Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military and Politics????

• 18-02-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

i have just been reading the general service booklet and it states that

"Membership of a Political
    Organisation and or Society
    If found suitable for enlistment,
    you will be required to declare that
    you will not join, or be a member
    of, or subscribe to, any political
    organisation or any secret society
    whatsoever."

does this mean that if i am a member of a political party i have to distance myself from it and cut all ties??? can anyone maybe explain what this actually means??? any help would be greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

duggie-89 wrote: »
    does this mean that if i am a member of a political party i have to distance myself from it and cut all ties???

If you join the PDF you will have to leave any political party you belong to and cease participating in any functions it carries out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yes you cut all ties. and you simply don't canvass for your Candidates. You can only vote for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

which is a good thing because politics and military= disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

What about college youth groups?

I'm politically neutral but belong to most of the political parties in college as they do some decent enough stuff for charity and so on.

I'll work with any politicial group who is doing something good for the college, they're youth groups of parties rather than independant organisations.

Anyone know the story on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

If found suitable for enlistment,
    you will be required to declare that
    you will not join, or be a member
    of, or subscribe to, any political
    organisation
    or any secret society
    whatsoever."

Does that answer it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What about college youth groups?

I'm politically neutral but belong to most of the political parties in college as they do some decent enough stuff for charity and so on.

I'll work with any politicial group who is doing something good for the college, they're youth groups of parties rather than independant organisations.

Anyone know the story on them?

As a member of the Irish Defence Forces your not allowed subscribe to, or be a member of a charity organisation either. But its not enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

its a sad day indeed cause my two life choices at the moment are either politics or military. looks like some sleepless nights ahead lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

RDF can still be involved with a political party miind.

GO ON BERTIE:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Bam Bam wrote: »
    RDF can still be involved with a political party miind.

Can we?
    Ah that's allright then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

heavy sarcasm I hope bam bam????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Bertie had nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Mairt wrote: »
    As a member of the Irish Defence Forces your not allowed subscribe to, or be a member of a charity organisation either. But its not enforced.

Interesting... when I was "in" my other half was a big wig in an Irish NGO, active in Somalia, and I was "located and asked" to arrange that she might give a briefing as to the situation on the ground to the guys heading to Somalia.

Said "briefing" was officially arranged and given.

Unfortunately, one of the Comdt's present decided to invite herself to dinner, she declined, I got leaned on for months afterwards...

P.S. M******, I've a broken back here with your name on it...

Oilrig, long memory and nasty when crossed...

Advertisement