Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Injury You've Seen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

eh, just one thing kev, this thread wasnt started for eduardo,it was started before the game today, he has the unfortunate position of being mentioned here now though in light of todays game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Kevster wrote: »
    This thread has turned-out great: It started as a semi-tribute to Eduardo, but has now been overtaken by a select few members of low-average intelligence who are bickering with each other about issues that have no relevence to the topic.

fair enough, apologise for any part I have played in taking things off topic.

Nunu wrote: »
    Ye, you're right actually. My main problem is with the :rolleyes: smiley...I hate it:D OPENROAD used it twice in succession so I reacted accordingly:o

OK no more :rolleyes: :D at least for a week anyway :D

Breaking news....

Wenger withdraws his earlier comments,said in the heat of the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Kevster wrote: »
    This thread has turned-out great: It started as a semi-tribute to Eduardo, but has now been overtaken by a select few members of low-average intelligence who are bickering with each other about issues that have no relevence to the topic.

Firstly i'd like to wish Eduardo a full and speedy recovery.

Secondly i think its a bit low to take this opportunity to have a go at Wenger over it. I'm sure Taylor will come out with a public apology and Eduardo and Wenger will accept it. It was a emotional situation, you see an up and coming player with a career threatening injury from a reckless(at the very least) tackle. You can forgive him for being a bit over zealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

imo poor tackle not a nasty one with intent. Wenger said what that in the heat of the moment, tbh i would too. Im sure taylor is gutted too.

Was David Busst for coventry irc Irwin got sick behind goal.

Diogo just got sent off for a seriously ****ing nasty tackle vs Sevilla,thats what a tackle with intent is vs taylors poor tackle.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Wenger said what that in the heat of the moment, tbh i would too.
    kdjac

He has officially withdrawn the comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He has officially withdrawn the comment.

you cant withdraw what you said , imo he comes accross as a seriously pissed off manager with that statement who wants to protect his players.

Dont see anything wrong with what he said in the context of possibly the worst injury the PL has ever seen.

kdjac

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just a quick one, is it me or is Eduardo not wearing Shin Pads??

Really horrible injury looking at the pics but looking at MOTD and it was clumsy not malicious intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Is there any place to see the tackle from a different angle? Looks horrific but this is the first time there not showing an injury and dave busts was really bad....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

joe123 wrote: »
    Is there any place to see the tackle from a different angle? Looks horrific but this is the first time there not showing an injury and dave busts was really bad....

MOTD just showed it, his bone came out, pretty horrific alright!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

His foot and ankle almost broke completely away from his leg, complete break, he'll be lucky to play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jeez, the video on MOTD was the worst..... super slow motion from a good angle, shows it perfectly.

Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The chap will be lucky to walk again I'd say, let alone play again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Jesus, just saw the replay on the Premiership.

That's up there with Dave Bust.
    IMHO Taylors challenge was mistimed but but not full of malicious intent.

Eduardo will be lucky to play again, ya have to feel for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

A-Trak wrote: »
    Jesus, just saw the replay on the Premiership.

That's up there with Dave Bust.
    IMHO Taylors challenge was mistimed but but not full of malicious intent.

Eduardo will be lucky to play again, ya have to feel for the guy.
    His foot and ankle almost broke completely away from his leg, complete break, he'll be lucky to play again.

Too early to say lads....as horrible as it looks it might not be as bad as most fear.

In fact, if it is solely a clean break of the fibula and tibia he will most definitely be back by this time next year...it's the potential ligament/tendon/muscle damage that can lead to complications and in rare cases early retirement.

...it seems silly to say but hopefully it wast just a clean leg break.

Latest

Eduardo underwent surgery in hospital on Saturday and is currently resting. The Croatian striker sustained a broken leg in the 2-2 draw with Birmingham earlier in the day.

Everyone at Arsenal Football Club would like to wish him a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I saw that on MOTD too... ...Christ, I didn't think they'd show that. You could see his bone pop-out. I thought that Sky not showing it would have set a good precedent. Perhaps they didn't show it due to the time of day the game was on though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think you will not find one Arsenal fan on boards looking for a lifetime ban for that tackle. Also think using this as Wenger bashing is low and classless.

We just have to hope for the best.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Helix wrote: »
    Taylorsenasmijesio.jpg

he seems pretty impressed with himself there

http://www.repubblica.it/2006/05/gallerie/calcio/edorado-arsenal/13.html

You realise what you are suggesting there is that Taylor, whilst looking at Eduardo in absolute agony, decided to let out a smile because he was impressed at shattering the guys leg? Thats one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Just a quick one, is it me or is Eduardo not wearing Shin Pads??

he was. pics show it. he wouldn't have been allowed out onto the pitch anyway if he wasn't. Taylor made contact side on though which rendered them useless.

http://www.repubblica.it/2006/05/gallerie/calcio/edorado-arsenal/6.html

Maybe, maybe not Joe.

