Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

dwarf hamster surprise!!

• 18-02-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

hey, our dwarf hamsters just had 6 pups... :)

have looked up all the internet sites about dealing with newborns and ive got the basics about caring for them... but said id post on here and ask if anyone had any personal experience/stories bout taking care of the lil pups :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Brilliant! Congratulations.

Never had pups myself, though I'm hoping that my hamsters will, once they move out of their sterile phase*.

*I have winter white dwarf hamsters whose fur goes white during winter, and they are sterile during this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I assume you've covered the standard don't disturb them etc.

Add a little bit of dried dog food to their diet - the mother will appreciate the extra protein while raising them and get ready for the next lot, she's probably pregnant again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

hadook wrote: »
    I assume you've covered the standard don't disturb them etc.

Add a little bit of dried dog food to their diet - the mother will appreciate the extra protein while raising them and get ready for the next lot, she's probably pregnant again :)

very likely... we didnt want to remove the dad cos he is helping a lot with the looking after... mums very tired... :) but we r tryin to give her the nutrition she needs to get her back to her usual self :)

we bought the hamsters from a new pet store that opened and the girl workin there admitted at the cashdesk she never checked their sex. we didnt mind, and bought them anyway, although not knowing much about hamsters then we coulve been inbreeding but the pups seem perfectly healthy for the moment. :)

so after a few months not knowing for definate if they were male or female.. i heard lil squeeks coming from the nest... opened the cage to check(didnt touch the nest) but one of the hamsters came out to check up on me, and i peeked in and saw 6 lil tiny naked squirming babies :) was really excited!(seen as im expecting at the moment :) )

Advertisement