Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ned1tp

Hey lads. Did ye have your leaving cert results when you applied ? I'm doing my leaving this year but ESB take the applications months before I'd get my results. I've a fairly decent junior cert believe it or not . won't have too bad a leaving either. I was thinking about applying for it next year using my junior cert results, do you think it's worth my while ? What tools do you get for free ? Is that just a once off to get you going or is that free tools whenever u need them ? Thanks ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭FaintBum

Ned1tp wrote: »
    Hey lads. Did ye have your leaving cert results when you applied ? I'm doing my leaving this year but ESB take the applications months before I'd get my results. I've a fairly decent junior cert believe it or not . won't have too bad a leaving either. I was thinking about applying for it next year using my junior cert results, do you think it's worth my while ? What tools do you get for free ? Is that just a once off to get you going or is that free tools whenever u need them ? Thanks ☺️

Do apply, the minimum they require is junior cert and they'll take in to consideration that you'll be awaiting LC results! The tool box is full of various size screwdrivers, Philips and flatheads, hammer, spirit level, level t square aaall sorts of stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ned1tp

Thanks, yup I sure will, fairly interested in this thread. And on getting an apprenticeship with them. I will either do that or an apprenticeship as a mechanic ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RayMcC

3 weeks since i done medical and still no word from them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Batt22

Kiki88 wrote: »
    Soon is not much of a reply. Soon could be hours, days or weeks

I did my medical a couple of weeks ago in cork aswel, heard back after about 2 and half weeks starting in the 14th of September. Does anyone know anything about how the accommodation works??

Kiki88 wrote: »
    Hi all. Can anyone who started today tell me what the first day is,? What type of clothing to wear and stuff like that. I'm starting the 14th myself

Hi. I'm from cork aswel and starting in portlaoise on the 14th September aswel do you know what the story is with accommodation and what we must do about it?? That's all I'm worried about because of like to suit it sooner rather than later so a reply from anyone would be much appreciated.. Thanks 😊

Starting on the 14th in portlaoise if anyone knows anything about what we must do with accommodation get on to me please.. Thanks all 😊

Batt22 wrote: »
    Starting on the 14th in portlaoise if anyone knows anything about what we must do with accommodation get on to me please.. Thanks all 😊

You need to organise your own accommodation, you'll be reimbirsed later. However, the first group are there for 7 weeks so it'll probably all be booked up.

Davids3639 wrote: »
    Job offer made this morning, starting September 14th

Hi David have you heard anything in regards to accommodation??

• Advertisement

FaintBum wrote: »
    You need to organise your own accommodation, you'll be reimbirsed later. However, the first group are there for 7 weeks so it'll probably all be booked up.

Okay thanks for the heads up 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Googz

Yee can stay in the maldron hotel or the heritage they both did deals for apprentice's last year anyway if the other accommodation is already booked.

Googz wrote: »
    Yee can stay in the maldron hotel or the heritage they both did deals for apprentice's last year anyway if the other accommodation is already booked.
    Thanks very much any idea what kind of deals and what the other accommodation is??

From what I can remember its about 15 to 30 euro per night for the maldron depending on how many staying in a room, and the heritage was similar price ... The other accommodation is these 2 B&Bs run by women that take in apprentice's can't remember there names but only difference there is you'll get your breakfast and dinner aswell where as with the hotels you just get the room but you'd get a grand breakfast anyway in the training centre every morning for cheap anaway if you wanted.

Googz wrote: »
    From what I can remember its about 15 to 30 euro per night for the maldron depending on how many staying in a room, and the heritage was similar price ... The other accommodation is these 2 B&Bs run by women that take in apprentice's can't remember there names but only difference there is you'll get your breakfast and dinner aswell where as with the hotels you just get the room but you'd get a grand breakfast anyway in the training centre every morning for cheap anaway if you wanted.

Perfect thanks very much great help 😊

No bother best of luck with it great opportunity.

• Advertisement

anyone get a call today??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dnk123

RayMcC wrote: »
    anyone get a call today??

