Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Haze

Options
  • 18-02-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Is it a local condition or what?

Valentia reports SMOKE HAZE at 1600z on Monday Feb 18th...

Source: http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    BELMULLET S 01 HAZE 9 71 0.0 1029
    BIRR(P) E 02 HAZE 7 75 0.0 1030
    CASEMENT E 10 FINE 6 78 0.0 1030
    CLAREMORRIS(A) SE 07 - n/a - 7 66 0.0 1030
    CLONES(P) NE 05 MIST 4 92 0.0 1031
    CORK AIRPORT E 08 MIST 7 83 0.0 1029
    DUBLIN AIRPORT NE 07 MIST 6 78 0.0 1031
    FINNER CAMP(A) E 08 - n/a - 4 87 n/a 1030
    JOHNSTOWN C (A) E 06 - n/a - 6 82 0.0 1030
    KILKENNY(P) S 03 MIST 9 63 0.0 1030
    KNOCK AIRPORT E 07 MIST 5 83 0.0 1030
    MALIN HEAD E 12 MIST 7 76 0.0 1031
    MULLINGAR(P) E 07 HAZE 7 74 0.0 1030
    ROCHES POINT(A) E 08 - n/a - 8 83 0.0 1029
    ROSSLARE E 02 MIST 7 84 0.0 1030
    SHANNON AIRPORT E 08 MIST 7 75 0.0 1029
    VALENTIA SE 04 SMOKE HAZE 10 59 0.0 1028
    NOTE: Above is based on the LATEST observations received.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Could simply be heather burning, forest fire, or something similar?

Valentia weather station is actually on the mainland at Cahersiveen - a south east wind would be blowing over the mountains down to Cahersiveen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I don't know but the air is very polluted at the moment because there has been very little mixing in the lower atmosphere over the last 7 days, so it could be a mix of pollution and mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There certainly is heather burning going on, all the mountains around me have fires lit, seems to be the time of year for it. ish they didnt do it in inversion conditions.
    At least I'm lucky here in the sense that the air is flowing down.
    In work it was milky skies and sunshine all day , at least here is nice and blue.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Longfield wrote: »
    There certainly is heather burning going on, all the mountains around me have fires lit, seems to be the time of year for it. ish they didnt do it in inversion conditions.
    At least I'm lucky here in the sense that the air is flowing down.
    In work it was milky skies and sunshine all day , at least here is nice and blue.

I figured - since I posted, I have gotten that burning turf smell and the sky is a really weird smoky yellow in the sunset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I don't know but the air is very polluted at the moment because there has been very little mixing in the lower atmosphere over the last 7 days, so it could be a mix of pollution and mist.

I was about to create a thread about this....anyone notice the insane pre-dawn and post-dusk colouration of the sky the past 2-3 days?
    This morning heading down the M1, we saw what looked like sodium lights reflected on low cloud, but there was no cloud...it's like the sun is illuminating very high cirrus layer through a haze/dust layer and turning it orange. Then that disappears and a while later it starts lightening up for dawn. This is a good 60+ minutes before sunrise and is even 10 or so minutes ahead of "real" danw
    Similarly both tonight and last night, about 20 minutes after sunset the sky has turned a lilac/yellowish orange colour, leaving everything looking very odd....also the sun disc can be seen right till it's last ray, glowing red.
    Amazing spell of dry weather...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Wertz wrote: »
    I was about to create a thread about this....anyone notice the insane pre-dawn and post-dusk colouration of the sky the past 2-3 days?
    This morning heading down the M1, we saw what looked like sodium lights reflected on low cloud, but there was no cloud...it's like the sun is illuminating very high cirrus layer through a haze/dust layer and turning it orange. Then that disappears and a while later it starts lightening up for dawn. This is a good 60+ minutes before sunrise and is even 10 or so minutes ahead of "real" danw
    Similarly both tonight and last night, about 20 minutes after sunset the sky has turned a lilac/yellowish orange colour, leaving everything looking very odd....also the sun disc can be seen right till it's last ray, glowing red.
    Amazing spell of dry weather...
    That's exactly what I've been seeing too, the sunset "glow" is particularly noticeable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

