Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken capacitor

Options
  • 18-02-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Got my X1900GT from ebay today, in fairness it was well packaged but one of the capacitors has broken off in transit. It's one near the end of the card towards the plate end, so I'm hoping it's not that crucial, but I have never soldered before so I'm going to be pretty peeved if the card is already bust. Any ideas?

edit: I ask first because I don't have a cpu for my new machine, so I don't want to chance it in my main machine without a realistic idea of how it'll work.

edit: the metal pins are gone from the capacitor. to make it worse.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51481&stc=1&d=1203373498

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

How was would that be broken off in transit?? Sounds like you got screwed over on Ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got it from an actual company with thousands of positive feedback as opposed to an individual, hence why I think it's unlikely I was intentionally screwed over. Does seem strange of all things that a capacitor would break off, it's right beside the heatsink and somewhat protected. It was well packaged too. Hmm...now just to see what they say. It only cost me 40 euro + postage so the cost of sending it back on top of that is going to really take away the value aspect of it...I don't know anyone who can solder but even if I did, the capacitor is missing one of its legs/pins so I'd need some wire too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

Well look at that , I work for an electronics company (do pcb layout and design) oh and look at that an endless supply of RVK smd Can Capacitors. Find out the value cap u need ,And I will send it on to you. Also soldering ain't that bad , Plenty of flux and good iron help an awful lot.Have replace a few caps on motherboards and GFX cards in the past. Some one has the same card as you should be able to tell you what it is.

regards
    joe

Thanks Joe, appreciate the offer! Card is gone back though, they took it back for replacement and covered all postage costs. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Link to Seller? do they have any other good deals :)

• Advertisement

Avides dot com on Ebay, I got this for 41 euro, postage was only 6! They had a few ex-demo models, and the best thing is that they're covered by 12 month warranty even second hand. Don't think they sell new cards though...

Advertisement