Did u get a call ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andrewae86

I rang up the Maldron and they said 40 a night, are people sharing rooms or?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smokestoomuch

I rang the Maldron last week... they quoted me €75 a night PPS because the week I'm in Portlaoise is the week of ploughing championships (Mon 21st). What a dose. Same story with B&Bs/ hostels. If I didn't have a friend I can stay with in Dublin, I'd be sleeping in a ditch for two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bramwell

keep away , i work for esb , not a great place now. 3 year contracts.aiming to bring in max wage 38k working with lv mv hv up to 440kv. better off in private sector, you will be trained to do esb work but will have no pracitice of private sector.adv wage is higher in private sector

• Advertisement

bramwell wrote: »
    keep away , i work for esb , not a great place now. 3 year contracts.aiming to bring in max wage 38k working with lv mv hv up to 440kv. better off in private sector, you will be trained to do esb work but will have no pracitice of private sector.adv wage is higher in private sector

At the end of the day it's a wage and good training so

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

At the end of the day it's a wage and good training so

Agreed, but I think that expectations are too high.
    I think that a bit of a reality check would do no harm.
    Thanks, will accept a cao place for now and can always cancel it later

Why is an ESB apprenticeship the only electrical apprenticeship that you would consider?
    There are other good electrical apprenticeships out there (dare I say it some may provide superior training).

Any college course requiring a CAO application will be very different to an electrical apprenticeship. If college is your thing an apprenticeship most probably is not.
    Yeah supposed to be brilliant opportunity with good training and opportunities both with the esb and outside of them when you're qualified so fingers crossed I suppose, thanks

There are opportunities for any conscientious and experienced electricians in Ireland and abroad (in particular those with industrial experience).
    This is not something that is exclusive to ESB electricians.

Once an apprentice qualifies with the ESB there is no guarantee of a permanent position regardless of ability.
    I know a number of electricians working for various electrical contractors that served their time with the ESB.
    They enjoy the same pay and conditions as the other electricians.
    Ned1tp wrote: »
    Thanks, yup I sure will, fairly interested in this thread. And on getting an apprenticeship with them. I will either do that or an apprenticeship as a mechanic ☺️

Do you realise how different working as a mechanic is to working as an electrician? If you really want to be an electrician why are you only interested in completing an apprenticeship with the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ktow14

2011,how do you mean you think expectations are too high? And how dyu mean a bit of reality cheque is needed?

2011 wrote: »
    Agreed, but I think that expectations are too high.
    I think that a bit of a reality check would do no harm.

Why is an ESB apprenticeship the only electrical apprenticeship that you would consider?
    There are other good electrical apprenticeships out there (dare I say it some may provide superior training).

Any college course requiring a CAO application will be very different to an electrical apprenticeship. If college is your thing an apprenticeship most probably is not.

There are opportunities for any conscientious and experienced electricians in Ireland and abroad (in particular those with industrial experience).
    This is not something that is exclusive to ESB electricians.

Once an apprentice qualifies with the ESB there is no guarantee of a permanent position regardless of ability.
    I know a number of electricians working for various electrical contractors that served their time with the ESB.
    They enjoy the same pay and conditions as the other electricians.

Do you realise how different working as a mechanic is to working as an electrician? If you really want to be an electrician why are you only interested in completing an apprenticeship with the ESB?

So what's your deal with the ESB? You sound seriously begrudging of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So what's your deal with the ESB? You sound seriously begrudging of them.

Read my last post and you will see that the first thing that I do is agree with you.
    ktow14 wrote: »
    2011,how do you mean you think expectations are too high? And how dyu mean a bit of reality cheque is needed?

For the record I acknowledge that ESB apprentices receive good training and the ESB have produced plenty of high quality electricians.

However my previous post illustrates that there is the perception that the ESB electrical apprenticeship is the only one worth doing. This could not be further from the truth. If someone really wants to be an electrician I think that they are foolish to give up just because they were not successful when they applied to the ESB. In my opinion this demonstrates how little they understand about the industry.

In terms of the reality check: I think that some are of the misguided opinion that an electrician that served their time with the ESB will automatically be viewed as superior due to their experience or training to all of thise that served their time elsewhere. That is not to say that there aren't some p!ss poor electrical apprenticeships out there, there are, but there are also plenty of other excellent electrical apprenticeships out there.

Anybody have any idea what the country allowance/money is worth??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kiki88

Hey all. What did ye get up to all week the people that started Monday? Be nice to no what is ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pilchards

Definitely bitterness here. So, what year did you fail to get in? Or more like what year did you get let go at the end of the apprenticeship?
    2011 wrote: »
    Read my last post and you will see that the first thing that I do is agree with you.

For the record I acknowledge that ESB apprentices receive good training and the ESB have produced plenty of high quality electricians.

However my previous post illustrates that there is the perception that the ESB electrical apprenticeship is the only one worth doing. This could not be further from the truth. If someone really wants to be an electrician I think that they are foolish to give up just because they were not successful when they applied to the ESB. In my opinion this demonstrates how little they understand about the industry.

