Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly fishing line!

Options
  • 18-02-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭

hi, i need some help!!!

i have a 10ft 7/8 weight single handed trout fly rod, but I don't know what line to use??? WF6/7/8/9 etc...?

Any help, MUCH appreciated!

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The 7/8 refers to the weight of aerialised line required to compress the rod for a power stroke.
    A DT line gets heavier as you add length (in the air) but a ST or WF with a thin trailing line gets to a certain weight, and then the extra aerialised line leaves the weight of line in the air unchanged.
    So the 7/8 classification means a DT7 or a WF or ST 8.

Next: Are you casting short, medium or extremely long length lines while fishing ?

If very short lines (like on narrow streams) add a number eg instead of a DT7 use DT8. Then the shorter length of aerialised line is heavy enought to make the rod work.

On the other hand if you are throwing 30 metres (or trying to) across a wide river, then you need to drop from DT7 to eg DT6, since the longer length of DT6 is the same weight as a medium length of the recommended DT7.

As a guide ... dropping a number is the same as adding 6 feet more in the air false casting.

That's the clearest I can explain it ... hope it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

The 7/8 written on the rod is the reccomended line weight you should use with that perticular rod so weather its WF(weight forward), tapered, floating, intermadiate, sinking, fast sink all depends on what type of fishing you will be doing. mostly i use a floating line as all my fly fishing is river for trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

thanks for the replies, distance will be medium(10 metres), to long(15-20).

I presume a WF8 will be ok?

Thanks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Will it be rivers/lakes or comercial trout fishing??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

shblob wrote: »
    thanks for the replies, distance will be medium(10 metres), to long(15-20).

I presume a WF8 will be ok?

Thanks! ;)

A WF8 should do fine! :D

• Advertisement

different, maynooth fisheries, and some of the bigger rivers, boyne etc...
    Will it be rivers/lakes or comercial trout fishing??

tnx for the advice guys!

Advertisement