Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missed th closing date for applications.

Options
  • 19-02-2008 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

i was to apply as a mature student this year but ive missed the closing date for applications :(

i didnt know it was the 1st of february!

so i was told i need to apply through the c.a.o which is also closed until 3rd of march.

but im about 80 points short of the course id like to do :(

am i ruined?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If you're a mature student then your points don't matter. Start making some phone calls, I'm sure you will get sometime sorted out. Don't stress about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

no your not ruinen, cao points dont matter for a mature student.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill look into the issue for you and see what I can find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

thanks lads. all the info i got from the college is that since i missed the 1st of feb, i cant apply as a mature student anymore. and that i have to go through the cao.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hi Royal,
    I spoke with Shane Kelly for you, the President of Students Union. If your applying via the CAO, the best thing to do is contact the WIT CHART (Centre for Helping, Access, Retention & Teaching) office (051 302758) and then speak to the CAO for the best advise.

However, from what I understand the procedure isn't based on points. You will apply via the Mature Student method via the CAO. The college will not look at your application and see what points you got - a lot of mature students did poor in the Leaving Cert or did no leaving cert at all. Instead, what happens is you will be called into an interview and the college will decide on your application that way.

Don't worry about the amount of people applying to the course, as the college sets a certain percentage for mature students per course.

Just contact CHART as they will be the best to advise you in this situation, and then speak to the CAO.

Any more questions, just shout.

Hope that helps. :)

• Advertisement

you just brought me out of depression! sully cant thank you enough. ill ring them first thing in the morning.

Not a problem. If I can be of any further assistance, you know where I am. Let us know how you get on :)

right so i rang wit chart centre, and they gave me a diff number to ring. not sure of the name of the centre i spoke to but he was very helpful.

basically, wit dont accept late applications for mature students and its past the time to apply through the cao as a mature student.

my only option now is to apply through the cao as a late applicatant and use my leaving cert points.

but..... ive re-calculated my points and ive got 310. wit's course requires 320. hopefully ill get it if they lower the points for the second round. but that all depends on the number of interested people.

i was also told my the fella on the phone that they run a similiar course in letterkenny in donegal.
    now last thing i want is to go there! but i guess it might happen if i dont get waterford.

anyway thanks for the info sully.

last thing, if i dont get waterford, and i end up in donegal ( the points are only 140 for donegal ), after i finish my first year, can i transfer to w.i.t?

Now that is strange.. I was told that points dont actually matter, but I assume that was via a different CAO method? How did you manage to miss two dates, out of curioisty?

As for transfers, you have to ask both colleges.

ill ring w.i.t in the morning to ask about the transfer and same with leterkenny.

i missed the closing date as i work 72 hours a week and i was abroad for most of it :(

• Advertisement

I spoke with the union again today, they were supprised it was based on points as they thought it was interview based. Regardless, they said put WIT down as your FIRST choice - as you may get the course in first, second, third etc. offer. Likewise, the points may drop.

Also, if you transfer - it depends how similar the courses are, and if allowed - you may be put pack in first year in WIT.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement