Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone moved house just before applying for a grant?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi Guys,

I've poured out my woes in another post. This is just a quick question for anyone who's moved just before or during their college course.

You've got to be resident in a council/VEC's jurisdiction from October to apply for a grant from the next September. Has it happened to any grant applicant that they've moved from one county to another between October and September? What happened?

And what happens if, once you've been awarded a grant, you move? like in your 2nd or 3rd year of undergrad?

I've just emailed the Student Support Unit to get the official line on this, but it would be interesting to see what's actually happened to students in the past.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I moved during the first year. I never told them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jaunte

you might have the right idea there. Without suggesting or condoning that anyone should defraud a government service (of course), maybe what isn't asked shouldn't be volunteered. Never, ever volunteer.

Student Support Unit repeated what the regulations say- that I had to be resident in the Local Authority area from the previous October. They couldn't really tell me anything more. I still don't know if I'm allowed to leave Galway before September. I'm going to move anyway, and apply to Galway, and if they reject me, they reject me. The b******s.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

you might have the right idea there. Without suggesting or condoning that anyone should defraud a government service (of course), maybe what isn't asked shouldn't be volunteered. Never, ever volunteer.
    Well, assuming you're moving within Ireland, you're not really defrauding anyone ... the schemes are administered locally, but the money comes from central funds, so whichever county draws it down doesn't make a big difference really.

In any case, the proposed reforms (mentioned elsewhere on this forum) may tidy this up?

The reforms are hinted at being introduced for the start of the 2009/10 academic year, so the mess might still be in place before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My local VEC told me to apply to whichever VEC I was living under in October the previous year as opposed to which one I currently live in. Dunno how much you can trust that though, the girl on the phone didn't sound too sure herself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement