Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Urgent Advice Needed Newborn Pups

• 18-02-2008 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

A friend rang me last night her 1 year old bitch had puppies she did not know the dog was pregnant she thought she was over weight.

All the puppies died except one, the dog keeps wanting to bring the pup outside to a spot she has, I presume this is a nesting instinct, she is not sure if the pup is sucking on her mother I presume the mother being so young does not know what to do, the mother will not let my friend close with the pup or let her place the pup to her teats, the dog is acting motherly to the pup which is good.

I have a feeling the pup needs bottle feeding as it was late last night I told her cow's milk mixed with natural yougurt and egg to get some protein into it and if it can get some mothers milk all the better.

She needs advice not anyone taking the high moral ground as she wants this pup to survive.

I never bred dogs so do not know what to do or what advice to give any helpful suggestions only please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Has the pup got any of it's mothers milk at all? it really needs the first milk (colustrum?) to help it survive. What happened with the other pups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

good news just rang and the mother is suckling the pup in her pen.

The other pups died of hypothermia by the sounds of it, it was late at night and she only knew she gave birth when she saw a dead pup in the dogs bed, she gave birth outside.

the mother dog would not stay inside the house or in the shed and dug a nest in the flower bed and one pup survived one died as its face was covered with mucus. My friend did her best to try and get her inside the house but she would not, she brough the pups in and they did not survive, ironically the pup that survived was outside all night under her mother.

Anyway she is guarding the pup with her life and will not let it out of her sight hopefully it has a good chance of surving.

That's sad about the pups, personally I would have made the dog come inside rather than having them out in the cold, but anyway, hopefully this little pup will make it, he probably has a pretty good chance of doing so if he is now suckling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Sorry to hear the pups didn't survive, fingers crossed for the poor little one .....

Not taking the moral high ground by the way - but will you suggest to your friend that she has the dog neutered? Just to prevent anything like this happening again.

Is she going to keep the pup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I've a great suggestion - it's called a VET :(

• Advertisement

I agree with the neutering, and the pup as well when he's old enough. Is the dog always left outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

New born pups need heat or they will die of hypothermia.Also goats milk is more suitable than cows milk .You can buy a bitch milk welpi .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I was going to suggest getting her spayed too but I presume it goes without saying at this stage, nothing like waking up to find dead puppies for a wake up call that your dog should be spayed/neutered, must've been horrible for her.

Hope the new pup survives, has she contacted a vet? i would've thought that'd be her first port of call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Honestly! - a person asks for advice on how to keep a newborn pup alive, what to feed it - and instead people post about getting the bitch spayed.
    :rolleyes:

I really wish people on this forum could stop being so judgemental all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

MsFifers wrote: »
    Honestly! - a person asks for advice on how to keep a newborn pup alive, what to feed it - and instead people post about getting the bitch spayed.

I really wish people on this forum could stop being so judgemental all the time.

Firstly, poor pup - hopefully they got it to feed from the mum within the vital first 12 hours for the colostrum. For future reference OP or anyone who needs it - if you call a vet you'll be able to get a puppy replacement milk that can be fed to pups in this sort of a situation. Some pet shops also stock it.

Secondly - there are loads of people who are perfectly capable of breeding their dogs I'm sure. Willing to put the effort in to make sure that everything goes well and that dogs and pups alike both do well. But a dog who gives birth in the back garden at night when the owner didn't know she was pregnant - that's the sort of dog who needs to be spayed. Seriously, for the health of the dog (if there had been any complications that dog would have died and the owner would have been distraught) and the sake of future puppies there's a definite case for spaying if I've ever seen one.

The OP's friend would do well to bring the puppy to a vet anyway, to get him/her and the mother checked over. They dog received no special care during the pregnancy, so to be on the safe side the vet is the best port of call. And don't give me that "natural" thing crap - sensible precautions should always be taken no matter what you're doing, whether it's crossing the road or breeding your dog. And while they're there spaying the dog should be a topic of consideration because the dog got knocked up and no one noticed until she gave birth in the back yard! :rolleyes: They are not ready to breed dogs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Nobody is being judgemental, just offering advice in fairness. And you have to admit, that bitch should have been spayed in the first place - and you can't argue with that given the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I thought this thread was going to be full of people giving out but the OP asked for help and specified that there's no point in anyone getting up on their moral high ground about it and noone did. Getting the dog spayed is good advice and anyone who suggested it also wished the OP's friend good luck, I didn't detect anyone being judgemental.

Advertisement