Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Rio?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi
    Have 8500 Euro to spend on a car....but I can probably get additional finance of about 10k from borrowing.
    I was looking at the new Kia Rio, 5 Dr, 1.4 EX Hatchback car.
    Any thoughts?
    I was a grand off the asking price of €17100, and 0% finance on the balance of the amount (roughly €7,500).
    However, I've been telling a few people, and their reactions aren't good. Its varies from " Oh you're getting a ..........Kia...ok"
    Or " Well i didn't want to say this, but I've heard some bad reports on those cars".

Can anyone offer me honest opinion...anyone owned one? Do they give trouble? Am I a spa? should just go get myself a Toyota??!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

How about reading a review:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=984&

Going off Brand name is the most idiotic thing ever

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

craichoe wrote: »

ok, you sound like a nice guy.

I was asking for opinions from people who've actually owned one, hence the post. If i'd wanted a link to an online review i'd have asked for one thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Highly recommended if who don't like driving, don't really like cars, enjoy fresh air(draughts), cheap plastic and consider the mid seventies, tinny sounding, whiney engined Datsun Cherry as a design classic.

Having said that according to the SIMI there were 3,790 passenger Kia's registered in Ireland in 2007 so what do I know?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

craichoe wrote: »

What are you on Kia is a well known brand name its just new to the Irish market.

Id go with it i mean if your not narrowminded towards cars i mean it has a 7 year warranty if your affter reliability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I know a girl who used to have one.Front axle broke when she hit a pot-hole.

For the love of all thats good - why would you buy a new Kia Rio? At least go second hand and let the last poor b/gger pay for their mistake, not you:

http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=826153&ID=1688148

Any money you borrow to buy one of these is a complete waste. These cars are nowhere near the quality of their Japanese/European rivals. A second hand Corolla, Focus or Golf would be a much better buy - they will keep their value a hell of a lot better and be safer in a crash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Do not buy one new and be very wary buying one second hand.

Everything about the car is cheap and dont expect it to be the most reliable thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

seaner wrote: »
    Hi
    Have 8500 Euro to spend on a car....but I can probably get additional finance of about 10k from borrowing.
    I was looking at the new Kia Rio, 5 Dr, 1.4 EX Hatchback car.
    Any thoughts?
    I was a grand off the asking price of €17100, and 0% finance on the balance of the amount (roughly €7,500).
    However, I've been telling a few people, and their reactions aren't good. Its varies from " Oh you're getting a ..........Kia...ok"
    Or " Well i didn't want to say this, but I've heard some bad reports on those cars".

Can anyone offer me honest opinion...anyone owned one? Do they give trouble? Am I a spa? should just go get myself a Toyota??!

Dont mean to be a p.rick....but you sound like the average Kia buyer.......Clueless.
    If you need to ask if its rubish....chances are it is.
    A test drive will give you a better idea of what its like rather than the opinions of people here, just go down to your local Kia dealer and take one out on a drive....Im sure they would be delighted as they arnt very busy......
    Ya never know....You might love it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    just go down to your local Kia dealer and take one out on a drive....Im sure they would be delighted as they arnt very busy......

Nonsense. Cee'd, Pro ceed and Sportage are selling very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

furtzy wrote: »
    Nonsense. Cee'd, Pro ceed and Sportage are selling very well

Goes to show the general population have no interest or knowledge of cars.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Goes to show the general population have no interest or knowledge of cars.
    Explain? All of the above have 7 year warranties now so I would associate that with a wise choice. Also the Pro cee'd is a lovely little car. Had a test drive in the 1.6 CRDi recently and was impressed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

OP, My Dad drives a Kia C'eed (top spec diesel) and I have to say it's an absolutely cracking motor. It's very quick and really nice inside. Seems to be well put together. There's no rattles or anything like that.
    The Rio I'm not too sure about. It seems okay. I have to say I prefer the saloon version (sounds very uncool), but I think it's a better looking car than the hatch, especially in black. There's a fair few of them around so they seem to be selling well.
    My Da test drove the Rio, and he said it was a solid little car. But too small for him.
    It has decent kit for the price. The resale is still poor, but that's down to silly badge snobbery more than anything. If you were going to hang on to it for a few years, I would buy it.

ok, you sound like a nice guy.

I was asking for opinions from people who've actually owned one, hence the post. If i'd wanted a link to an online review i'd have asked for one thanks.

How long have you been using Boards ?

A. I suspect the opinion from your mates is mainly due to the brand name. They probably have little experience with it at all.

B. You'll get the nutcases saying Kia's are rubbish and the other half saying raving on about the warranty (but never actually mentioning what the warranty covers)

Dunno man, i recon honest johns is a much better bet. Their not around long enough to tell what the quality is like anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carina

Hey all, no need to be so nasty ! He logged onto the boards to find out some info on the KIA not to be lashed out of it. Hi Seaner, the older KIA's didn't have a very good build quality. I have worked on a KIA RIO 2003 & I really couldn't believe how plasticy & rough it was. It had gone through CV joints, a starter & a list of other major parts. The owner was trading it in for a new KIA & decided in the end to go for an Almera. The KIA wasn't a nice drive either ! Good luck with whatever decision you make.

hey all,
    thanks for the responses.
    I've done my research and I'm going ahead with the purchase. I'm deciding this for a number of reasons:

1. I took it out for a test drive and liked it.
    2. I asked what % i'd get back on it in 3 years time and have it in writing i'd get 50% back on it. Not too bad. Now I understand that i'm asking a kia dealer this, so obviously he's going to be generous. But in any case, if I decide to upgrade again in 3 years i'm getting a brand new car and a decent price on my 08 Rio.
    3.The reviews I've read online seem to be good. Yes, people are not very forgiving about the earlier version of this car, but it seems Kia have come along way since then. e.g. http://www.rte.ie/motors/2005/1110/kia_rio.html

4. Its within my price range (i really can't afford to go any higher) and i'm getting the top spec with nice extras.
    5. I think it looks good in black!:D:D

Anyway my main reason for posting was to get opinions from Kia / Rio owners. Because until now, whenever I've mentioned i'm possibly buying a Kia, I tend to get the same responses, i.e. they're no good. BUt when I question if they are talking about a Rio from 06 onwards...they all say the same. "Eh no, sure whats the difference?" . And it seems the difference is a lot.

Now unfortunately the Rio doesn't come with 7 year warranty. That's only the C'eed. But I'm getting a standard 3 year warrantly and 3 year road side assistance.

Anyway this will be my first 'new' car and I'm pretty positive about it.
    If I'm back here in 3 months with a broken front axel and my tail positively between my legs, i'll let ye all know.
    :)

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

hey all,
    thanks for the responses.
    I've done my research and I'm going ahead with the purchase. I'm deciding this for a number of reasons:

1. I took it out for a test drive and liked it.
    2. I asked what % i'd get back on it in 3 years time and have it in writing i'd get 50% back on it. Not too bad. Now I understand that i'm asking a kia dealer this, so obviously he's going to be generous. But in any case, if I decide to upgrade again in 3 years i'm getting a brand new car and a decent price on my 08 Rio.
    3.The reviews I've read online seem to be good. Yes, people are not very forgiving about the earlier version of this car, but it seems Kia have come along way since then. e.g. http://www.rte.ie/motors/2005/1110/kia_rio.html

4. Its within my price range (i really can't afford to go any higher) and i'm getting the top spec with nice extras.
    5. I think it looks good in black!:D:D

Anyway my main reason for posting was to get opinions from Kia / Rio owners. Because until now, whenever I've mentioned i'm possibly buying a Kia, I tend to get the same responses, i.e. they're no good. BUt when I question if they are talking about a Rio from 06 onwards...they all say the same. "Eh no, sure whats the difference?" . And it seems the difference is a lot.

Now unfortunately the Rio doesn't come with 7 year warranty. That's only the C'eed. But I'm getting a standard 3 year warrantly and 3 year road side assistance.

Anyway this will be my first 'new' car and I'm pretty positive about it.
    If I'm back here in 3 months with a broken front axel and my tail positively between my legs, i'll let ye all know.
    :)

cheers

Good stuff and congratulations on the purchase,
    I've worked alot with Kia's and a good few Rio's, i've always found them great and to be honest a 3 year old kia feels much tighter than a 3 year old car from most other brands (E.g. Nissan, renault, peugeot, citroen, opel...) All of these people who complain about the car usually have no grounds to do so. Ok the old rio, prior to 05 was a mess but since kia teamed up with Hyundai they are making great cars.
    There warranty covers what all warranty's cover, mechanical defects, of which i have found to be very little from the "new Kia"

"Dont mean to be a p.rick....but you sound like the average Kia buyer.......Clueless", WTF,mate, i think you sound like the clueless one

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

What are you on Kia is a well known brand name its just new to the Irish market.

Id go with it i mean if your not narrowminded towards cars i mean it has a 7 year warranty if your affter reliability

I don't think the Kia brand is new to the Irish market? - i believe the Kia Pride was available in the early to mid 90's. as was the Mentor - My buddys dad owned one. an absolute ball of gik.
    -although-
    I reckon that a car manufacturer who will stand over their vehicle for 7 years says a lot tho!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would many Kia owners read a motors forum?
    I have never owned, driven or known anyone who has one. Nonetheless, I strongly believe that you generally get what you pay for. However, the warranty would be very tempting to many who were borderline undecided.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

....I asked what % i'd get back on it in 3 years time and have it in writing i'd get 50% back on it....

Best of luck with your purchase. I hope the above didn't cloud your judgement though. Unless it's a guaranteed future trade in price it's meaningless.

Would many Kia owners read a motors forum? - why wouldn't they??
    I'm planning on owning one (in the next few days!) and I'm here. :)

As I said you don't get 7 years warranty on the Rio...only the C'eed.

Best of luck with your purchase. I hope the above didn't cloud your judgement though. Unless it's a guaranteed future trade in price it's meaningless.
    thanks!
    Well i got him to give it to me on headed paper. So i'll keep it safe anyway.
    The guy in the garage was very confident that I wouldn't have trouble with this car....and that in fact, I'd be delighted with the purchase. Now I know he's just got 16k from me...but nonetheless to give me a trade in value in writing says something.
    I asked about the 7 year warranty, but it only applies to C'eeds. The reason being he said, that it was the first car Kia have produced in their new Slovakian factory and they wanted to make a bold statement.
    I'd have gone for the C'eed only for the fact that the low spec one starts at 20k. Just too far a stretch for my budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think the rio was very slightly facelifted at the start of the year

The new one
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=868632

The old one
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=433487

Nothing major but you'd want to get the new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

thanks!
    Well i got him to give it to me on headed paper. So i'll keep it safe anyway.
    The guy in the garage was very confident that I wouldn't have trouble with this car....and that in fact, I'd be delighted with the purchase. Now I know he's just got 16k from me...but nonetheless to give me a trade in value in writing says something.
    I asked about the 7 year warranty, but it only applies to C'eeds. The reason being he said, that it was the first car Kia have produced in their new Slovakian factory and they wanted to make a bold statement.
    I'd have gone for the C'eed only for the fact that the low spec one starts at 20k. Just too far a stretch for my budget.

Were you trading in for your new Rio or was it a cash purchase? Just wondering what sort of trade in they are offering. I might be following in your foot steps in the next year or so!

no trade in. I'm actually giving my current car to my other half for nothing!!!
    So it was half cash half finance. He knocked a grand off the price straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hi Seaner,

Have owned, bought, sold a lot of cars over the years (a little side-line of mine).

A few of the newer manufacturers that have come to Ireland/Europe (Kia, Chevrolet, SsangYong, Chrysler, Jeep, Hyundai, even Suzuki & Subaru) all have very tempting offers and good value when you consider specifications... they do need to do this in order to 'tempt' buyers away from the more traditional choices.

The biggest worry I would always have buying a slightly unusual choice of motor would be where am I going to service it and are parts available if I need to replace things and what if they decide to discontinue in Ireland for some reason .... example Daewoo, Isuzu (cars), Proton, Kia & SsangYong (have both stopped importing for a while and started again) or even if the local dealer goes out of business.

It does usually take distributors a few years to get their sales and service operations sorted out and usually the first generataion of cars that come to Europe are a bit out of their depth.

Kia seem to be really kicking on up the sales league table so they must be doing something right. I do believe from reading various reports etc. that the models that are best respected are the Sorrento 4x4 and the Cee'd, not so sure about the Rio.... even though now that its in its 2nd generation a lot of the problems of the first car should sorted out.

Buying these newer brands second-hand is a great way of saving a fortune as the market is still sussing them out.... unfortunately buying new will probably end up costing you unless you keep it a long time....

7 year warranty is now on the Sportage as well as per their radio ad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I was going to post recommending the OP go for a slightly used C'eed rather than a new Rio. TBH I think the Rio is old-school Kia. The fact that Kia is offering the 7-year warranty on some models and not others speaks volumes to me. A mate of mine has the C'eed (diesel) and i've been in it a good little bit - very impressed with quality, refinement, equipment. The diesel is waaay ahead of VWs nasty 1.9 and IMO at least as refined as the quite highly regarded PSA 1.6 diesel.

Even leaving the 7 year warranty aside, this is a very attractive car for the money:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=785029

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What would happeen to the 7 year warranty if Kia pulled out of Ireland?

The same as what you'd get with a warranty from Rover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

The manufacturer would have to stand by their warranty, it is international and rover completely collapsed, it wasn't that they just pulled out of ireland. Still though kia are not at all likely to pull out of ireland, one of their best performing markets in Europe, they are beating alot of established brands on sales and stealing alot of customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Rover/MG didn't pull out, nor did R/MG have to stand over the warranty - they went into liquidation and were ultimately wound up... the reciever appointed a company called Mapfre to take care of the warranties. Still i'd take a MG ZT (75) any day over a Kia!!!

Advertisement