Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Licence Renewal

Options
  • 18-02-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine (not me) just discovered that his 10 year licence expired over a year ago. Does he just have to get a renewal form and fill it out as usual, or will the fact that he has been driving around for 18 months with an expired licence be an issue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Generally it's not a problem. I think you have 10 years before it actually lapses. Gardai aren't usually concerned although some insurance companies may be picky but I doubt it.

Tell your friend to just fill in the license renewal form and they'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

javaboy wrote: »
    I think you have 10 years before it actually lapses
    Yes, one may drive for up to 10 years on a lapsed licence before having to resit the test/tests.

javaboy wrote:
    Gardai aren't usually concerned
    It's considered to be a very minor offence.

Driving without ever having had a licence, for the relevant category of vehicle, is a much more serious offence.
    javaboy wrote:
    some insurance companies may be picky but I doubt it.
    Some ask if you hold "or have ever held" a licence in the relevant category.

Advertisement