... for the first few minutes you actually own the 360. After which you dont notice

Why were you playing Harry Potter?

Because I have a 9 yr old sister who asked me to get it for her, not that I see how that has anything to do with the topic....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

mcgovern wrote: »
    Because I have a 9 yr old sister who asked me to get it for her, not that I see how that has anything to do with the topic....

Yeah sure ;) we all have 9 year old sisters who ask us to get harry potter!! :D

Julez wrote: »
    Yeah sure ;) we all have 9 year old sisters who ask us to get harry potter!! :D

Not particularly bothered if you believe me or not, if you want proof of what I've been playing for the last few months I'll spank you at CoD4 if you want? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I really don't think that the extra storage issue will come into play this generation so I don't think that the 360 will fail as a games machine. It's not the entertainment hub that the PS3 is and the 360 wanted to be but ti's damn close and they only need to release a "cheap" blu ray ad-on to achieve that so it's not all doom and gloom. They won't use it for games. The next generation is 3 - 4 years off (if you believe the "i-analysts") - DVD's can hold out that long imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

sprinkles wrote: »
    .....The next generation is 3 - 4 years off (if you believe the "i-analysts") - DVD's can hold out that long imo.

I hope so, i've got over 5 billion dvd's......:D

& 3 Blu-Ray movies! :(

sprinkles wrote: »
    I really don't think that the extra storage issue will come into play this generation so I don't think that the 360 will fail as a games machine.

Played Lost Odyssey yet?

4 Dual layered DVDs.......

It has already come into play tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea while I wouldn't mind getting into a bit of HD movie action, there are a number of factors which turn me off now

1. 360 is way too noisy for films. even quiet bits in games it gets distracting.

2. Have a huge DVD collection and my Upscaling player still keeps me happy.

3. Was leaning heavily towards HD-DVD.

I defo think I will be waiting for the next generation before moving to a different medium for films. Unless the Video shops etc for me to move through lack of rental options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Played Lost Odyssey yet?

4 Dual layered DVDs.......

It has already come into play tbh.

Come on. That's hardly the norm nor will it be for a while yet. Multi Disc games (2 discs) if needed will not be unbearable.

No multiplatform game is benefiting from bluray at the minute. Any game that uses more than the 8.9g on a bluray disc is down to lazy compressing and is the developers fault. Very few games on the xbox at the minute come close to filling the capacity of a dual layer dvd.

The need for bluray capacity could be held off until the next gen - that said I reckon we'll see a repeat of the release schedules we had this time around and the PS4 could be a year or 2 behind the Xbox361 so perhaps it may turn out to be required for the PS3 - still don't think the xbox will need it.

• Advertisement

well i think ive decided.
    I am going to get a Playstation 3 in the states in a couple of weeks. Far cheaper (€270) and i have vouchers so will basically be free.
    Only downside would be no being able to play region 2 Blu-Ray but that doesnt bother me as I wont be buying any here at such high prices.
    So ill use the xbox for HD-dvd and region 2 dvds and Playstation for Blu-Ray and region 1 dvds.
    I buy most dvds and HD films in the states and i think the Blu-Ray addon would again restrict to region B(2) Blu-Rays and dvds.

Prefer to use them for movies and streaming show downloads than playing games.
    And with the HD projector i just got, cant be left without Blu-Ray.....

Advertisement