Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone use a project manager

• 18-02-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

We are considering using a project manager to help with building our new home- has anyone any experience of this? Anywhere we could get a sample of a contract that could be used for this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Project managers and contracts have been debated in several threads here. Run a search and you should find them or scroll back through a couple of the pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Link for contracts

This thread may help re project management

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jill

Thanks Muffler - checked the RIAI website - it seems to have contracts for an architect and client but not specifically project manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hi Jill, We start (we hope) our 320 mtr self build towards the end of March. We have appointed a 'project manager' to help during the build. We do not have a fixed contract but have agreed on a fee per hour work. I have paid already a 2k retainer and as i know this guy a long time I feel confident the arrangement will work out. You should know that I have over 20 years either directly involved in trades work or construction of some kind. Most people would think I would never need a project manager for my own project however I really believe he will be worth his weight in gold, We will build at least A3 rated house, on a tight budget. His involvement will be from supervising all sub contractors to sourcing labour and materials. His experience would, in my opinion, be similar to many of the expert posters in these forums and just to have a highly experienced pair of hands and a great technical brain will be invaluable. I have known him for a long time and together I think we will execute an excellent job. Point of all this is that if you think you know the right person and he comes at a respectable price then take them. Many many people would happily turn back the clock if they could and pay 10k to the right person and not to the eejits who caused as much in stress and shoddy work and left the clients to suffer forever with inferior work. This is rampant in Ireland and often as a selfbuilder the tradesmen will pass the buck in order to get paid and out, only do the minimum and argue 'its not my job'. The right experienced on-site man will help cut through this b*llsh*t, and ensure all trades pull their weight and clean up after themselves.

Go for it if you think you have the right person. PM me if you want more details.

Good Luck:)

Advertisement