Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v UK Pricing

Options
  • 18-02-2008 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Last year we had a child and decided to use Aptamil ready to use milk. The price we were charged was approximately 99c per 200ml.

It was not until I visited the UK that I realized that the price charge for the same was 52p (78c) or if you bought the value pack of 15 (not made available to Irish consumers) the price was cheaper at 33p (50c) per 200ml.

How supermarkets justify, 1). Charging double the UK rate on this product? 2.) Not offering value packs of 15.

And to cap it all the irish price has now increased by another 20% to €1.20. Using 5 a day has become very very expensive.

It is expensive enough bring up children without supermarkets ripping off consumers.

When I questioned Tesco on this they referred me to the manufactuer even though they sell the product in both UK and Ireland. All supermarkets in Ireland now charge €1.20!!!!!

How are shops allowed to get away with this?? There must me some law brought in to stop this. The free market does not work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You might want to check if there is a different VAT rate on this product in the UK and Ireland. Factor in the generally higher cost of insurance, wages and other overheads here in Ireland also.

Even with all these points taken into consideration, you may still be paying more than a UK consumer, but that is the glory of the free market after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

coffebean wrote:
    How are shops allowed to get away with this?? There must me some law brought in to stop this. The free market does not work!

An email to the Irish Time's pricewatch might get a response better than contact the supplier. pricewatch@ireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The ' ready to use milk ' is VERY expensive , we used to have a few for emergencies and for travel only is there a reason not to use the formula ?

Now back ' on thread ' the price differences between here and the UK is nothing short of a rip off.

Price compare teething gel from Boots ...... basically it's about 2-3 times the price here.

We used to stock up when we travelled to the UK.

I know costs are higher here , but sometimes I wonder if places charge high prices because they know the public will just pay them , also the lack of compititon esp in chemists is terrible , its a pure cartel.

Advertisement