Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Injury You've Seen?

• 19-02-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so was just reading some of the questions in the Sports Trivia forum and the answer to one was 'David Busst'. I suddenly started to feel a little sick inside as memories of his leg wrapped around Peter Schmeichel came flooding back. For me that has to be the worst I've seen.

Other notable mentions go to:
    Henrik Larsson for Celtic against Lyon
    Luc Nilis for Aston Villa against Ipswich
    Jimmy Bullard for Fulham against Newcastle

So what gives you nightmares?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

two words

David Bust

has to be a clear winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I remember McAteer breaking his leg at Blackburn (and Ciise and Carra, what a place or broke legs). I was watching MOTD and you could hear the snap. Not pleasent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Both of Cisse's leg breaks were pretty gruesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I didn't know about David Busst until I looked it up.

Holy sh!t fukc that was not a pretty sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

David Busst

No contest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not a soccer injury, but Joe Theisman's leg break when playing for the Washington Redskins still disturbs me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Again, not soccer, but Xavi, you'll probably know this one. Nathan Brown in the AFL.

Wait until the end of the video to see the full gruesome horror of this one :D :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dave Busst no contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Bust, the sheer look of horror on schmeichels face told it all, apparently he lost an inch or 2 on the lengh of his leg, the break was so bad. I remember a pic ages ago of brolin busting his ankle, it was at a sick angle, he was never the ame after it, ask leeds and crystal palace.

Busst solely because the doctors nearly had to amputate his leg.

And to think that it was Denis Irwin that made that tackle.

• Advertisement

Busst solely because the doctors nearly had to amputate his leg.

And to think that it was Denis Irwin that made that tackle.
    I always thought Dinny had a nasty streak alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Man that Aussie rules one is nasty. There isn't too many career threatening injuries that are pleasant to watch i guess!

Regarding the McAteer leg break i remember watching MOTD myself and seeing him siting there in shock just shake his head and say "Its broken, its gone!" or something like that, the crowd were so quiet from shock also.

The Luke Nilis one was a shocker too, did he ever comeback from that?

Busst's leg break was particularly gruesome when you see the groundsman bringing a bucket out onto the field to wash away the blood :eek::eek:
    you have to wonder if the game should maybe have been abandoned after such a horrific injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Recently the Kieron Dyer one. It looked fairly bad when the replayed it in slow motion.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Clint Malarchuk
    :eek::eek:

Holy crap, a severed artery :eek::eek:

Fuuuuuuck. He could have DIED.

I was just reading about that guy.

People call John Terry a hard bastard, he hasn't a patch on this guy tbh.
    Amazingly, after receiving more than 300 stitches to close the wound, Malarchuk returned to practice four days later, having spent only one night in the hospital. And about a week after that, he was back in goal against the Quebec Nordiques. "Doctors told me to take the rest of the year off, but there was no way", Malarchuk said. "The longer you wait, the harder it's going to be. I play for keeps."

Fair fúcks to the guy.

I'm amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Henrik Larsson's will always stick out for me.

Also Michael Mols, as although it didnt look all that bad at the time, you just knew it was going to ruin his career.

DesF wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Holy crap, a severed artery :eek::eek:

Fuuuuuuck. He could have DIED.

i actually puked after watching that, and i dunno why!! iv seen some nasty stuff in my time but that was mental! :eek::eek:
    Just thinking there, a mate of mine plays football in galway and a team mate of his lost a testicle in a match after getting walked on.......obviously another horrific injury, they guy was only 18 or 19 too

gucci wrote: »
    a mate of mine plays football in galway and a team mate of his lost a testicle in a match after getting walked on.......obviously another horrific injury, they guy was only 18 or 19 too
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Every bloke who's read this has just done crossed his legs very, very quickly.

What the fúck.

That is the worst one yet imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

luke nilis's was the worst ive seen in football

worst ive seen in real life was a guy get a cricket ball full force off the bat into his balls from 3 yards away

the screams were blood curdling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I seem to recall a pretty horrific injury at Euro 92.

Involved a Danish player I think, and his knee or shin bone get messed up badly. Might have been lots of blood too?

Anyone recall this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Not really an injury but it always makes me wince.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuUTIsjE8j4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Knew someone was going to mention Phil Babb!

Michael Owen had a nasty looking injury when his leg landed awkwardly and you could just see the muscle tear on the replays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

SofaKing wrote: »
    I seem to recall a pretty horrific injury at Euro 92.

Involved a Danish player I think, and his knee or shin bone get messed up badly. Might have been lots of blood too?

Anyone recall this?
    Found it, sort've.

It was Hendrik Andersen. Had his thigh bone protruding out of his leg or something. Uggghh :/

http://www.iht.com/articles/1992/06/24/rob__6.php
    In human terms, Euro 92 probably reached as high and as low as it is going to get during Monday night's victory for Danish spirit over Dutch flair.

The match had, as the Netherlands' manager, Rinus Michels, put it, all the quality and suspense of a Hitchcock drama. Indeed, even that past master of the macabre might have squirmed at the nauseous TV close-ups of Hendrik Andersen's left thigh with its broken bone protruding through the skin of the Danish player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Friend of mine was playing in goal at u-12 or 13's in Limerick. Ball played over the defence, he came running off his line to collect it and slid on the ground to beat the striker to it, there was glass around the penalty spot where he had slid, sliced his shin wide open from the ankle to the knee. Was feckin awful to see at that age.

Playing rounders in Primary School and some poor bastard was behind the batter. Took a wallop of the tennis racket as the dude took off on a guaranteed homer.

Gash above his eye as wide as a two bit whores fanny, and twice as deep.

Blood everywhere.

He had a lovely shiner for a good month afterwards.

i didnt realise this was gonna descend into a lethal weapon style bragging match about horrific injuries :D iv had a few in my time, looking back on it the funniest was age 9 or 10 i was kicking football in my own back yard, being from the country one side of my "pitch" was bordering with my dads farm.
    Anyways long story short i was doing some sort of keepy-uppeys hitting the ball higher and higher,not watching where i was going and ran full tilt into the fence, ending up hanging meself by the football jersey out of 2strands of BARB WIRE. shredding my older brothers new liverpool kit (that i shouldnt have been wearing!) and giving myself 5 quality deep cuts on the shoulder.

My dad came out when he heard me bawling like a little girl and un-tangled me! My brother gave me a good kicking when he seen his kit, and im left with coupla quality scars that look the business!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I watched the match that Busst got injured in and I have watched it countless times after and I still cant actually see what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

David Healy's leg break while he was playing for Coventry was pretty bad.
    His leg was nearly at a 90 degree angle to the ground:eek:

How can you forget Alan Smith's injury against Liverpool as well.
    That was nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jesus, some awful images here. I wont help now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7aGCMF7Zjg&NR=1

EDIT: Apart from Buusts one, I think Smiths against Liverpool was gruesome to say the least. Was at then gf's house and I just ran away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

This one for me, just for how easy and hamrlessly it happens, and the sheer horror and pain on his face afterwards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Alan smith in the liverpool man united match wuhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

stick-dan wrote: »
    Alan smith in the liverpool man united match wuhh

That's how Riise protects his house from intruders.

Limb breaking free kicks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was at that Coventry game when Dave Busst got that horrible injury. Couldn't see how bad it was, but they were throwing buckets of water over the 6-yard box, there must have been blood. I'll never forget how Peter Schmeichal had to leave and run up to the dug-out, it looked as if he was going to be sick.

As another poster said, if you see footage it's actually hard to see how it happens, but if you do an image search you can see it properly. That one wins hands down for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Again not Soccer but horrifying I think. I've has the Stress Fracture on my shin which caused this but I stopped when it got sore, and seemingly with very good reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaX1bAL6FeI&eurl=http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/10/sportswoman-of-the-year-claire-markwardt-cross-country-runner/

1.40 into the video is where it starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67nfdeSDYzU&feature=related

Edit: the second video seems to just show her coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

That's how Riise protects his house from intruders.

Limb breaking free kicks!

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

OK, Horror story...

I was playing U-14 rugby for my school against Templeogue. After a ruck i was in i heard this scream, a horrific scream, everyone stopped... A kid had his sack ripped open. By someone's studs.

No joke. White shorts... Covered in blood. But we played on after he got in the ambulence. I dunno why.

As for this thread, Henrik Larsson. Sick.

I think we can add Eduardo to this list. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So bad they wont show the replay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

DesF wrote: »
    Playing rounders in Primary School and some poor bastard was behind the batter. Took a wallop of the tennis racket as the dude took off on a guaranteed homer.

Gash above his eye as wide as a two bit whores fanny, and twice as deep.

Blood everywhere.

He had a lovely shiner for a good month afterwards.

that happened to me except it was a hurley stick, nearly lost my eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I think we can add Eduardo to this list. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

my brother just rang me about this.....i can only imagine how bad this is. hope its not career threatning and he can recover from it. im assuming larsson/smith kinda job ya?

my brother just rang me about this.....i can only imagine how bad this is. hope its not career threatning and he can recover from it. im assuming larsson/smith kinda job ya?

Probably worse. They won't show it again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I wasn't even paying attention when it happened, still a bit hungover. Then I saw the red card and sighed, then I saw Fabregas's reaction and knew it was very serious then.

Terrible to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I read that Eduardo had a horrible injury this afternoon and they wont show a reply ?! Thats the first Ive heard of them doing that, is it a new tactic ?

Tusky wrote: »
    I read that Eduardo had a horrible injury this afternoon and they wont show a reply ?! Thats the first Ive heard of them doing that, is it a new tactic ?

I reckon it's because its lunchtime. I kinda do and don't wanna see that again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So nasty injuries in this thread but nothing compares to this:eek::eek::eek:

And he was back training within a week? Many of the so called soccer hard men are wimps compared to the guy, what a legend!

micmclo wrote: »
    And he was back training within a week? Many of the so called soccer hard men are wimps compared to the guy, what a legend!

Thats hockey for you. Where else can someone be punished for a "foul" and at the same time his opponent can be punished for diving. They take no sh*t.

So nasty injuries in this thread but nothing compares to this:eek::eek::eek:

Not meaning to make little of it, but at the end of the day it was a cut, a very serious one but a cut none the less. Most likely a clean one. Clean cuts heal very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fair point Stekelly, of course it's easier to recover from this than a leg break which is common in football. But it definitly takes serious mental toughness to get back on the rink after that.

Fair point Stekelly, of course it's easier to recover from this than a leg break which is common in football. But it definitly takes serious mental toughness to get back on the rink after that.

Yeah, tbh I'd say the worst part was looking down at his own blood spreading on the ice (you'd be surprised how small an amount of blood can look like a huge pool) and thinking to himself he could actually die.

• Advertisement
Advertisement