Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a mortgage after being in College

Options
  • 18-02-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently doing a postgrad in college and I want to buy a house in the summer. My other half is currently working but doesnt heard enough to get a mortgage on his own.

I have found a house that i'm really interested in, they are not finished, they are due to be finished in the autumn. I would really like one of these houses, they are willing to hold one for me if i pay them €5,000 deposit now.

What i'm really worried about is will it be hard for me to get a mortgage after being out of work the last year? Or will they go on the wages that i'll be getting from that job.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

A year out for a postgrad shouldn't really affect it, you have probably improved your earning potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Are you returning to the same job? If so that would make it easier. Otherwise it could be a bit tricky.

Your best bet is to speak to a professional. Last thing you want is to sign into a binding contract, realise you can't get a mortgage (or enough) and be forced by the builder to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

get mortgage approval first and then you can worry about paying a deposit later.

A bank will give you a mortgage if you are guaranteed work once you have completed your studies.

if you are a doctor/nurse/accountant/solicitor or in some profession where there is a demand, banks will look more favorably on your case.

if that's not the case, then you could look at the possiblity of getting a guarantor to cover you until you return to work.

Only an immediate family member with an income can become a guarantor.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lolli wrote: »
    I have found a house that i'm really interested in, they are not finished, they are due to be finished in the autumn. I would really like one of these houses, they are willing to hold one for me if i pay them €5,000 deposit now.
    Be careful in paying this deposit. Deposits tend to fix prices. Do you want to fix at today's price only to see the price drop 25% by autumn? And pay €5,000 for the privilege? And if you decide to throw away the €5,000, there might be a long waiting list (the builder's kids).

Flip side is you don't get this property.

Advertisement