Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k Racing advice

• 19-02-2008 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

I know this is "marathon and triathlon" but it seems to have morphed into a general road racing forum, so anyhoo...

I've run two 10ks, my 1st was 43:xx but I then dropped that to 40:18, which is quite frustrating - only 19 seconds off a sub 40!

I don't train specifically for 10k distance, the two run to date have been "sharpeners" for marathons and I intend to do the Plassey 10K this year in the run up to Roterdam. And I want to trim those 18 seconds off!

Previously I've set out at a fastish pace planning to hold steady but I fade in the middle 3rd before speeding back up at the end. Typically the first couple and last couple of miles are more or less on target pace but I lose 10 - 20 secs per mile in the middle that I can't get back. I eat a carb heavy meal the night before but not a lot the morning of. I usually grab a mouthful of water from a table during the race but that's it.

Any advice from experienced 10k runners? What should I do differently? I don't want to change my training because Rotterdam is the real goal but what can I do on the day that might help?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Unfortunately it sounds like your pacing is wrong.

You've going off at the speed that you *want* to run a 10km at, not the speed that you can run a 10km at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I posted this quite late last night and I've just checked my logs - my PB is actually 41:18 not 40:18 (so I've been deluding myself since last year :o ). Which reinforces your point really.

Anyway, pacing is the thing I always struggle with. That said I think there might be a subtle difference though between setting off at an unrealistic pace you *want* to run at and adopting the wrong strategy altogether.

For example I really want to run a 10k in under 35 mins and I could set off at 5:30s but it would be lunacy and I'd be on my knees after a mile - setting off at the pace I *want* would finish me. That has to be different to starting at a target pace planning even splits and finding that you've lost time you can't gain back (wrong strategy), no?

Having averaged 6:40's before my pacing plan is now to try and run 6:30's from the start and hope that I have enough left in the tank for a fast finish. Does that sound realistic? Or should I set off at 6:25's and try for even splits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

negative split the race.

20:45 5km
    then a
    19:14 5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I wouldn't worry so much about your splits. It's easy to say but seriously, don't!! If you're running along and see that you did mile 2 in 6:18 are you going to slow down? Likewise if it's 6:40, do you speed up?? Go with whatever pace you're able to keep up and not what a watch tells you.

The best way to go about it would be to start off comfortably, a bit slower than your race pace and build up to a hard pace. After 2 miles if you think you can up your pace slightly do so, then again at 3 miles and so on. If you can't go any faster just stay at that pace and try hold on.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

tunney wrote: »
    negative split the race.

20:45 5km
    then a
    19:14 5km

I agree that even or negative splits are the best way to do it, but I think ^^^ is too negative. Would be hard to speed up by a minute and a half I think.

The way I approach it is to set (realistic) target race time, e.g. 39.59. This is 6.24 min mile pace, so you want to average 6.24 per mile. But I would aim to hit 6.30-6.40 for the first mile and then gradually sped up to target pace and then finish slightly faster than target pace. A positive race to run as you will feel great as you pass the runners who have gone off too fast. Also you won't be busting a gut at the end of mile one. In most of my best races, I got successively faster with each mile, but I know a lot of runners who go hard for the first mile to 'put some seconds in the bank' but I personally don't think this really works out.

More important than the pacing on actual race day will be the training in the run up to the race - if you are training appropriately for your target race pace/time you should manage it on the day. So for a 10k a bit of speed work would be handy as you probably know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

I'm a fan of negative splits too, but only if the course and weather conditions favour it. If the second half is uphill or into a strong wind it can be hard to pick up the pace. I normally start off slightly below target pace and establish a decent rhythm and take it from there. When is this race of yours Amadeus?

My main event is the Rotterdam marathon on 13th April. It's a bit akward because i have a choice of teh Adare 10k (which I'll probably do anyway) on the 2nd March or the Plassey 10k. At this stage no date for the Plassey race but it may be to close (or even clash with) the marathon based on last years race.

Thanks for the advice - and RF you're right speed work would help. You get out what you put in and if I want a decent 10k time I need to do the work but Rotterdam is the big goal so I don't want to alter my training for a small goal and miss the big one. That said the schedule includes a few 600 & 800m intervals so that might pay off.

I like the idea of starting off 10 secs or so behind planned pace and trying to run every mile faster. Any other advice? Whats the advice on eating pre race?

Thanks again for all the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

Any other advice? Whats the advice on eating pre race?
    There's no need to carb-load before a 10k. A light snack (banana) 2 hours before a 10k and only water then until after the race (long after the race) works well for me.

My fastest race times have all come with roughly even splits. And I got those PBs after being fortunate to spend some time with good runners (national champions). The bit of advice that stuck with me was 'if you don't feel like giving up by halfway you're not going fast enough' and many other comments along those lines. The only exception is the marathon where halfway should read about 20 miles.

You have to train the mind as much as (more than?) the body. You have to come up with techniques to keep the pace going when your body is screaming STOP. The best way to learn and practice those is on hard sessions - intervals, hills, fartlek in company. As well as building the physical competence it builds mental confidence that you've put the right work in for your target pace.

Mental toughness can be developed. It's a sure way of getting better times than 'equal' training partners that aren't able to face as much pain in a race.

I get funny looks when I tell people that (at least) half of a marathon is run in your head. Never really applied that to a 10k before, because the distance is shorter I didn't really think of the pain barrier or mental toughness being a factor. But it would explain why I lose time in the middle 3rd - I'm switching off instead of pushing on.

Thanks again, all help valued!

Thought I would post a follow up, since it can be frustrating to give advice and not know what happened!

I followed the advice above as best I could, longish (16.5 mile) run on Friday, rest on Sat and restricted myself to a banana pre race.

The obvious aim was to run as fast as I could without tiring so much I slowed down in the last third so I set off at a fast (for me) but sustainable pace. Rather than running too much by the watch or HRM I ran by feel. Checking afterwards I ran the first three miles in 6:35 / 6:44 / 6:46. Feeling comfortable I carried on through mile 4 in 6:49 and picked it up in the last third to finish with a 6:30 and a 6:27. According to my GPS my pace over the last 0.2 was 5:49 so I managed teh traditional "death or glory" charge for the line! It was also a -ive split, which is good. Overall time was 41:14 by my watch (line to line) which beats my PB by 4 seconds (not really enough to count but a PB is a PB!)

Looking back I think I may have been too conservative, particularly in the mid third. Rather than feeling like I "wanted to give up" at the half way mark I was fine, strong legs, easy breathing and no stitch. In fact looking at the HRM data I was between 5 and 15 BPM down on HR compared to my last 10k (41:18) so I could def have run harder.

Anyway thanks again for all the valued advice - it was much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Sounds like you might have to do it all over and experiment with the middle third again! Your hooked now ain't ya? :)

lol - I don't know about hooked...!

I suppose that is the advantage of a 10k over the marathon, you can go out a week or two later and try again. Main focus stays on the longer stuff though...

Advertisement