Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Extra Connections?

• 18-02-2008 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, what's the most cost effective way of adding more ethernet ports to our router/modem? we have 4 ports on it now but as we are all lazy here we don't like plugging/unplugging cables all the time and there's a pc, 2 360's, a PS3, and 2 xbox's all vying for the 4 ports. Any suggestions? wireless is not an option btw!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Attach another switch to it? - Using one of the ports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

How much do they cost about?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=22ZL&CategorySelectedId=11176&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11176,4294960498
    I've had absolutely no problems with Netgear stuff in the past.

My networking's a tad rusty, but afair, you'll need a crossover cable to connect a switch to a router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

How much do they cost about?

Cheers :)

Between 30 and 60 euro. Get a 10/100 switch not a hub and use one of the ports and uplink you router to it. So if you buy an 8 port and you have 4 on your router that'll give you 10 if im thinking straight..!!!

Cool, routing around the store room at work i found a Linksys etherfast 5 port workgroup switch (needs a slight repair job on the power pin) I can take it to use cos it's spare. Will that do the trick? no manual with it so i'm not sure myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

found a Linksys etherfast 5 port workgroup switch

Should be grand.

Sweet, so do I need a crossover cable to link the two then? (as i said, no instructions!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Try it with a straight - a lot of modern switches and BB routers with in-built switches are auto-sensing. If it doesn't work, then make/buy a crossover.

Will do, Cheers Fruitlover :)

Advertisement