Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a VW Bora 03-05

Options
  • 18-02-2008 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi

I'm buying a VW bora fairly soon. Interested particularly from 2003 upwards. I would like to hear some opinions on it?

- What about it as a 1.4LTR? Is the car good for it or to heavy for 1.4?

- Is Comfortline the top notch model available? Does it vary or should it be standard in each comfortline Bora?

- Good for a first car?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Garda_boss

Would be great as a first car. Nice size, well made and cheaper than a golf.
    If you can get a 130bhp Tdi go for it. Seriously quick and fuel efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I had a Bora (albiet a 99) 1.6l petrol and it did me fine for the drive to work, but when it came to selling it I had no one who wanted to buy it, and it did suffer huge depreciation.

These cars don't hold their value as well as a golf, so thats a good thing if you are a buyer, and a bad thing if you want to sell the car a few years down the road.

I reccommend you go for a diesel, definitely. Better emissions and fuel econonomy and you will be able to sell the car on much more easily in the future. Try to go for an SE model as well that has all the nice extra bits. It might be worth considering buying the car from the UK because you get alot more as standard on cars over there than in Ireland.

I had a look at VW Bora prices on carzone recently and they were wayy overpriced, as are most cars there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I had 1.4 bora many moons ago,and back driving a bora again now things to look out for would be

I would steer clear of high mileage ones even with a full service history the 1.4 isnt the greatest engine VW ever made and the things like tappets are known to go,also the gear boxes on them are pretty weak.

If it has 18" wheels i would also ask how long the wheels have been on it etc as the force needed to turn big heavy wheels has been known to accelerate gearbox failure.

As said the TDI 130 or 150 is the one to go for seriously fast and seriously economical.

Door locks have been known to fail common problem on the MK4 based cars,can be costly enough to replace so ask the owner has he replaced any.

Apart from the above look for obvious things like timing belt/water pump etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

- Is Comfortline the top notch model available? Does it vary or should it be standard in each comfortline Bora?

Thanks

Comfortline is the base spec - Highline is the top spec I think.

Advertisement