Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Craicbud

I got called for interview last year for ESB but unfortunately didn't make it, but you should hear word back in the next 2-3 weeks whether you have made it or not. I got an email today saying they will be in contact with me soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oisinw87

Yeah I got the same email as well today. Hopefully I get an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Theusual1

Has anyone applied for 2018 apprenticeship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Theusual1 wrote: »
    Has anyone applied for 2018 apprenticeship?

Yeah. Got rejected immediately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Theusual1

Hard luck! You got a rejection email already??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Theusual1 wrote: »
    Hard luck! You got a rejection email already??

About 2 hours after I submitted my application. Not sure if it's because im studying Electrical Engineering in college or if it's because i looked like a thick ****er on the application but yeah.

For the sake of my self esteem, in gonna say it was the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mauramol

ESB 2018 apprenticeship- did anyone that applied for this apprenticeship in Feb/March hear anything back from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

I applied. still heard nothing. feel like a man waiting on death row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

tobey wrote: »
    I applied. still heard nothing. feel like a man waiting on death row

what usually happens next ? My cousin applied at the last minute and filled in the online test with a st patricks day hangover. Apparently he paniced at the last test . It would be a shame if he didnt get a chance to sit the test in person as many would have probably had help with them when they were doing it at home. Has anyone been rejected straight away ? No news is good news ?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

what usually happens next ? My cousin applied at the last minute and filled in the online test with a st patricks day hangover. Apparently he paniced at the last test . It would be a shame if he didnt get a chance to sit the test in person as many would have probably had help with them when they were doing it at home. Has anyone been rejected straight away ? No news is good news ?

i dont know. everything is very quite. i thought at least the people who didn't get thru would of been notified by now. Put me out of my misery. I'm a 28 year old chef with 11 years experience and I'm waiting to hear back wither i can stick it out till interview or change jobs now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 djmjam

Has anyone this year heard back after the interview stage yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emmadunne1

djmjam wrote: »
    Has anyone this year heard back after the interview stage yet?

Go to esb apprenticeship 2018 board and there are a few who have done interview, none have heard back yet, so still in with a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Silver78

My daughter is through to medicals in 2 weeks anyone else ? Anyone know what are the chances from here ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Silver78 wrote: »
    My daughter is through to medicals in 2 weeks anyone else ? Anyone know what are the chances from here ?

I would say that her chances are very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

medical is the last hurdle. It was a common saying years ago “if you get to the medical your in”

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Silver78

Thanks . Fingers crossed . It's all very long and drawn out. The suspense is killing me nevermind her lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bigred23

Anybody get offered a job ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

2011 wrote: »
    I would say that her chances are very high.

Main issue would be the colour blindness test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Esb were advertising for techs again recently

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Darren.857

Just wondering if anyone knows if they actually take on 16-17 year olds ? I know they accept application just unsure if anyone actually makes it through. Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭FaintBum

Darren.857 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if they actually take on 16-17 year olds ? I know they accept application just unsure if anyone actually makes it through. Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah they do however not very many. If you’re 16, do your theory test and if you’re 17 get your full license as this is important to ESB and will majorly help you get a place.

FaintBum wrote: »
    Yeah they do however not very many. If you’re 16, do your theory test and if you’re 17 get your full license as this is important to ESB and will majorly help you get a place.

Thanks very much I’m 16 and looking to apply, I’ll be 17 in July. Do you think I should apply even if chances are slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭FaintBum

Darren.857 wrote: »
    Thanks very much I’m 16 and looking to apply, I’ll be 17 in July. Do you think I should apply even if chances are slim?

Yep defo do apply! If you’re unsuccessful due to age then it will stand to you that you applied anyway should you reapply next year. Many apprentices that I have met along the way had to apply several times before getting in.
    However it’s not uncommon for them to hire people your age so best of luck :)

Anybody got any tips for the 300-500 words on why you are suitable for an apprenticeship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭HoggyRS

Do people qualifying from this apprenticeship get paid electricians rate or is it lower? The ad in the media states that the starting salary post qualifications is 36,000 which is below electricians rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Do people qualifying from this apprenticeship get paid electricians rate or is it lower? The ad in the media states that the starting salary post qualifications is 36,000 which is below electricians rate.

It is lower than an electricians rate, yes. However you are employed as a Network Technician not an electrician so not a proper comparison to an electrical contractors rate.

This is your flat rate but you can make more if you do on call, overtime etc. where available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Going to resurrect this thread for this year, anyone heard anything about interviews yet? I got the email saying I've progressed onto the next stage which is screening for interviews.

They did mention that it would take a few weeks more due to Covid, but wondering if anyone has been invited for interview yet?

Will they email you back if not successful? I wasn't successful last year after the tests but hopefully might make it to the interview this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Do you have any say in your career path in the ESB, from talking to linesman they felt totally deskilled it seems like you can end up doing meters for your entire career or nothing bu high voltage lines. I certainty wouldn't like to be stuck in substations for my whole career.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

Do you have any say in your career path in the ESB, from talking to linesman they felt totally deskilled it seems like you can end up doing meters for your entire career or nothing bu high voltage lines. I certainty wouldn't like to be stuck in substations for my whole career.

Yes, you do. I know lads that went in as General Workers that are in the office doing designs and lads who were linemen only who look after projects and manage contractors. Plenty of area for progression within any part of ESB. Apprenticeship is a good base and you can always do additional training courses depending on what area you’d like to go to. You don’t necessarily have to stay on the tools your whole career either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Is there an unofficial cut off to be an apprentice electrician? I'm not happy where I am and this kind of job really appeals to me. I'm in my early 30's so not sure if I'm what they would be looking for.

Advertisement