Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AlphaChlorolose

• 18-02-2008 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

As a newbie to the forum. Would anyone know where I can source some AlphaChlorolose. I want to out some out in eggs to catch magpies and crows to use as decoy birds for our Gun club's larssen traps.

Thanks
    Bibio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I used to obtain through RGC, However note you cant use it on baited meats to poison greys and mags because of the risk of accidental poisoning of raptors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Put enough of it on a dead sheep and you wont need larsen traps!! It would be the WOM of predator control, foxes, crows, magpies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mallards

Bibio I don't want to knock you back but that stuff is pretty fierce. You can trap magpies in the larsens using just eggs on their own. I had great sucess with mine last year and after I caught the first (in about 2hrs!) I moved the call bird about and I had 23 in a few weeks. Secret is to make a little nest out of dry grass leave two hens eggs untouched in it and bust a hole in the third. If they are about they will be in it before long. Should save you a few bob too!

Mallards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

My magpie's don't touch larsen traps, absolutely no interest in them. You can get Alphachloralose in any farm shop or co-op it's under the guise of "Crow and Pigeon poison" with a blue and purple label in white container and it's ~75% (I think) Alphachloralose.
    (I said it was an anti-coagulant but I think in fact it's not)
    I believe it thins the blood and usually results in a death by hypothermia, in cold frosty weather it's savage lethal and kills within an hour, but in warm weather birds that land in a south facing tree can be alive as ever by evening. Thus to revive birds or cats :o who have taken it put them near a fire for a while (I believe there was a thread here before where someone advised giving supplementary Vitamin K also - that's for anti-coagulents like rat poison).
    This also means it's not harmful to be touching the dead birds (apart from their general uncleanliness!) unlike strychnine or something where you shouldn't really touch them unless you're wearing a Haz-Mat suit !!!

General rule is to watch it and make sure nothing that shouldn't be taking it is taking it. Put it out before dawn 5am~6am on a nice morning with white frosty and you'll have a bagfull by breakfast ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

wrote:
    You can get Alphachloralose in any farm shop or co-op it's under the guise of "Crow and Pigeon poison" with a blue and purple label in white container and it's ~75% (I think) Alphachloralose.

Pic for you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Does anyone know how much a tub this stuff costs?

you are prohibited under the recently signed derogation to use it to control avian vermin on baited meats..because of the chance of this

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/12237325?view=Eircomnet

see nonname rangers thread below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215315

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it still legal to use it on eggs?
    I am aware that even if legal, you could be charge it you kill a non vermin bird with it on eggs

You would need to check the wording of the derogation. It is printed in the irish shooters digest I don't have a copy to hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I believe it said on meats

• Advertisement

jimbo 22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much a tub this stuff costs?

I think I paid about €10 for it about three years ago... Still sealed as I've never used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Thanks for all the good info, much appreciated.

I'm aware of the recent deorgation and plan to use the alpha under very controlled conditions, in order to catch a call bird for larsen trap. I'm not having any luck at all, getting call bird by baiting trap.
    one last question, would trojan911 have the name of compnay who manufactures the poison, as I'm having difficuly locating suppliers. I did get some manyh years ago from a crowd in tippereary called Pied piper (i think).
    Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Yup still the same crowd.
    If you look very closely at the bottom of that picture it's written on the tub ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Alpha is banned on meat baits, so far this year it has poisioned 1 red kite, unknown amounts of buzzards (likely 100+) and most likely 2 Whitetailed Sea Eagles (unconfirmed).
    Don't use it, even if you think these birds don't exist in your area. The Red Kite was poisioned in Leitrim, he had flown over there from Wicklow. These birds are always on the move, just cos you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there.
    It's not worth it for the sake of killing a few magpies that might take a pheasant nest, there are other safer ways, use them.
    Hunters are supposed to be conservationists now, unlike in the past when these birds were driven to extinction by hunters. Lets prove that to the country and give these fantastic birds a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Wow! thats what killed the Kite? It certainly is not worth it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Alpha is banned on meat baits, so far this year it has poisioned 1 red kite, unknown amounts of buzzards (likely 100+) and most likely 2 Whitetailed Sea Eagles (unconfirmed).
    Don't use it, even if you think these birds don't exist in your area. The Red Kite was poisioned in Leitrim, he had flown over there from Wicklow. These birds are always on the move, just cos you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there.
    It's not worth it for the sake of killing a few magpies that might take a pheasant nest, there are other safer ways, use them.
    Hunters are supposed to be conservationists now, unlike in the past when these birds were driven to extinction by hunters. Lets prove that to the country and give these fantastic birds a chance!

+1
    The ban on this needs to be communicated better by the IFA and NARGC.

and most likely 2 Whitetailed Sea Eagles (unconfirmed).

I heard this last night, apparently the Killarney area.

bibio wrote: »
    Thanks for all the good info, much appreciated.

one last question, would trojan911 have the name of compnay who manufactures the poison, as I'm having difficuly locating suppliers. I did get some manyh years ago from a crowd in tippereary called Pied piper (i think).
    Thx

Correct, I'll PM you the full address. I bought mine in a Dairygold Co-Op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Hi All,

Like to say this forum is really good and got some excellent info on the Alpha. Just to re-assure noname ranger, I am a commited consevationalist as well as avid hunter. The alpha will be used to catch a call bird in controlled conditions in baited eggs in an urban garden, as I cannot tempt them into a baited larsen trap.
    No Kites, White tailed eagles or othe rbirds of prey will be affected. Just for the record I believe the Letrim Kite recovered and was released again, the one that was killed was shot arond the Arklow area.

Thanks
    Bibio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

bibio wrote: »
    Hi All,

Like to say this forum is really good and got some excellent info on the Alpha. Just to re-assure noname ranger, I am a commited consevationalist as well as avid hunter. The alpha will be used to catch a call bird in controlled conditions in baited eggs in an urban garden, as I cannot tempt them into a baited larsen trap.
    No Kites, White tailed eagles or othe rbirds of prey will be affected. Just for the record I believe the Letrim Kite recovered and was released again, the one that was killed was shot arond the Arklow area.

Thanks
    Bibio

Sounds fair enough, unless of course you have egyptian vultures visiting your garden:D:).
    I knew about the Kites alright, the one that took the alpha in Leitrim was released back in Wicklow alright but was hit by a train shortly afterwards. Think he was trying to catch a lift to Wexford this time, just wasn't meant to be i guess. Reminds me of a film actually, think it was called Final Destination:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I’d a okay day Monday using ALPHA 4 greys but I use dry dog food put in a bag add a spoon of Alpha and a good shake ready in a seconds, I always try to watch my baits and remove whats not taken, safe practice is best, also the government had a notice regarding poisons in the shooters digest were they post all changes that involve our past time hunting/shooting

Advertisement