Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats / Mice infestation in student accommodation

Options
  • 18-02-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Im staying in Abbey Wharf Apartments in North Main Street in Cork. About 3 weeks ago i heard noises inside the wall. Rang the landlord saying we probably have rats.

Nothing was really done and 3 weeks on, we have mice running around the worktops in our apartment and in the apartment across the way. We've both talked to the landlord on numerous occasions and the result is one mouse trap which he gave us last week. Worse, it doesn't even work, food is gone the next day and the trap is not even gone off.

Rang him giving out today and he dropped off poison which takes 21 days to kill the mice. It cost €5.50.

He is not taking this seriously enough. We need to be moved to other accommodation and have the apartment fumigated or something. What do I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You really don't want to use poison, if at all possible. The rodents will ingest it, and then die in the crawlways, between the walls and under the floorboards, leaving you with the stench.

You can investigate humane traps or ultrasonic beacons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Borrow a cat for a week maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you want talk to the housing department in the city council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

...or the PRTB? If its a student accommodation service you should be registered with them. This is a disgusting situation and you have rights! Definitely go over his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Go to the college accommodation office if it's student accommodation. I had problems with my accommodation in Galway and I did this and the woman rang them and sorted it all out. I presume the same can be done in Cork.

It's a disgrace that you have to live like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

Contact threshold about having your residence assessed as having adequite living standards. They usually carry them out in apartment blocks where the floors are uninsulated and noise between the upstairs/downstairs apartments is too high. If they find vermin then you can force the landlord to get an exterminator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

You are living there , they can come in anywhere next to pipework etc. Just buy a few cheap traps. You can get packs of 2 in the supermarket & put them down yourselves.

The landlord cannot be responsible for mice that weren't there when you moved in. ( I am sure you would have copped it last September if they were there all along) They can come in an open doorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

OMG
    thank god i clicked on this :|
    I was gonna move in there for college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

omg same thing is happening me rite now! i found out that u are obliged to report the landlord as he will be fined 1300 euro and then 130 euro for every day he doesnt get rid of them. also if u report him he cannot kick u out or anything, these rules even apply for ppl without leases. if he is fined hell soon get his ass together, also it has to be an exterminator, poison is not for inside homes its meant for outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

I forgot to reply that we got this problem sorted. First, landlord have us this €4 poison. They're in pellet form so we literally had them all over the floor. Next morning, they were all gone but we'd still hear them behind the walls. So, landlord called rentokil who came and set down these devices which had posion inside them. We had no sign of rats after that and now no more worries with em!

That was a month ago. About a week ago our washing machine broke and this guy came to fix it, who pulled out the machine and there was a dead mouse underneath it, for god knows how long!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 corky1983

omg same thing is happening me rite now! i found out that u are obliged to report the landlord as he will be fined 1300 euro and then 130 euro for every day he doesnt get rid of them. also if u report him he cannot kick u out or anything, these rules even apply for ppl without leases. if he is fined hell soon get his ass together, also it has to be an exterminator, poison is not for inside homes its meant for outside.

where did you find out this information?

Advertisement