Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singing lessons?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anyone who does these in Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'm looking too. I know there is the Galway Voice Studio, which uses the Speech level Singing method, but I've been put off that a bit by things I've read on the net.
    At the moment I'm using The Zen of Screaming DVD and CD by Melissa Cross, It's got a great vocal warm up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Try Ann Michel Durham, Shes in Rahoon.

Trained in the states, shes a vocal scientist, good for training in all genres

Very good teacher and very nice also. 087 4150037

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

+1 for Michel Durham, I went to her for a couple of years and she's very good. I also know a lot of people who go to Andres Martorell, aka Galway Voice Studio, and speak highly of him.

I'm working with a book called 'The Complete Vocal Workout: a step-by-step guide to tough vocals' by Roger Kain. Got it for about a tenner on Amazon; it has a CD and is full of good exercises. I'm definitely finding gigs easier since I started working with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Stupid question - is singing something that can be thought? I know there are different styles and levels of achievement but can just 'anybody' be thought to sing? I play a lot of geetar and would love to be able to sing properly but I cant, I'm not even close! Does one have to have a basic level of vocal ability in order for that to be built upon or are there just some people with no hope at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Stupid question - is singing something that can be thought? I know there are different styles and levels of achievement but can just 'anybody' be thought to sing? I play a lot of geetar and would love to be able to sing properly but I cant, I'm not even close! Does one have to have a basic level of vocal ability in order for that to be built upon or are there just some people with no hope at all?

I'm no expert or anything but I'm told you basically just need an ear for music then you can be taught to sing, but obviously it helps if you can sing in key naturally..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ronnie3585 wrote: »

If you have a larynx, then you can sing.

Some people have talents that mean they can learn to sing better than the average bear.

But virtually everyone (except those with very rare deformities) can sing, and can be taught to sing better than they do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

That's a coincidence, I had pm'd the OP Mike's number, and it gets recommended again here. She's really the best you're going to get in the west of Ireland, she's got the best qualifications from fairly prestigious conservatories, and her bedside manner is spot on.
    I'd also second what's been said about the speech level singing method. Yeah, yer man Andres gets a lot of custom, but... without being negative, I'd just push you toward Mike, or if you can't get an hour with her, ask her to recommend someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

heh... i was gonna say Mike too...

someone should probably take her number down... PMs for teh private infomationz...

and Ronnie, the voice is a muscle. anyone can be trained, though some will always outperform others...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

How about the great Lucia Evans ? Seen an ad offering her services (Easy lads) in the Galway Advertiser this week !!

Lucia does the SLS method too.
    But I asked Mike before about my pimping her out here, and she said go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Thanks for all the replies, didn't realist so many people had experience of this!

Yeah but in Lucia Evans ad it says "become a star!" or something similar (or so I'm told) so screw that. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jennygro

Reviving this old post,

What are Michels prices in the region of?

Fifty bucks ish per hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I think they may be going up (she's on maternity leave atm), it's 45 for a 1 hour lesson atm. started with her about 2 months ago, brilliant teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Clinque

+1 on Lucia Evans, a friend of mine had a couple of lessons with her and found her good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

On a budget?? Then I'd recommend joining a choir (seriously). A mate of mine did that to train his voice and build up a bit of music theory knowledge.

There are The Boroques or Cois Claddagh for a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Just in reference to the above post, yes the Galway Baroque singers and Cois Claddaigh are the two most prominent choirs in the city, however they generally do not take absolute beginners, entry is on an audition basis only and the standard is generally quite high with some music knowledge expected.

There is also the Galway gospel Choir, the Galway Choral association, and the Tribal choir, which I think has a slightly younger age group. Most of these choirs have a joining/membership and music fee so it isn't strictly budget singing, getting a monthly singing lesson probably works out only slightly more expensive in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And The Big Sing: no prior experience needed, no auditions, no sheet music is used, and she runs it on a per-term or per-class basis.

Great for absolute beginners, and those who just want to have some fun, or to bring their voice back into shape after some time not singing.

But it may be frustrating if you do have any serious singing background, or if you want to sign solos, or if you want to learn any music-theory from it. (Good for bodywork, though)

Advertisement