Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiki Help

Options
  • 18-02-2008 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently trying to build a wiki, I have it installed, I just can't get my head around editing it. Would anybody be able to direct me to so me help pages in plain english. The mediawiki pages seem hard to follow.

Perhaps I have not installed it properly, would someone be willing to reinstall it for me, or even check to see if it is done properly?

Here it is: http://www.dublintransport.com

Also how do I add various feature to it such as various featured articles etc. on the main page, such as on en.wikipedia.org ?

Cheers,
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

well I can edit it? so it seems to be installed properly. I've never used this wiki before, but in general to create a new page you just put the relevant text in a link that doesn't link to anything. When the link is clicked, the wiki knows the page isn't there, so will ask you to create a new one!
    I put an example on your page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

Cool, thank you.

Does anyone know how to edit it so that only registered members can edit the pages?

Regards,
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

There should be a setting when you logon as admin.

The page does not change when I log on as admin. Only the additional tabs appear above each article (protect, delete, move, watch).

There should be a 'special pages' link in the toolbox - this is usually found on the left hand side.

In here you should find lots of options for user management - forcing users to register, only allowing certain users to access the wiki.

Spend an hour playing with it and you'll have most of the admin of the system down to a tee.

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote: »
    There should be a 'special pages' link in the toolbox - this is usually found on the left hand side.

In here you should find lots of options for user management - forcing users to register, only allowing certain users to access the wiki.

Spend an hour playing with it and you'll have most of the admin of the system down to a tee.

I've been messing around with it and yet to find the option. For some reason I can only see the same options when I am logged in , as when I am logged out.

If I PM you the admin account password would you take a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

There is a file called DefaultSettings.php with the following text:
    // Implicit group for all visitors
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createaccount']   = true;
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['read']            = true;
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['edit']            = true;
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createpage']      = true;
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createtalk']      = true;

You should remove the line granting permission to edit.

CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    There is a file called DefaultSettings.php with the following text:
    // Implicit group for all visitors
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createaccount']   = true;
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['read']            = true;
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['edit']            = true;
    [B] $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createpage']      = true;
    $wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createtalk']      = true;[/B]

You should remove the line granting permission to edit.

Cool, thanks. If I remove the bolded lines above will this mean they won't be able to create pages or talk untill registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

You might want to fix your logo, its still the default, which is the instruction how to fix it :)

Xylophonic wrote: »
    Cool, thanks. If I remove the bolded lines above will this mean they won't be able to create pages or talk untill registered?

Yup. You should also remove/comment out the 'edit' line to stop anonymous edits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement