Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-commerce Web Design

Options
  • 18-02-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine wants to get a website set up with an online shop. Something small. About 10 pages. I don't know anything about hosting or if it would be possible for her to host it herself without paying someone else to do that.

What would be a reasonable price to get someone to set up something like this? Other than the domain name is it just a one off fee?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

It should be just a one off fee, yes. You'd be paying for the project scoping, Information Architecture, design and development. Prices vary wildly depending on who you use. For an e-Commerce site that's going to be responsible for generating revenue in its own right as well as driving business, you'll want to ensure that you get good people on the job and expect to pay upwards of 5k for a bespoke design and e-Commerce functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Cheers for the quick response. A figure like is all I'm really looking for atm. Nothing to specific.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Get in touch with Webmonkey; he's a good chap and from any work of his I've seen has a good eye for design and is a competent developer, great all-around skill, and I gather he has very reasonable rates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Buy a hosting plan, most include one click installs of free e-commerce carts , just modify it to look and feel how you want it. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Its very easy to set up a shopping cart when you know how,
    Download Zen Cart and install, then you have a shopping software, but a shop is more complex than other websites and you have other things to take into account,

Setting up payment gateways
    Security Certs
    Product Attributes
    Delivery, Shipping charges
    Merchant accounts
    Stock Control

There's alot that is out of a designer/developers control that will occure extra charges.

I'm sure if I was setting one up from my self I could do it very cheaplyy but as Laslo said to get a proper design, and all of the above options you would be talking in the 3-5k amount.

Option 2.

Go to one of these shopping cart sites that will set up everything for you shop and hosting. You just upload the products and they look after everything else payment etc, your looking at charges of about €50-€80 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rizwan

if you still looking for help... pm me... there are many open source and paid oscommerce.. but it all depends on your requirments.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

rizwan wrote: »
    if you still looking for help... pm me... there are many open source and paid oscommerce.. but it all depends on your requirments.
    SUrely most folk on here are designers/developers so presumably there is no need to keep the discussion private, unless...

Advertisement