Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Internet is finally safe!

Options
  • 18-02-2008 9:53pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0218/internet.html
    The Government has appointed a Director of the Office for Internet Safety.

Announcing the appointment at a press conference on internet safety, Minister for Justice Brian Lenihan said the new role would help make the internet a safer place.

John Laffan will take up the position at the beginning of March.

The new Office for Internet Safety was announced in September 2007.

...and I can see him doing a great job too.....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Principal Officer Dept of the Environment :eek:

The people who do not know whata duct is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What your tears drip out off when you think of Ireland, when abroad.

Using the electric & internet on the Foreign train... or paying 1 eur for a glass of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wonder how it will take for the Goverment to put some extra Tax Levies on it?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

an Internet security tax,
    come on people we need to be able to pay the Internet Safety people, these people can't work for free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Cabaal wrote: »
    an Internet security tax,
    come on people we need to be able to pay the Internet Safety people, these people can't work for free :)

Just think of how many advisors the Minister will need, cough up.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yay .. they're gonna start censoring all the ****e that we speak! Hooray! China here we come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Thank god for this. I really feel safe now. The internet can be such a dangerous place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Only in Ireland, eh. I'd love to know what exactly this guy has to do all day as part of his job...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mang87 wrote: »
    Thank god for this. I really feel safe now. The internet can be such a dangerous place.

Perhaps the first suggestion will be for everyone to have Eircom';s Internet Security setup on there PC otherwise they are not allowed use the Internet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I'm sure part of his remit will be to oversee the data retention activities as a result of this EU directive jobby that the government are about to apply.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Finally someone to patrol the dark, cold Information Superhighway so that I don't have to fear being mugged by eb4y.ru or getting nearly killed by old ladies who shouldn't be allowed hold a European Computer Driving License.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Before trying to make the internet safe, they should try getting it to work properly in Ireland first. Do we have any decent ISP's in Ireland? Yeah.....I didn't think so.

Advertisement