Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting nail varnish out of clothes

Options
  • 18-02-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Girlfriend just spilt some black nail varnish on a pair of dark blue jeans. Anyone know if it is possible to get the stain out and what to use to do so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Acetone, aka Nail varnish remover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

WindSock wrote: »
    Nail varnish remover.

lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

She already tried that, didnt work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Can't that bleach clothes though? Esp jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Dye the jeans black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Stain Devils? They have a few in most supermarkets, a big one should have a pretty good range. They're pretty specific about what they will and will not remove, so get the right one. I got black paint on a (brand new) red sweater once and the stain devil I used got it out completely without fading or visible damage to the fabric. Denim is very different though, so it's really only a suggestion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

SW81 wrote: »
    Can't that bleach clothes though? Esp jeans?
    depends on the dye. best to try it on a seam on the inside first

you could try the acetone free nail varnish removers, but they're genearally crap. wd40 is great fro removing chewing gum but i dunno does it work on varnish. maybe try turps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

If it's had time to dry then Turpentine is all that will work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There is a Stain Devil specifically for nail varnish, I used it before and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

[chemistry nerd]I believe these days it's called Propanone! [/chemistry nerd]

• Advertisement
Advertisement