Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AFL in Ireland

• 18-02-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Any of you lads play in the Irish league?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

There is an Irish league? More info please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Ah the powers of Google.

Found this site http://www.westdublinsaints.com/

And this one seems to be the league one but it's down at the moment http://www.arfli.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭tonton zola

It (afli) isn't the greatest site in the world, but its impressive that they have one.

I know last years grand final was in Durrow, which isn't too far from me. Missed it because I was away following Stan's Army (for all the good it did me:mad:)

It's a summer league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tireoghainted

Yeah, Teams in Dublin 3/4, Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Mullingar and activity in Belfast. Plus we're sending a national squad to The Australian Rules International Cup this August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Really? Haven't heard of that competition before. Any chance you give us some more details or link us to a site? where is the tournament held? What other countries are involved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tireoghainted

Here's some websites with coverage of the Cup.

It starts in August and is held primarily in Melbourne

Check out www.arfli.com for news on the Irish Squad

http://www.afl.com.au/Development/International/InternationalCup/tabid/10241/Page114793/0/Default.aspx

www.worldfootynews.com

Very impressive website etc, didn't realise it was all so professionally done.

Just a quick question, what is the standard like honestly? Is everyone a big fit fucker etc? Is it full of ex-GAA heads?

I'm seriously considering playing when I get back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 okarm26

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Very impressive website etc, didn't realise it was all so professionally done.

Just a quick question, what is the standard like honestly? Is everyone a big fit fucker etc? Is it full of ex-GAA heads?

I'm seriously considering playing when I get back home.

Standard is not too bad , been involved in it for the past 4 years .
    Dublin teams would have probably 50/50 when it comes to aussies/irish + a few europeans also play too. The Cork , Mulingar and the newly formed clubs would be made up of mainly locals who play gaa/rugby/soccer or dont play anything .

Everyone is not a fit Fcuker but there are some big blokes alright . Its very mixed in regards to fitness/skill levels .Which is what the training is for i guess.

A lot of people play for the social side of it , there's always a nite out on the town after if a team is travelling to another city to play a game.

Was in one of the AFL stores yesterday and they were selling the Irish and British AFL jerseys! The Irish one was going for $90 and looks pretty damn sweet. Might invest in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

Is there much activity up in Belfast regarding Aussie Rules, I would definitely be interested if there was. I know from googling that there was a club in existence once Belfast Redbacks. Any chance of a rebirth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I was just looking at the '06 ladder and I can see why Clare crows aren't playing any more!!! :D

Advertisement