Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Japan Imports and Log Books

Options
  • 18-02-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

I got my new Jap import last Friday and i was handed a "MOTOR TAX APPLICATION FOR AN IMPORTED USED VEHICLE" form. This form has all the vehicle information on it etc, chassis number, engine number, colour, year, model etc etc.

The car comes into Ireland with 0 owners as it is a new country etc and the garage registered it to my name and my home address and printed my county plates etc.

I have a question in relation to the log book.

1) Do i have to wait to receive the log book before i can use the above form to tax the car?
    2) How long does it take to receive the log book roughly?

Got to love the Irish system to be honest. Cant tax the car without insurance, cant nct the car without tax...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

1. yes
    2. Ring the dept of environment in Clare, quote the reg and they'll tell you exactly..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

1. No. You use this form to tax the vehicle for the first time. When you do this, you will get the Irish log book as well. You don't receive the new log book (or more accurately, the new VLC) until you tax the car for the first time.
    2. What he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

true, you need to tax the car, and then you'll get your log book in the post

Advertisement