Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassing "What is this song?" Question

Options
  • 18-02-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Ok dunno if any of you are gonna be able to help me here because I don't have chords, author or nothing. It's an instrumental song played on acoustic and EVERYBODY plays it. It's like you have to know how to play it if you play guitar but I don't know what it is. Obviously I could hum it to you if you were here but that's not an option.

The only thing that might help you is if you're a Simpsons fan. You know the episode where everyone at the plant goes on strike because there's no dental plan? And Lisa plays guitar and sings songs while they're protesting. And then Lenny says "Ok now play some classical jazz" and she plays the tune I'm talking about.

Anyone know what I'm on about??

Sorry if this is wrong forum by the way, but I figured it's a guitar-ish question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Classical Gas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Ohhhh is Lenny saying classical gas then instead of classical jazz? I was wondering. Ok so who plays it? Or rather who wrote. Hell I'm going to google it. Thanks and if mods wanna delete this thread, do cos it will save a lot of embarrassment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Mason Williams wrote it as far as i know.

Ya i learned it ages ago cool piece.I had a version with eric clapton playing it my himself on guitar got it off the internet somewhere:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Music4life wrote: »
    I had a version with eric clapton playing

Thats just a myth, Eric Clapton never covered classical gas.
    Quote from Wiki:
    There is a common misconception that Eric Clapton covered Classical Gas, the misconception was so strong that Mason Williams released a statement on his www.classicalgas.com website, "Did Eric Clapton Ever record 'Classical Gas?'

• Advertisement

Ya it figures The piece didnt sound that great.I was expecting more from clapton.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Dregon wrote: »
    Thats just a myth, Eric Clapton never covered classical gas.
    Quote from Wiki:

Huh, who'da thunk it. Pretty rampant misconception, every person I've ever met that mentioned the song thinks Clapton covered it, every youtube style clip, tab and musci blog I've ever seen credited Clapton aswell. Wonder how it became so widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

From the faq page...
    http://www.classicalgas.com/gasfaq.html
    Did Eric Clapton Ever record Classical Gas?
    There is a common misconception that Eric Clapton arranged and performed this song, but Clapton has actually never recorded Classical Gas. The misconception may come from the fact that Eric Clapton was the musical director and played much of the guitar music in the movie “The Story of Us,” however, the version of Classical Gas on the soundtrack is from Mason Williams' 1971 album “Handmade.” Visit the Recordings & Covers page for a complete list of artists who have covered Classical Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

This is how it should be played: :D

Advertisement