In terms of the reality check: I think that some are of the misguided opinion that an electrician that served their time with the ESB will automatically be viewed as superior due to their experience or training to all of thise that served their time elsewhere. That is not to say that there aren't some p!ss poor electrical apprenticeships out there, there are, but there are also plenty of other excellent electrical apprenticeships out there.

dnk123 wrote: »
    Did u get a call ?

unfortunately nothing at all yet

Pilchards wrote: »
    Definitely bitterness here.
    Show me where.

If you wish to post on this forum address the points raised in posts rather than trolling.

Like it or not there are other good electrical apprenticeships out there, this is my central point. I have made it clear that the ESB apprenticeships perform well so do insinuate that I suggested otherwise.
    So, what year did you fail to get in?

I never applied, not because I did not think it was good, but because I was offered a good apprenticeship during an exploratory chat. I am not even sure if they recruited that year or at that time of year (January).

Or more like what year did you get let go at the end of the apprenticeship?

Nice try, I started in 1990 and stayed with the same company for the next 6 years.

Are you of the opinion that there is a guarantee of post apprenticeship employment with the ESB or with other employers? I suggest that you talk with some ex-ESB apprentices.

• Advertisement

Anyway. Are ye using gats to climb the poles this week or what are ye doing? Are the harnesses reinforced fabric or leather?

Anyway. Are ye using gats to climb the poles this week or what are ye doing? Are the harnesses reinforced fabric or leather?

No climbing yet, we get harnesses and start climbing next week.

Are ye going to be there for 2 or 3 weeks? I know someone said 7 weeks but is that for everyone or just the first group gone up?

No climbing yet, we get harnesses and start climbing next week.
    So what's this weeks program. Wonder will we all meet at some stage. Maybe graduation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Pilchards wrote: »
    Definitely bitterness here.
    Somehow I doubt that:pac:
    So, what year did you fail to get in? Or more like what year did you get let go at the end of the apprenticeship?
    His points are spot on. A bit of proper reading might help you see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Davids3639

Hi, what are people doing regarding accomodation for the week of the ploughing? Options seem fairly few and far between

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭EletricMan

Hi, what are people doing regarding accomodation for the week of the ploughing? Options seem fairly few and far between

If you have a car check around Naas, Celbridge, Lucan. Around them areas. They are all near the m7 and less than a hours drive to the Esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andrewae86

Does any have a spare room from 21st for two weeks?
    Maldron is booked out for a few days which is throwing me off and I wont have a full license by then,
    Fairly desperate will have money upfront if someone has something a short walk from the training centre

All info for start date and time was in the letter with the contracts.

• Advertisement

EletricMan wrote: »
    All info for start date and time was in the letter with the contracts.

Exactly. It was on the cover letter that came with the contract.

Hows everyone getting on so far? The first group who had there 2 weeks in portlaoise are ye still there or did ye start in yer appointed areas this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PaddyHat

Right so I am going to apply for the esb this year in March.. Anyone recommend the career service day in February??

<Mod snip: As per the forum charter, no discussion of rates please. Thank you. >
    Tips would be great &#55357;&#56397;
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Not sure about the ESB rates but if your going through FAS/Solas and serving your time as an electrian they are more then that. I don't think we can discuss rates openly here but the best advice is too ring Fas/Solas and they can tell you the rates for apprentice sparks from years 1-4. And then when speaking with the esb find out are you joining as a line technician or as an electrician

PaddyHat wrote: »
    Anyone recommend the career service day in February??

These are always a good idea. We do not permit discussion about rates of pay on this forum, but you could ask at the career day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not sure about the ESB rates but if your going through FAS/Solas and serving your time as an electrian they are more then that. I don't think we can discuss rates openly here but the best advice is too ring Fas/Solas and they can tell you the rates for apprentice sparks from years 1-4. And then when speaking with the esb find out are you joining as a line technician or as an electrician

No such thing as linesmen/ electricians or general workers anymore in ESB. Unless your applying for a mechanics job or engineering officer you will be employed as a network technician or NT for short. You will qualify as an electrician at the end of the apprenticeship but you could still end up working on overhead lines etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys,
    I now see that I can't discuss rates here.
    Don't think I'll be with fas or solas, applying independently and currently working at different job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hi,

Does anyone know if there will be more apprenticeships becoming available?

Thanks,

Think its supposed to be advertised again next week.

2016 application is open from 18th of March til 8th of April 2016.

4th of April, sorry!

• Advertisement
Advertisement