Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

sound. hope you get the call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

sideways83 wrote: »
    being offered the esb and the engineering thing too.have decision to make tomorrow.could someone who has or is in the engineering side of it help me out.dunno what to do.?what will be involved and what are the chances of employment as they paided for us to go to college..
    I'm just finished second year of the apprenticeship and about to start the engineering in DIT. I reckon you'd be mad not to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

I agree,A full time job and a paid for degree.Crazy to turn it down.

Keep you off the streets for a few years,get qualified then assess your future.

starting the 19th.
    who here is joining me?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jj2011

starting 26th so prob be in a different class but no doubt will meet at some stage

• Advertisement

will iam sure.
    surly few more on this got it.

it went very quiet since i got d call so im not sure..cant wait to get started.you doin d apprenticeship or d degree course?

ya it did.
    ah degree course.2year app first tho.yourself

same here..2 yr apprentiseship and then 2 yrs in kevin street.been a while since i hit d books so shud be fun.did ya get a gud station near home for 1st 2 yrs??

take it ur a dub so..
    ah i did.limerick city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 leem6

jj2011 wrote: »
    same here..2 yr apprentiseship and then 2 yrs in kevin street.been a while since i hit d books so shud be fun.did ya get a gud station near home for 1st 2 yrs??
    Just out of interest how old are you 2 guys who were successful?

good stuff. not a dub...35mins away:-)

orite.
    you staying in portlaois so.

leem6 wrote: »
    Just out of interest how old are you 2 guys who were successful?
    18 lad

Give HR a call and they'll send you out a list of places to stay in Portlaoise. There's a really nice B&B type place and the Maldron down there do deals for the ESB lads.

ha youll be expereinced down there so.
    ya heard the maldron the spot.more in the room the cheaper:)

i just assumed accomodation was provided and paid for.are you sure that we have to arrange our own?

Haha yeah I'm sure, mammy's not with you to hold your hand now buddy. You're in the big bad world now.

You make your own accommodation arrangements or else drive, you'll be paid a subsistence while you're in Portlaoise. PM me if you want the number of a good place to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lc student

do me leavin this year wonder wat points wud ya need and which subjects wud i need 2 do good in? and wat wud be the best time to applie? thanks an advance

dunno lad.supose physics and engineering.
    i think twas round january or february you have to apply online.
    as for the points i havnt a clue to be honest.

• Advertisement

thanks amyway!!

sideways83 did u do leavin cert? and do u hav any tips on gettin an apprentinship with the esb?? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Gonna try this next year if it's happening again, can anyone tell me, 2 years apprenticeship, then 2 years course. What degree do ya come out with?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Gonna try this next year if it's happening again, can anyone tell me, 2 years apprenticeship, then 2 years course. What degree do ya come out with?

You start off with you're normal electrical apprenticeship including your ESB training. After completing your Phases 1-4 successfully and obtaining all credits you will do an aptitude test for your suitability for the engineering. Once you get through that you stay in college after your phase 4 to complete bridging modules to bring you up to speed as you go into 2nd year of the engineering course. However, once you leave the apprenticeship you are nothing to do with ESB anymore and are not guaranteed employment as an engineer with ESB following completion of the degree course.

Nah you do the aptitude tests at the start of the process now, you have the pick at the very start weather you want to do the engineering or not. If you pick the engineering and are selected to go through you do

2 years apprenticeship
    2 years level 7 degree
    2 years level 8 degree

That's all conditional on doing well throughout the whole process

• Registered Users Posts: 35 guemac

hi did anyone apply this year for the apprenticeship and how r people getting on who got in last year:)

Great lad.:)
    made the right decission anyway.love it

just got an email to do an online aptitude test for esb anyone done it yet and was it hard

thanks for the reply sound like a great apprenticship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Jackewacky

Also got an email for the online aptitude tests, anyone know what's involved in these? What sort of questions, difficulty level, etc? :)

Advertisement