Maybe he was thinking "take that you pansy" thinking to himself it was just a knock and the eduardo would be up and running about after the magic sponge

He went in hard deliberately to show eduardo who was boss. Unfortunately he went in with his studs up and straight through his leg.

I think the last picture tells "what the **** have i done".
    He didnt mean to break his leg, but he did mean to go in hard with this studs up. When you do that its a lottery and if your unlucky the results are what happened to eduardo.

I just cant accept the standard 3 match ban for something like that.

Anyway arent studs up tackles a red card offence like a 2 footed challenge, regardless contact is made or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jank wrote: »

Are you messing. Zoom in on his face. Then dig up the video of Gary Linekar from Italia 90 when he's talkign to the bench about Gazza and saying " have a word with him". It's the best example f the same face I can think of off hand. It's a kind of "someone get over to him, he's in trouble" face.

Edit. 1:24 in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxGGsCa7tAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

You realise what you are suggesting there is that Taylor, whilst looking at Eduardo in absolute agony, decided to let out a smile because he was impressed at shattering the guys leg? Thats one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum for a while.

not at all, i reckon taylor after launching into a bit of a reckless tackle thought "thatll show him im there" without actually realising the extent of what he'd done

happens every week, managers tell players to get stuck in and let the opposition know theyre in it for keeps, unfortunately eduardos foot was on the ground and that happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jank wrote: »
    I think you will not find one Arsenal fan on boards looking for a lifetime ban for that tackle. Also think using this as Wenger bashing is low and classless.

We just have to hope for the best.:(

more than 3 matches would be very unfair, based on the precedents the fa have set in the past few seasons

you cant ban a player for longer just because he actually injured a player if youre not banning players for longer for potentially career threatening tackles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

heres where you can see an actual replay of the tackle, its not that bad a tackle in principle, just clumsy, he would have got the ball but for eduardo flicking it miliseconds before contact, the resulting injury is horrible, but the tackle is not the worst tackle you will ever see in fairness... its graphic by the way

http://www.footytube.com/

its the first video at the time of posting, but you may have to scroll down to find it later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Too early to say lads....as horrible as it looks it might not be as bad as most fear.

In fact, if it is solely a clean break of the fibula and tibia he will most definitely be back by this time next year...it's the potential ligament/tendon/muscle damage that can lead to complications and in rare cases early retirement.

...it seems silly to say but hopefully it wast just a clean leg break.

Where did you hear/read that? Watched it on the Premiership last night after ignorring Darragh Maloney(?)'s warning. Wish I hadn't now. Horrific stuff and hopefully he makes a full recovery. Never nice to see anything like that happen. Regarding malice and intent on Taylor's part, I think any impartial viewer could see that there was none..simply a clumsy challenge with horrible results. Wenger's comments best ignored, if he has retracted them I think he knows how idiotic they were

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

it wasn't even a ****ing smile and at most it should of been a booking.

edit . . . red card without a doubt i'm an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Collie D wrote: »
    Where did you hear/read that?

A few of the Arsenal forums have details (how true they are I don't know). Says only one bone is broken luckily. It's a bad break but not as bad as had been feared. It's apparently the type of break than can be recovered from in 6 months but most likely 9 months to a year.

Wenger's comments best ignored, if he has retracted them I think he knows how idiotic they were

Well fair play to Wenger for admitting he was wrong. He was of course annoyed at the time as the tackle does look bad on first view. He's just lost one of his best players in the middle of a battle for the league so I would expect such an immediate reaction. In fairness to him he came out very soon aftger and corrected himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A few of the Arsenal forums have details (how true they are I don't know). Says only one bone is broken luckily. It's a bad break but not as bad as had been feared. It's apparently the type of break than can be recovered from in 6 months but most likely 9 months to a year.

Well fair play to Wenger for admitting he was wrong. He was of course annoyed at the time as the tackle does look bad on first view. He's just lost one of his best players in the middle of a battle for the league so I would expect such an immediate reaction. In fairness to him he came out very soon aftger and corrected himself.
    Sky sports news are reporting the injury as a double compound fracture :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

jobonar wrote: »

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3189794,00.html

a double compound fracture is likely to be career ending stuff, poor guy

i really think some people are been incredibly soft on Taylor, it was a ****ing rotten challenge. of course it wasn't calculated but sooner rather than later some unfortunate ****er was going to get the brunt of one of these endless amounts of over the ball studs up challenges that the FA and other associations have been reluctant to properly punish (no, not soft 3 match bans). sadly these type of challenges have become part and parcel of the game, they need to be cleared out of the game and it's unacceptable the lack of proper action on them by the associations. The FA can take the easy option and give him a 3 match ban or they can set the precedent of no tolerance to these tackles and give him a 10 match ban. i'm in favour of the latter, it may just deter some of the reckless ****ers on football pitches (just to say i'm not being reactive to this specific incident, i've been calling for this for a long time now)

Where did you hear/read that?