It seems that we are not alone in experiencing this sky

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=45801

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Yep, saw that really freaky sky this morning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

I was going to post about this a few days, ago, as it has been ongoing for the last few days of settled weather. I was out around the county today, and the haze is everywhere, you can barely make out the outline of the mountains against the sky, if you are more than 10-15 miles away, any bit farther, and they seem to merge into the sky. Even looking down the road a couple hundred metres, and everything starts to become grey/purple in colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I loved it this morning. Couldn't really see much of it as I was on the bus coming home but at the train station this morning it was amazing to see!

• Advertisement

I was going to post about this a few days, ago, as it has been ongoing for the last few days of settled weather. I was out around the county today, and the haze is everywhere, you can barely make out the outline of the mountains against the sky, if you are more than 10-15 miles away, any bit farther, and they seem to merge into the sky. Even looking down the road a couple hundred metres, and everything starts to become grey/purple in colour.
    That haze is common in an easterly flow in high pressure.
    A lot of it is actually unfortunately polution and worse,it's not even local polution,a lot of it is imported from the source of the air.

Theres no forest fires around here and the wind direction (such as it is) means that the haze/polution is imported from the UK in my humble opinion and I'd say I'm right as it's highly unlikely that theres anything burning over the Irish sea thats causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Wertz wrote: »
    This morning heading down the M1, we saw what looked like sodium lights reflected on low cloud, but there was no cloud...it's like the sun is illuminating very high cirrus layer through a haze/dust layer and turning it orange.

Since you mentioned it,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239514

Strange indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's an inversion. Cold air gets trapped at the bottom, capped by warmer air.
    Common occurence on the continent, where weather is more stable and less changeable. Add really calm conditions (no wind movement) and it may linger for days.

Here's a picture of Stuttgart, where the cold air is trapped between the sourrounding hills.

See the smoke rising to the cold air ceiling and then just dispersing along it.

inver07.gif

here's another one, less localised, without hills to trap the air
    c10-29w.jpg

It can be beautiful as well though:
    inversionswetterlage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dirty Brits/Europeans :D

nilhg wrote: »
    Since you mentioned it,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239514

Strange indeed.

Nice pic. I'd have killed for my camera the last few mornings but I'm always too tired to think of it and the one on the phone is awful.

I didn't get a chance to post about it yesterday but there was a repeat performance of the pre-dawn show yesterday (tues) morning. In between the banks of fog on the way to work at exactly 6.30am the same orange glow....that's a good hour+ before sun up and as well as that about 20-30mins before dawn is normally visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

there are a series of photos and commentary on this subject at the link below..

http://www.spaceweather.com/

I personnally was suffering fronm a heavy bout of flu over the weekend and early days of this week but noticed from inside the sunsets over the weekend being kind of spooky.. i thought it might have been a symptom of my condition!!

Hmmm acid skies eh? Knew it had to be some sort of really high cloud...the dawn's are never like that even when we have really clear skies. Even sorrier I didn't get pics of this now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Valentia reporting Smoke Haze at 12z today 27th Feb.

Smoke Haze again at Valentia at 1800

and to my SW half hour ago, it looked to me like smoke haze, not that I've ever had it pointed out to me, so it may be very different.

Theres gorse/heather burning all over the mountains today, not the slightest surprised smoke is being reported.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Longfield wrote: »
    Theres gorse/heather burning all over the mountains today, not the slightest surprised smoke is being reported.

That explains my observation, the wind direction is right as well.

Slightly off topic, I struggle a bit understand why they do it. The land being burned always seems to be on the higher fields or pure bogs. It hardly seems to be productive to burn the stuff at all.

I assume there must be a rational reason for it?

Not all gorse fires are intentional but any farmers starting them deliberately are probably trying to keep it at bay so it doesn't invade grazing land, especially getting it before it comes into flower (when the seeds pop).
    In hot dry weather gorse has been known to spontaneously combust.

Advertisement