Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP Visit card - Do I have to pay the doc to stamp the document?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Ive applied for one of them GP visit cards and got accepted once I get it stamped by my doctor.

So i was going to go up to my doc to get it stamped, whem my sister said that when she went to get hers sorted he charged her 60euro (hes fee for seeing him). Surley this defeats the purpose of getting one, they're for people who are a bit broke and cant really be affording the doctors fee!

Ive been with my Doc my whole life and dont really want to change, but do all doctors charge for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ive applied for one of them GP visit cards and got accepted once I get it stamped by my doctor.

So i was going to go up to my doc to get it stamped, whem my sister said that when she went to get hers sorted he charged her 60euro (hes fee for seeing him). Surley this defeats the purpose of getting one, they're for people who are a bit broke and cant really be affording the doctors fee!

Ive been with my Doc my whole life and dont really want to change, but do all doctors charge for this?
    I just asked the wife (senior HSE administrator in charge of GPs).

According to herself - "The GP is entitled to charge for the initial visit to get the card stamped".

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,957 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

any doctor who charges for this is taking the piss. I've had it done by 2 different surgeries and neither charged me - dropped in the form, came back and collected it a few day later. It doesn't require a consultation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If I had physically gone in to see him he probably would have, so I just left it with the receptionist and said 'can you get him to sign that when he has a minute?' and it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ellscurr wrote: »
    If I had physically gone in to see him he probably would have, so I just left it with the receptionist and said 'can you get him to sign that when he has a minute?' and it was free.

+1

This is probably the best way of doing it. If you make an appointment to see him, then you are taking up his time, and it's not entirely unreasonable for him to charge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

He doesnt have a receptionist or nurse - thats the problem. Dam I know im going to get charged, think it is a bit of a pisstake

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

have to say Wishbone Ash's response makes perfect sense, if youn don't like it there ain't much you can do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

You could just wait till you need to see him and get him to stamp it then? At least you'll be getting the best value from your €60.

You could just wait till you need to see him and get him to stamp it then? At least you'll be getting the best value from your €60.

Cant as it has to be returned to the HSE within 10days. Am just going to go up, if he charges me im going to get a full health check, might as well get me moneys worth! Thing is i dont need a health check.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

loyatemu wrote: »
    any doctor who charges for this is taking the piss. I've had it done by 2 different surgeries and neither charged me
    They are entitled to charge - whether they do so or not isn't really relevant.

How could they be "taking the piss" for doing something which they are entitled to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

He doesnt have a receptionist or nurse - thats the problem. Dam I know im going to get charged, think it is a bit of a pisstake

He has a postbox. Drop it in the letterbox, with an SAE for him to send it back to you or directly to HSE. It'll cost you 55c for the letter, instead of €55 for the visit.

• Advertisement

He has a postbox. Drop it in the letterbox, with an SAE for him to send it back to you or directly to HSE. It'll cost you 55c for the letter, instead of €55 for the visit.

Good idea, dont think he'll liem that though, hes a bit weird like that. I think if i do that he'll actually call me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Is it acceptable for a doctor to charge 40euro for a repeat monthly prescription? I don't think it is but that's what's happening a friend of mine. The doctor doesn't have a receptionist and wants my friend to come into him monthly to see how the medication is going.

It's literally a 2 minute 'how are you getting on?', 'fine thanks', 'ok, here's your prescription, 40 euro please' consultation. I can understand this for the first 2 or 3 visits after starting a new drug but every month is a joke. It's a money racked imo. If my friend thought he needed to actually see the doctor, he could make an appointment like!

The doctor is not only saving money on not having a receptionist but he's also charging the patients everytime.

My friend is reluctant to change doctors because there have been a few work-related health issues and he feels he might need the doctor's back up about this should his employer get 'heavy' about things (quite likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

July wrote: »
    Is it acceptable for a doctor to charge 40euro for a repeat monthly prescription? I don't think it is but that's what's happening a friend of mine. The doctor doesn't have a receptionist and wants my friend to come into him monthly to see how the medication is going.

It's literally a 2 minute 'how are you getting on?', 'fine thanks', 'ok, here's your prescription, 40 euro please' consultation. I can understand this for the first 2 or 3 visits after starting a new drug but every month is a joke. It's a money racked imo. If my friend thought he needed to actually see the doctor, he could make an appointment like!

The doctor is not only saving money on not having a receptionist but he's also charging the patients everytime.

My friend is reluctant to change doctors because there have been a few work-related health issues and he feels he might need the doctor's back up about this should his employer get 'heavy' about things (quite likely).

It's not up to receptionists to write perscriptions. If he needs to communicate with his doctor without a consultation, he should just drop a note in the door.

I guess the first step would be a frank discussion with the doc about the costs involved. There may well be clinical reasons why the doc needs to see the patient monthly.

Advertisement