Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamepad Gaming on PC

Options
  • 19-02-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Got my hands on an Xbox360 controller for my PC, cheap; and it works a charm :)

Have been playing some racing games and am happy with them, but wonder is there anything else out there I can use. I'm of the Commodore64/Amiga generation and am looking for an experience along the same lines. Are there no more platformers or fighting games out for the PC, or is everything just gone FPS or RTS (best controlled with a keyboard and mouse), etc. Don't get me wrong, I have decent spec PC, play Crysis and all that, but want something a bit different, hence the new controller.

It's probably a silly question, but I said I would throw it out there and see if I'm missing anything?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Your best bet for fighting games is to use emulation. Unfortunately we can't talk about it here but there is plenty of info on the interweb about it. It's easy enough to set up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Yeah been down that road already. Was hoping to get something more up2date.

Cheers though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Actually, your REAL best bet is to look into the doujin fighting game scene -- Here's an NTSC-UK article, and HardcoreGaming101 has more -- check out BigBangBeat, for instance.

Having given out all this -- I really don't think the 360 pad is even half as good as a Dualshock for fighters (360's d-pad is woeful, stick is more suited to shooters).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

If you want something a bit different or experimental, take a look at some indy games. You'll also find tonnes of excellent platformers and shoot-'em-ups, which are perfect for a traditional joypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... there hasn't really been a load of new releases to date other than Racing games.

Heres a few you can try that i've personally played on the PC:

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    Gears of War
    Spiderman 3
    Spiderman Friend or Foe
    TMNT: The game
    Prince of Persia Trilogy
    Tomb Raider: Legend
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary
    GTA: San Andreas
    Just Cause
    Ratatouille
    Overlord
    Resident Evil: 4
    Devil May Cry: 3
    Viva Pinata

you could also try the Splinter Cell series but I personally prefer a mouse in that game for aiming.

For racing games i've played these with a PC controller:

NFS: Most Wanted, Carbon, Pro Street
    Flatout 2
    ToCA: Race Driver
    Sega Rally Revo
    Outrun 2006
    Colin McRea: DiRT
    Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights

• Advertisement
Advertisement