Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipless or flat pedals for road commuter

Options
  • 18-02-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I'm just about ready to buy a road bike, but need to order pedals for it. It's mainly going to be used in town- I've looked at single sided SPDs like the Shimano M324s, and plain old flat pedals. I don't see the point of wearing cleated shoes on my stop/start commute, as I'd be unclipping fairly regularly, so was just going to go with flats, but if I get the single sided SPDs I have the option of shoes later I suppose. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

How long is your commute? If it's <5 miles I wouldn't bother with clipless. The single sided ones are a good solution though. It can be a hassle having to wear certain shoes whenever you use the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Morgan wrote: »
    How long is your commute? If it's <5 miles I wouldn't bother with clipless. The single sided ones are a good solution though. It can be a hassle having to wear certain shoes whenever you use the bike.

It's only about 2 miles each way, no way I'd wear cleated shoes for it. I'm even wondering if the single sided ones are worth it- might make sense to get flat ones and upgrade to clipless if I need them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'd just get flat ones and use toe clips.
    munkee wrote: »
    It's only about 2 miles each way, no way I'd wear cleated shoes for it. I'm even wondering if the single sided ones are worth it- might make sense to get flat ones and upgrade to clipless if I need them...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

agree with ghost rider, flat pedals with strapless clips all the way. no need for more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I have these (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=771) on my bike, half the time I wear them with cleats, the other half just with ordinary runners without any problems. Unless you wear really thin soled runners you won't feel the mechanism through to your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

toe clips might be a good call for you. personally i don't like em so
    I've looked at single sided SPDs like the Shimano M324s...

i actually have the shimanos you mentioned on one of my bikes (the dogbike) and find they give me the best of both worlds. short hops in normal shoes, extended spins in spds. changing shoes is easier than changing pedals, but i am regularly found clip-clopping around tesco in spds. i admit it is not a perfect system.

[aside]
    does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of spd compatible shoes that you can actually walk properly in? on concrete? without sounding like a horse or walking like a duck? the specialized mtb shoes i use don't have a thick enough sole to clear the cleat, hence the staff of tesco think i'm an off duty tapdancer...
    [/aside]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

You could always just not stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Let's not be silly. He'd still need pedals.
    fish-head wrote: »
    You could always just not stop...

Let's not be silly. He'd still need pedals.

I think you're right :) Even taking liberties with the lights which I tend to do within reason, pedals would be a plus.

Hmm..anyway, methinks flats are the right cost/functional balance for now. Cheers for all the tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I think pedalless could be the new brakeless...

• Advertisement

fish-head wrote: »
    I think pedalless could be the new brakeless...

Why stop there..wheelless, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why stop there..wheelless, anyone?
    Or maybe legless?

Oh, wait, we've done that thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

pedals are for wimps

user756_1162519009.jpg

taken from here
    http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/logistics/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of spd compatible shoes that you can actually walk properly in? on concrete? without sounding like a horse or walking like a duck? the specialized mtb shoes i use don't have a thick enough sole to clear the cleat, hence the staff of tesco think i'm an off duty tapdancer...

Shimano MT90s... I've worn them to all sorts of places you wouldn't normally bring biking shoes. They're also excellent for adventure racing and hiking. Brilliant MTB footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

My commute is only 5km each way, i still wear clipless. I only ever have to stop about twice each way.
    Although I only have one bike so I couldn't be arsed changing pedals when it's time for the weekend cycles. I also have the (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=771) mentioned previously, and although it is possible to wear runners on them, they're not that comfy - not more than a km or 2 tops I'd say.
    Also once you get used to clipless it's hard to go back, it just feels wrong having your feet not attached, even toeclips feel wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

niceonetom wrote: »
    [aside]
    does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of spd compatible shoes that you can actually walk properly in? on concrete? without sounding like a horse or walking like a duck? the specialized mtb shoes i use don't have a thick enough sole to clear the cleat, hence the staff of tesco think i'm an off duty tapdancer...[/aside]
    I have Specialized Sport MTB shoes and I don't have any problems walking with them. The cleat doesn't extend beyond the rubber sole bits.
    A few weeks ago I ask LBS whether I need to change my SPD cleats. They said that that was only necessary when the rubber sole bits wear down and expose the cleat. Four years on that hasn't happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

daymobrew wrote: »
    I have Specialized Sport MTB shoes and I don't have any problems walking with them. The cleat doesn't extend beyond the rubber sole bits.
    A few weeks ago I ask LBS whether I need to change my SPD cleats. They said that that was only necessary when the rubber sole bits wear down and expose the cleat. Four years on that hasn't happened to me.

I would also examine the cleat for wear rather than only the sole of your shoe. The pedal should be harder wearing than the cleat, so by clipping in/out you are always wearing your cleat down. I change my cleats whenever I start having difficulty engaging/disengaging from the pedals. If this hasn't happened for you, then you are probably fine.

Raam wrote: »
    I would also examine the cleat for wear rather than only the sole of your shoe.
    I asked the LBS whether the cleat was worn, not whether the rubber sole was worn. The LBS said that the rubber lugs were protecting the cleat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

but but but the cleats get damaged from in and out of the pedals more-so, so just cos the rubber lugs are not damaged means nothing. It's like me asking you how much your bike cost and you telling me it's red and black!

kenmc wrote: »
    but but but the cleats get damaged from in and out of the pedals more-so, so just cos the rubber lugs are not damaged means nothing. It's like me asking you how much your bike cost and you telling me it's red and black!
    Okay. LBS said that the cleat was fine. He added that it probably wouldn't get too worn until the rubber lugs wore down.
    The cleat is metal.
    My plastic Look Keo cleats wore relatively quickly from clipping in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

daymobrew wrote: »
    Okay. LBS said that the cleat was fine. He added that it probably wouldn't get too worn until the rubber lugs wore down.
    The cleat is metal.
    My plastic Look Keo cleats wore relatively quickly from clipping in and out.

Yeah my spuds have lasted ages, but my Looks are always wearing out. I guess any walking on Looks is bad, no matter how short a distance.

Advertisement