I didn't hear/read it anywhere, just imparting some knowledge I have about leg breaks.

They can look really bad but in top flight football with expert assistance available, very rarely end up ending a players career.

Even with the David Buust horror injury it wasn't the double fracture that ended his career, bones actually healed perfectly. The muscle in his leg ruptured, sort of exploding and they had to cut part of it away. There wasn't enough muscle left to work the tendons etc and That's what stopped him playing again.

jobonar wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3189794,00.html

a double compound fracture is likely to be career ending stuff, poor guy

A compound fracture basically means an open fracture - bone reaching skin/soft tissue. The only real extra problem with a compound fracture is the possibility of infection from the outside world which would lead to complications in healing. But, Eduardo had surgery yesterday and the area would have been cleaned up etc.
    Remember he will be in the best possible hands, so I'd be amazed if this ends his career...think positive, I'm sure we'll all see Eduardo terrorising Premiership defenders before the year is out:)

I'm sure we'll all see Eduardo terrorising Premiership defenders before the year is out

I wish i shared your optimisim.
    Diaby had a similar injury not long ago and it took him about 14 months to recover. Eduardo's looks worse so....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

gucci wrote:
    Just thinking there, a mate of mine plays football in galway and a team mate of his lost a testicle in a match after getting walked on.......obviously another horrific injury, they guy was only 18 or 19 too
    DesF wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Every bloke who's read this has just done crossed his legs very, very quickly.

What the fúck.

That is the worst one yet imo.

That was a lad called Derry O'Brien who was on the Galway senior football team a few years ago. A nasty one for sure.

For me David Buust was the worst one. Came close to losing his leg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The tackle was as robust as they get. But making a scapegoat of Taylor would be wrong. Why? Because he is not the first fella this season to tackle hard but unfortunately he caused a horrific injury to someone.

From next season on the Premier League should make it clear that 10 game bans will be handed down even if the referee acts on the foul i.e a yellow or red card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The tackle was as robust as they get. But making a scapegoat of Taylor would be wrong. Why? Because he is not the first fella this season to tackle hard but unfortunately he caused a horrific injury to someone.

From next season on the Premier League should make it clear that 10 game bans will be handed down even if the referee acts on the foul i.e a yellow or red card
    Indeed - Eduardo himself went in studs up on Nani last weekend, yet that was shrugged off as a 'forwards tackle'.

As I have said elsewhere, it is horrific injury and i wouldn't wish it on anyone, and i truly do hope he makes a full recovery - he is a player i love to watch as he has a great composed and clinical style.

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article= 488036&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Eduardo+-+I+am+determi ned+to+overcome+this

Eduardo - I am determined to overcome this
    By Richard Clarke

Eduardo has given his account of the events at Birmingham City on Saturday.

The Croatian striker, 25 on Monday, has ruled himself out of the rest of the season and Euro 2008 in the summer after breaking his following a challenge from Martin Taylor. However he adds that he is 'determined to overcome this injury'.

“I don't remember the incident very well and it is not something that I want to see again on television or in the newspapers," said the summer signing from Dinamo Zagreb.

"All I remember is that when I fell, I looked down at my foot and it had turned the other way. The rest is just a blank. It was an unfortunate situation but these things can happen in football.

“I am unsure at the moment of the extent of the injury and how long I will be out of action for but I know that I won't be able to play for Arsenal for the rest of the season or be ready in time for the Euros this summer.

"But I'm not worried about that. My concentration and determination is on making as quick a recovery as possible. I am determined to overcome this injury.

“I would like to thank the medical team here at Arsenal for their efforts as well as the staff at Selly Oak hospital who carried out the operation on Saturday night. Everyone there made me feel as comfortable as possible.

"I would also like to say how touched I am by the many messages of support I have received and to be surrounded by my loved ones at this time.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

...think positive, I'm sure we'll all see Eduardo terrorising Premiership defenders before the year is out:)

you know what, i hope you're right, and im a utd fan, that was a sicking challenge and i hope he recovers and the unthinkable doesnt happen!

anyways anyone remember ian selleys horrific leg break back in 95??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I was at that Coventry game when Dave Busst got that horrible injury. Couldn't see how bad it was, but they were throwing buckets of water over the 6-yard box, there must have been blood. I'll never forget how Peter Schmeichal had to leave and run up to the dug-out, it looked as if he was going to be sick.
    I just googled Busst there and I'm pretty sure you can see spray of blood because the force of the bone breaking through the skin was so strong. Schmeichel actually went to counseling for a while after that he was so distraught.

