Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Xbox 360 Blu-Ray add-on. Where to buy?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭omalleyTown

Varik wrote: »
    ps3 out sold 360 in january in the us,so did the ps2 but that does not count ms said it was due to stock shortages.

but i agree multi platform will rule this gen ,prob be no console winner

gta 4 getting nearer

Microsoft was only stock constrained with the Elite and Premium versions of the 360. You know, the only ones people should be buying. There were mountains of Arcade and Halo 360's in the retail chain for the month of January.

Something is a bit dodgy here. This was their 3rd christmas in the states. There is no way they were completly blind to what consumers might want in the new year. This is the company that forced extra units on retail just to meet their 10 million shipped target.

It looks they were clearing the retail channel for something.

Or they just messed up. Either way we'll find out this week at GDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

This was exactly what Sony needed. I think it was there only hope of catching the 360, but alot of damage has been done.

Alot of people were like me. They bought the 360 just to keep them tied over until the PS3 launch. The PS3 launch then got put back. In the meanwhile alot of excellent games began to appear on the 360. By the time the PS3 was launched, people who had planned to buy it, like me, were thinking hold on, why should I buy this. Its expensive, I dont really want Blueray yet, no decent games on it. I will wait until the price drops. Then more good games came out on the 360. The 360 is in another league when it comes to online play. You can download HD movies online. The PS3 still has no great exclusive, so why buy it ? The answer alot of people reached was there is no reason to buy it. One of my friends was a huge playstation fan, but has converted to 360 with the sceaniro above

Whoever actually sells more consoles is really not important here as Microsft will be the big winner. The reason is that they regard the home console market as I very long term investment. They want the 360 to be a home entermaint hub. By the end of the current console war, they will have greatly increased their percentage share of the market and will have released the next generation console before Sony, so they will be able to repeat the process again. MS should release a blueray drive for 99 euro if they really want to be agressive maybe with a free DVD.

As you can see from below I am not loyal to any manufacturer. I have owned something from them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Looks like Microsoft has said they wont be adding Blu-Ray to xbox.

Looking forward to adding my PS3 now.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a89966/microsoft-says-no-to-xbox-blu-ray.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Microsoft pulls plug on HD DVD players
    SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp. said it will stop making HD DVD players for its Xbox 360 video game system after Toshiba Corp. ceded the high-definition video format battle to Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray.

Microsoft said Saturday it would continue to provide standard warranty support for its HD DVD players. Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida last week estimated about 300,000 people own the Microsoft video player, sold as a separate $130 add-on for the Xbox 360.

"HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own," Blair Westlake, a corporate vice president of Microsoft's media and entertainment group, said in a written statement.

Microsoft was one of HD DVD's main backers, along with Intel Corp. and Japanese electronics maker NEC Corp., and its support for the format was seen as a big win for Toshiba's format.

But support for the HD DVD waned as major movie studios — Sony Pictures, Walt Disney Co., News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox and Warner Bros. Entertainment — picked Blu-ray to distribute high-def DVDs. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. struck what seemed to be the final blow just over a week ago when it said it would only sell Blu-ray players and discs.

Microsoft said it is looking at how the HD DVD technology it has developed, such as HDi, which adds interactive features to HD DVDs, and its VC-1 video encoding technology, can be applied to other platforms.

The Redmond-based software maker said the decision to stop selling HD DVD players won't have a material impact on its video game business.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080224/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_hd_dvd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sprinkles wrote: »
    No multiplatform game is benefiting from bluray at the minute. QUOTE]

the PS3's Blu-ray version of MLB 2K8 has given the console a sizable advantage over the 360 regarding the amount of content that will be included in the final retail version.

"There is so much content included in the game that it couldn’t all fit onto the 360 disc. Free downloadable content will be provided for what was left out."

The 360 version of the game is having the unlockable stadiums and Cool Base alternate uniforms left out of the final retail version, while the PS3 version has the features included on its Blu-ray disc.

this game means notting to me but it's big the u.s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

was gna get my dad to buy a ps3 for me from america for blu ray, but tbh i think ms will eventually bring an xbox blu ray player..

it would be financially wise and easy accomplished id say

so im just gna wait

i still cant weigh up paying 30-40 euro for blurays i have on dvd for a difference that isnt cost worthy imo

and yes ive seen d-dvd, bluray and normal...and ill stick with normal dvd until bluray comes to between 15-20

Well they said they wont be bringing out a blu-ray addon

Im going over next week and will pick up my PS3. Got a PS3, remote and 4 Blu-Ray movies delivered for €355.
    The blu-ray movies over there are way cheaper than here.

So ill play region2 dvds and HD-DVDs on my xbox and region 1 dvds and region A (and all region) Blu-Ray on my PS3.

Got the PS3 in the states mainly because it is much cheaper, had vouchers to use and i could get cheaper Blu-Ray movies from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Ur jumping the gun we dont even know if a blue ray drive will be Released

Well if it is released it will be locked to my consoles region and i need it to be region 1.
    So its the best solution for me.

But MS confirming they wont be releasing a Blu-Ray addon just made it a easier decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

well im going gran canaria again this summer for 4 months, and when i was there last year 60gb ps3's where 300 euro ..

blurays were 20 euro but dno if copies or not, looked real

might pick one upwhen im over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Plenty of blu-rays available on amazon.com for under 20 and piles of the region 1 Blu-Rays work over here. See here for a list http://bluray.liesinc.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/07/sony_apple_microsoft_in_bluray_talks/

deffo a blu-ray add on on the way by the looks of it

Advertisement