Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette when running past walkers

• 18-02-2008 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hello board,

I've been lurking here for a while, and find this board very informative. I do most of my (marathon) training on a forest trail loop in Wicklow, and often share the paths with people out strolling the forest at various speeds. Frequently I will pass out elderly ladies who get a fright at suddenly realising a runner has appeared on their shoulder. More than once I've induced a loud scream of fright! :eek:I've tried coughing before I pass, I've dragged my feet over stones, I've even tried calling out "Behind you!", but this can give a fright too! What is the correct procedure for letting walkers know you are coming, so as not to some day give someone a heart attack?

FWIW I'm a 6'2" skinhead male (despite the handle), but I wouldn't harm a fly!

-Delia Quadrupal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

If a 6'2 skinhead male calling himself Delia appeared on my shoulder I think I'd scream to!!

I have a similar problem - I run with my dog (Comet the WonderHound) and he frequently terrifies people as he bounds past them (or even towards them - he's soft as soap but looks mean). TBH I'm not sure there is much more you can do that you aren't already but I'd be glad to hear of any solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'm a fellow trail runner in the Wicklow forests and hills. I've come across the same problem. Its worsened by many walkers wearing MP3 players so they don't even hear you if you did shout out. Not sure what etiquette can work for those you aren't in a position to even hear you.. :) Many walkers hog the pathway too by walking dead centre and force you to slow to get past...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Not a lot you can do - if they get a fright, how bad, not like they were mugged or anything, so maybe it's a good reminder to them to be more aware of their surroundings in future. You're doing a public service! How about extending this to shouting "I'm gonna get you sucka!" in a menacing growl as you approach from behind:D.

Worse I think is going past a slower runner - do you say hello? And if so, do they feel you're rubbing it in that you're faster. And often when you do go past they speed up...nearly turns into a race! I remember one time this fellow was doing the same pace as me just ahead, but the sound form his tracksuit was driving me mad, so I sped up to go past him, but he sped up as well and just tucked in behind me, so I had to speed up more to get away from the noise. And he sped up...fastest training run I've ever done. Similar in a race when I had to speed up to get away from a very annoying cougher/spitter, got me a PB as he wouldn't let me away, but the cough was so off-putting I tried harder and harder to get away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Deliaquad

Ha, that cougher could have been me! When I swapped smoking for running a couple of years ago, it took a while to get rid of a persistant hacking I'd get when I exerted myself. I'm sure I aided a few disgusted runners get PB's in 10k races!

I've passed by a few slower runners who then tagged along: fair play to them if they can keep up, a modicum of competition is quite healthy.

-DQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

I also run trails in forests for the majority of my training. I just try and make loader footsteps as I approach, with maybe a little cough. For the last few months its been nighttime, and I've good eyesught so I don't need to use a headtorch on the fireroads. I've given a few lads walking their dogs a hell of a fright (Most of the time there is no-one around at night).
    Not a lot you can do - if they get a fright, how bad, not like they were mugged or anything, so maybe it's a good reminder to them to be more aware of their surroundings in future. You're doing a public service!

Couldn't agree more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jenc

have to confess when someone running overtakes me I usually speed up and try and keep up. It's the competitive nature in us, sometimes when I'm supposed to be on a long slow run/cycle I have to remind myself to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I used to try to warn them I was approaching from behind by coughing or landing heavily on my feet but it never worked so now I just keep going and give them a fright as I pass. On the commonly used walk ways they should know there's runners and joggers out there anyway.

What bothers me is walkers who are walking towards me and see me coming but never move aside. I'm not saying they should completely clear the path and make room for me but there's room for both of us and when they're walking 3 aside and blocking the whole path and see me from a distance sticking to one side you'd think they'd make room on that one side of the path but no...they rarely do!!!

And then if I say something like 'never mind me, I'll use the road' or something they look at me like I've personally attacked them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

As you approach shout Ahoy Hoy. Its so gay people will assume you are not going to mug them. It even sounds friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Spitting does the trick, if you tend to eat/drink a lot of dairy it'll take care of itself.
    Clears the way ahead very well in general :p

kmick wrote: »
    As you approach shout Ahoy Hoy. Its so gay people will assume you are not going to mug them. It even sounds friendly.

So crazy, it might work! I'll try it out next time. Ex-cell-ant! <<rubs hands gleefully>>

-DQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Bobby04

Clum wrote: »
    On the commonly used walk ways they should know there's runners and joggers out there anyway.

Exactly. I used to try the coughing, dragging feet etc. as others have mentioned, but now I just think they should damn well be more alert, and not seem to think they are the only ones using what is infact a running track! They go walking on a running track and then get all worked up when a runner passes them. :rolleyes: So why worry about them I say.
    I've also had to go "off road" many times as three or four walkers go shoulder to shoulder yapping away, and not giving a damn how you get past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Deliaquad wrote: »
    I do most of my (marathon) training on a forest trail loop in Wicklow

Have you tried to run the loop in the other direction:)

Training for the Connemarathon at the moment and run along the Wicklow way for hill training, but would like to discover some other runs.
    Where is your trail loop?

911sc wrote: »
    Have you tried to run the loop in the other direction:)

Yeah, but running backwards means the walkers surprise me ;)
    911sc wrote: »
    Training for the Connemarathon at the moment and run along the Wicklow way for hill training, but would like to discover some other runs.

I go running in Tomnafinnouge wood near Tinahely, nice runs along the river, along the path of the old railway, and you can then go into the oak forest, beautiful at any time of year. There's a stretch of the WW nearby thats great for hill running and spectacular views, but a bit muddy this time of year. There's also a lot of road runs up the mountains where you can do a 15 miler and only be passed by a tractor.

Good luck with the Conn, I'm waiting for Dublin again this year.

-DQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

There are loads of trails you can use in the south Dublin area. It just depends on where is most convenient to you (I run from my house up into the mountains).

Advertisement