Wenger's reaction is terrible. I completely understand him being angry and would have understood if he said a lengthy ban even though I think he's a hypocritical whinge but to say he should never play football again is stupid.

The injury is horrific. No matter how much you dislike a team or player you'd never wish something like that on anyone. The image someone posted where you can see the bone protruding is mank. The player didn't mean to do that. You'd need to be completely unbalanced to want to inflict that injury and pain on someone. It was an unfortunate accident. Horrible and horrific for both players involved but an accident nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Even with the David Buust horror injury it wasn't the double fracture that ended his career, bones actually healed perfectly. The muscle in his leg ruptured, sort of exploding and they had to cut part of it away. There wasn't enough muscle left to work the tendons etc and That's what stopped him playing again.

According to Busst himself it was the resulting infections that caused him to retire. Theres a piece on the BBC website somewhere where he mentions that the bones healed but the infections that occurred meant he couldnt play on.

Thing with eduardo's injury is that the break is much closer to the ankle. Much more complicated healing process. Hope he gets back to full fitness as he was a great finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

stooge wrote: »
    According to Busst himself it was the resulting infections that caused him to retire. Theres a piece on the BBC website somewhere where he mentions that the bones healed but the infections that occurred meant he couldnt play on.

Thing with eduardo's injury is that the break is much closer to the ankle. Much more complicated healing process. Hope he gets back to full fitness as he was a great finisher.

He is a great finisher.He's not finished yet.

stooge wrote: »

Seems wer're both sort of right. Here's 2 quotes from Buust:

First quote is from the Telegraph in Jan '05.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=518368&in_page_id=1779
    "Basically, the muscle in my leg sort of exploded and they had to cut part of it away in what was operation No 15. That's what stopped me playing again. The break healed beautifully, but by the time they had finished cutting, there wasn't enough muscle left to work the tendons."

Second quote is from todays Daily Mail.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=518368&in_page_id=1779
    'I had a big hole in my leg with the bone breaking through,' he said. 'That's when you get the danger of infection or damaging the surrounding tissue.

'Everyone thinks my career was ended by a leg break but it wasn't that. I had a spiral fracture — the bone broke i n jagged fashion, rather than it being a clean break.

'But it was an MRSA bug which infected my leg and destroyed the muscle tissue beyond repair. In those days people just weren't aware of MRSA."

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Update:
    Eduardo has fractured his left fibula and sustained an open dislocation of his ankle joint in the same leg.

All being well, Eduardo will have his leg in plaster and using crutches for the next six to eight weeks. After that time, partial weight-bearing exercises will be scheduled into a slow rehabilitation process.

It is hoped that Eduardo will be running again in six months time and making a full recovery after nine months.
    Good news considering. Hope to see him back soon.

An aside, the demonisation of Martin Taylor really pisses me off. It is totally unnecessary.

I
    Wenger's reaction is terrible. I completely understand him being angry and would have understood if he said a lengthy ban even though I think he's a hypocritical whinge but to say he should never play football again is stupid.

Jesus!!!! he retracted the statement a few hours later, where have you been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Taylors tackle was bad, horrific even, it was poorly times and poorly judged.

Honestly, I do believe that Taylor went in with a harman tackle to ruffle Eduardo, we all know they happen and some of us have even been recipients at our own levels. I don't for a second think that he knew it would be as bad as it was.

Glad Eduardo will recover, 9 months is still a long time and hopefully nothing unforseen will happen. Spare a thought for Taylor, as culpable as he is, the word is that he's fairly distraught over the incident himself and I remember how Irwin was after Buusts injury (Irwin was the player challenging for the ball with him, although in no way culpable) - he said that he wasn't right mentally for a few games after.

RE: Wenger... fair play for him for retracting his commenst which were waaay OTT. He reacted the same as Fergie would have and I've seen AF make some fairly outlandish comments himself. When all is said and done, he took a look and realised what he said was at the flashpoint which is a hard thing in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Eduardo also does not believe it was intentional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the pics doing the rounds via email today are shocking. it was an awful tackle. just shows how easy it is to break somebody else leg by being late and clumsy. shocking shocking tackle and i hope those pics will make some people think twice before diving in again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

+1. It's not a smile of satisfaction. It's the face of a guy who knows he's made a stupid tackle/decision, that may end a fellow professional's career.......???

Nothing malicious in it imo. People are reading way too much into pictures.

Advertisement