Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in Marraige laws

Options
  • 18-02-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

While spending many the hour in my car listening to radio, I will often find myself chewing to the metal of the steering wheel, if not throwing the radio out of the the car in discust at opinions voiced on air. Fortunatly I seem to be able to regain some sense of perspective before being tempted to ring in and let loose.
    So if anyone was lstening to Newstalk today, Oh happy Birthday Boards by the way, you can just imagine.
    So just to say as a Happily married, Hetrosexual Male with Child, Mortgage Dog, Cat and all the trimmings of what it seems the ignorant majority would like to see all living things achieve as the zenith of human perfection and happiness, I along with my wife wish you all the best of luck, Coz **** me your going to need it!!

It still amazes me how backward our society can be. Not taking the piss, genuinly the best of luck.

Regards

Simon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why should luck come into it ?

It will take people like yourself standing up and voting to make this happen.
    I think it is great that more people see that gay marriage rights are human marriage rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 simon334

You have our support, but I suppose what I was comenting on and I may stand corrected but if the radio was anything to go by, a vote is the last thing you want.

We lived in kemp town, Brighton for many years and without hesitation the quality of life, community both social and bisness was better for the G,L and B community that was so much much a part of that area.

Do you think the law will be amended without a referendum? So perhaps not good luck but you have two votes.

Kind regards

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

The tide seems to have turned in our favour according to last week's sunday indo state of the nation polling.

The thing to watch out for is whether we will get the same financial breaks, saying it will cost the government billions to give the same tax rights to gay married couples as straights. But it's a human rights issue, as you say.

Here's hoping because I want to get married someday and I've friends of mine who are engaged but can't go any further. Also, I wonder how it will affect immigration; such as one person being irish and the other foreign. I have great friends who are a couple; one irish and one canadian. The canadian has been here for about eight years and is still waiting for his citizenship to come through (it takes about two-three years seemingly). If they got married, would he become a citizen (here's hoping)

Well it should not just be a case of voting, I would also say it is somthing to lobby for.
    I wonder how many people on this forum have taken the time to even email thier T.D.s and told them that they are pro 'gay' or same sex marriage.
    If another bill was coming up taking the time to so this and to have it come from a broad section of the people a T.D. repasents can have an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

Uckkk i don't get why people find us so objectionable... it is actually mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

jady88 wrote: »
    Uckkk i don't get why people find us so objectionable... it is actually mind boggling.
    Because the Good Lord did not create us to love one another and be happy!

Or something like that.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

i am a deeply religious person and i know my bible much better than most priests and there are hundreds literally hundreds of examples of ridiculous rules etc. that we could point out that the church or churches have disregarded or at least toned down their rhetoric on but not us.

Its very irritating:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

jady88 wrote: »
    i am a deeply religious person and i know my bible much better than most priests and there are hundreds literally hundreds of examples of ridiculous rules etc. that we could point out that the church or churches have disregarded or at least toned down their rhetoric on but not us.

Its very irritating:(

Sadly it appears to be a matter of the RC church (I don't know enough about other churches to comment on them) picking and choosing the "rules" to enforce. This appears to be a subject that, sadly, they can get enough tolerance of for it to be worth maintaining. As you say, there are plenty of ridiculous rules that they've apparantly got more sense than to push, but I just wish enugh people would get on our side so that they'd get rid of this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Well you only have to go into the Christian forum to read what they think of homosexuals. If ever anyone wrote the same rhetoric of women or different races the forum would be closed down? But then to hide behind God allows much access in life!
    Im with my partner now 23 yrs met him when I was 21 and he was 25. We’ve lived most of our time abroad in the UK and returned to holy Ireland about four years ago. Civil partnership was just about to come into law there before we left, so we never benefited from that. We have to have wills, declaration of trusts etc…. due to the fact we own jointly properties here and in the UK and we share all our finances as most couples would do. We’re committed to one another for life.
    In Ireland we have absolutely no rights as a couple and in the event of either of our deaths, any member of our families can move in and take the corpus for example. In the event of serious illness or injury the partner that’s left could be overruled by a next of kin. I would agree Ireland has moved on so much since I ran away back in the eighties but has it moved on that mush? When I listen to the radio or the TV and this debate comes up, I cringe when I listen to the hatred that these strangers have against me and my partner. We have toyed with the idea of going to Belfast and getting our civil partnership on paper but it’s not the same if it’s not recognised in your own jurisdiction. Civil Rights are for all, not just for someone who is of a particular religion, race or sexual orientation. It amazes me too that we would even have to have a referendum for such a right, as if this was some sort of gift that the majority can bestow on the rest of us. If the EU told the government that there was some big fat cheque on its way if they did give us our rights, you can be sure we’d have them tomorrow.
    But you know when it comes to me having to pay my taxes in the Rep of Ireland Im a full member of society no get clauses aloud there!! Funny that!! :(

Legally you can get your partner made your next of kin for medical and taking charge of the corpse, so I would suggest looking into that.

But you are right, they are human rights issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Thank you for your advice Thaedydal. We did ask our solicitor that question and we have it written in our wills but we were told that if a next of kin contested, that certainly as far as the hospital authorities were concerned they would release to the next of kin? I must look further into this as suggested.

In the case of immediate intervention of a patient, who obviously couldn’t speak for themselves (say one of us) I always wondered if the hospital would speak to either of us or would they request only a next of kin? Imagine having to contact a solicitor during such a stressful time. Please God neither of us would ever be put in such a position. But it could happen to any of us and you don’t have to be with you partner for 23yrs what if you were with each other a year or so. We were committed to one another as much now as in our early years.

Ta:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

I know a lot of fundie Christians, its not really possible to convince them of your case.
    There is a sound biblical argument both for and against homosexuality being banned in the Bible.
    When I was a fundie Christian I was convinced that Homosexuality was wrong. I didn't have a problem with the people themselves and so became friends with a lot of the gay guys in my social group. They didn't try to convince me of anything, it was just the fact that I realised how important these issues were for people I cared about. That instantly became more important than anything written in a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

Wasn't there supposed to be movement by March. I heard March March March about this topic last year and, afaik, nothing...

Advertisement