Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - Spare Tire?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

I have an NCT coming up and was wondering if it is a requirement to have a spare tire with you at the time of testing?

Haven't got one at the moment and want to know if they can fail you for not having one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

keen wrote: »
    I have an NCT coming up and was wondering if it is a requirement to have a spare tire with you at the time of testing?

Haven't got one at the moment and want to know if they can fail you for not having one.

Yes, they can so you'll waste your money.
    Take my advice and get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Abraham wrote: »
    Yes, they can so you'll waste your money.
    Take my advice and get it sorted.

Eh not they cant actually, unless its a psv vehicle. A standard test doesn't require any spare wheel, jack etc. The only failure relating to a spare wheel is if its insecurely fitted under the car (P56, NCT Manual)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Eh not they cant actually, unless its a psv vehicle. A standard test doesn't require any spare wheel, jack etc. The only failure relating to a spare wheel is if its insecurely fitted under the car (P56, NCT Manual)

[pedantry]If you do drive a PSV vehicle, on your way to the NCT testing centre stop at an ATM machine and enter your PIN number.[/pedantry]

I think DannyBuoy's right on this one. I'm not sure if it's actually a requirement or not but if you do have a spare, make sure it is inflated to the correct pressure.

Incidentally my car passed it's NCT yesterday with no problems and they didn't look at the spare at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Thanks for the replies, didn't need one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

javaboy wrote: »
    [pedantry]If you do drive a PSV vehicle, on your way to the NCT testing centre stop at an ATM machine and enter your PIN number.[/pedantry]

eh? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A spare wheel is not a legal requirement in a private car.

If the spare wheel is mounted underneath they will check the cradle to ensure it is secure.

EDIT: Oops - already said by DannyBuoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kbannon wrote: »
    eh? :confused:
    He making the point that there is no need to say PSV vehicle (public service vehicle vehicle) and cited other examples - ATM machine, PIN number etc. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He making the point that there is no need to say PSV vehicle (public service vehicle vehicle) and cited other examples - ATM machine, PIN number etc. ;)
    I see. I'm not with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

javaboy wrote: »

Thanks JB, did that. Incidentally the ATM machine was at an AIB bank :)

...I just can't help myself...:rolleyes:

Just back on topic for a second, there's a lot of things not required or covered by the test, I've mentioned before the chap who searched high and low for a reversing light switch for his car and ended up paying huge money to get it quickly, when in fact reversing lights aren't required by the test. They have the manual online, its a handy source of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Thanks JB, did that. Incidentally the ATM machine was at an AIB bank :)

...I just can't help myself...:rolleyes:

Better stop this malarkey before it gets out of hand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Dont some new cars come without a spare tyre, only a can of foam tyre inflate spray?

Advertisement