Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crack in foglight = visual fail in NCT?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

i've got the auld NCT due on friday and have a crack on the front foglight drivers side, the bulb is fine and the light works but could this warrant a visual fail in the NCT?

hope not but i know they have introduced new pass/fail criteria in the recent past and was wondering if this was one of them :confused:

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'd nearly say yes(the miserable gits!), maybe Im wrong though.
    If I am right just take out the 2 front foglights then they can't fail you for having a cracked light becasue you don't have them anyway.....
    Save you the money of buying a new one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh it will fail as a visual defect, had to get mine fixed to pass it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Yep failed mine only because of that. They said if it had a cover on it it would have passed as they wouldn't have checked it. Got a new one off http://www.micksgarage.ie for €60 and fitted it myself easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'm right about it failing on that so just take the front fogs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

just cover both the lenses completely with black insulating tape. they are not allowed to remove anything during the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

tyney wrote: »
    just cover both the lenses completely with black insulating tape. they are not allowed to remove anything during the test.

Funnily enough, have my NCT tomorrow and have exactly that issue...these are small little spotlights and one has a crack (small part of cover missing)...just to doublecheck, has anyone else come across the above as a solution and passed, eg covering both front spots with black insulating tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

had a "96 mitsubishi galant. covered both fog lights with black insulating tape and passed nct.

yeh if the tape is secure and tidy it should pass no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

draffodx wrote: »
    yeh if the tape is secure and tidy it should pass no problem

Great appreciate that, gotta go find some insulating tape now :D

This was on the back of my mind ahead of the test but didnt realise it was a fail, good thing saw this posted!!

Cheers

samo wrote: »
    Great appreciate that, gotta go find some insulating tape now :D

This was on the back of my mind ahead of the test but didnt realise it was a fail, good thing saw this posted!!

Cheers

its not a guaranteed pass with the tape though, if a piece of glass is cutting through the tape or anything like that it will fail, if its just a crack it should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would you not just get broken parts of your car fixed? This ties in very well with the recent thread about people not looking after thei cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

hi,

well i think in my own situation i might as well replace the foglight altogether. rang a few places today to see if i could get my hands on a replacement and got quoted 48euro for a new one.

i had a sneaking suspicion it would fail for that which, if you think about makes a bit of sense - if your headlight was cracked you'd probably be inclined to get it fixed reasonably quickly so why not the same with a foglamp.

now as long as the bloody thing passes for everything else i will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

who_ru wrote: »
    if your headlight was cracked you'd probably be inclined to get it fixed reasonably quickly so why not the same with a foglamp.
    Headlights are a legal requirement - foglights, front or rear, are not! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Passed with a cracked foglight (and a cracked indicator on a different car). Was told cracks are ok, holes are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I have a crack in one of my fog lights, and its also got a fused bulb and ive NCT on Wed, im not doing anything to it so ill let you know how i get along, AFAIK fogs are not checked as they are optional equipment. My own are aftermarket ones too.

HJL wrote: »
    AFAIK fogs are not checked as they are optional equipment
    If they are working, they are checked to make sure they are alligned properly and not causing inconvience to others. If they are not working, they are not checked.

Moral of story - remove bulbs. ;)

If they are working, they are checked to make sure they are alligned properly and not causing inconvience to others. If they are not working, they are not checked.

Moral of story - remove bulbs. ;)

Not that simple, the housing is badly rusted, turned the screws and cant get them off! And they are tight against the bumper so i can get at the bulb bit on its own! I might pull out the fuse though. If they dont go on then it cant be checked!

I might pull out the fuse though
    Just make sure the fuse isn't shared with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I had my NCT a few weeks back and a front fog light is cracked and broken, and passed OK. It was marked N/A on forms - bloke told me they are not a legal requirement so therefore not included in the test.

bloke told me they are not a legal requirement so therefore not included in the test.
    It depends!

From NCT Manual: Reasons for Failure-

Fog Lamp

(1) Incorrectly positioned (see Page 45).
    (2) Insecurely mounted.
    (3) Switch defective.
    (4) Not white or yellow.

Auxiliary Lamp

(5) Incorrectly positioned (see diagram).
    (Spot or long range lamp)
    (6) Insecurely mounted.
    (7) Switch defective.
    (8) Not white or yellow.
    (9) Auxiliary lamp set in main beam position and does not
    extinguish when dipped beams are brought into operation.

• Advertisement

I had my NCT a few weeks back and a front fog light is cracked and broken, and passed OK. It was marked N/A on forms - bloke told me they are not a legal requirement so therefore not included in the test.

Thinking on it now, in the name of expermentation i am goin going to leave my lights the way they are just to see what happens. Im running it through anyway without doing anything so chances are it might fail on something else anyway.

in the name of expermentation
    Nah, it's in the name of research for the boards.ie brothers! :)

Fog lights and Aux lights both N/A, so they didnt check mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

just to let you know took the car to be tested and as the previous poster said the foglights are not tested so no need to worry over this one.

Advertisement