Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking just outside the warranty

Options
  • 19-02-2008 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

My boiler went kaput about a week ago, one month outside the 2-year warranty :(. The fault was to do with a circuit board, and according to the heating engineer it's not a wear and tear issue, more of a thing that just 'goes' sometimes.

Now that I'm 350 euro lighter I'm wondering if it's worth contacting the manufacturer to complain? Is the 'fit for purpose' argument a valid one or am I up the creek without a paddle once the warranty is out?

Apparently the new circuit board is guaranteed for only 12 months, so potentially (absolute worst case) I could have this scenario every year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055237556

might be of help. I have yet to do anything but plan on following the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

ellscurr wrote: »
    My boiler went kaput about a week ago, one month outside the 2-year warranty :(. The fault was to do with a circuit board, and according to the heating engineer it's not a wear and tear issue, more of a thing that just 'goes' sometimes.

Now that I'm 350 euro lighter I'm wondering if it's worth contacting the manufacturer to complain? Is the 'fit for purpose' argument a valid one or am I up the creek without a paddle once the warranty is out?

Apparently the new circuit board is guaranteed for only 12 months, so potentially (absolute worst case) I could have this scenario every year.

circuit boards are the biggest rip off ever and the biggest income earner for heating companys and engineers -there was an expose done on them in england ,watchdog or one of them undercover programmes -
    you can buy a board for about 60 to 80 euros depends,and these engineers just happen to carry a good few spares -basically its rarely the circuit board gone its a minor prob but they extract serious money out of you -you are at there mercy
    if any one is told they need a new board insist on keeping the old one as engineers just swap one to the other and keep churning money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

The Consumer Advice fella on Newstalk repeatedly emphasises that warranties are in addition to your consumer rights, and do not limit your rights in any way. He said that for large household items like washing machines, you have a reasonable expectation of them lasting for a number of years.

I guess this would apply to boilers too, provided that you've kept up with recommended servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Jasus - reminds me of my issues with my boiler, a Vokera Mynute. Board went JUST INSIDE the 12 month warranty on the replacement board! Cost me €160 in the first instance to get it replaced...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

I bought a car from a garage and it came with a 3 month warranty.

3 months + 2 days, cylinder head gasket blows and engine siezed.

The garage were merciful and fixed it up at their own cost.

Have the boiler manufacturer outrightly refused to repair it for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

knighted wrote: »
    circuit boards are the biggest rip off ever and the biggest income earner for heating companys and engineers -there was an expose done on them in england ,watchdog or one of them undercover programmes -
    you can buy a board for about 60 to 80 euros depends,and these engineers just happen to carry a good few spares -basically its rarely the circuit board gone its a minor prob but they extract serious money out of you -you are at there mercy
    if any one is told they need a new board insist on keeping the old one as engineers just swap one to the other and keep churning money

that's quite a generalisation. Where did you get those prices for the circuit boards? I believe that watchdog programme was about the potterton suprima circuit board in the UK. Apparently, it is a very common part to go. If you can get a suprima pcb for 60 to 80 euro... good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

that's quite a generalisation. Where did you get those prices for the circuit boards? I believe that watchdog programme was about the potterton suprima circuit board in the UK. Apparently, it is a very common part to go. If you can get a suprima pcb for 60 to 80 euro... good luck to you.

good luck to me indeed , the actual price is 99 euros ,but you can buy a refurb with a 1 year gaurantee for 33 euros ,if you want the address let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

good luck to me indeed , the actual price is 99 euros ,but you can buy a refurb with a 1 year gaurantee for 33 euros ,if you want the address let me know

You must be having a laugh. We are talking about the potterton suprima PCB? There are plenty of circuit boards that are a good bit cheaper, but if you can buy a potterton suprima circuit board in Ireland for 99 euro, fareplay.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

@op: if it's a Potterton give them a call.

My boiler is 10 years old and the PCB was replaced twice (at my expense). It went again last year and by that stage Potterton had publicly accepted that there was a problem with PCBs so it was fixed for free (and another fault was fixed as well).

The BBC Watchdog site had a complaints letter specifically drafted for Potterton probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

parsi do you have the contact number for Potterton in ireland?

I have the same problem. The plumber ive just had out said its €250 for a recondtioned board or €450 for a new board. Ive seen boards on ebay for £55

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POTTERTON-SUPRIMA-PCB-1-YEAR-GUARANTEE-CURE-LOCKOUT_W0QQitemZ190199369623QQihZ009QQcategoryZ42234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Im not shure whats best to do. any advice appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

When they called me the number was 01 4590870

However I had written to their UK HQ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Thanks, parsi, I rang them, and pointed out watchdogs website

"If your boiler has broken down due to circuit board failure and would like Potterton to pay,"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/homes/homes_20070206.shtml

the reception seemed to acknowledge there’s a fault and they’re going to contact me back with what to do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 caitR

curious as to the outcome here popey21?
    I've got a similar problem with my potterton boiler (it's been flakey since last spring, but somehow the odd reset here and there kept it going - till now).
    anyways, could be great to hear how you got on..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Circuit boards are not subject to wear and tear since there are no mechanical parts. It is a different story if it is a button or something that goes on the board. The argument that they "just go" sometimes is rubbish too since that would imply that there is some luck involved in the quality of the item.

The product should last as long as it is reasonably expected to last given the price paid (and other such factors) as long as the boiler has be used in normal conditions without abuse or misuse.

I would definitely expect a boiler to last more than 3 years. If problems arise with the item you should always report it straight away since technically the Sale of Goods and Supply of Service Act 1980 stipulates that faults should be reported without delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 matiz

Hi gang

My 6-year old boiler went on the blink yesterday and I went surfing last night to see what the problem could be. I was absolutely stunned at the amount of complaints about Potterton pcb's.

Popeye, did you get anywhere with Potterton?
    The complaints letter template has been taken off the BBC Watchdog site. I don't think they have an archive.

Does anyone have the wording saved anywhere?

Cheers in advance....
    Matiz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Yeah I contacted them about my dickey Potterton Suprima

Turns out mine is not in the batch they know there's a problem with (its slightly earlier - 1998), & so will challenge it all the way, even though symptoms are identical.

Yuo have also to be able to prove it was regularly serviced - something I couldn't do

Either way, left me with just one conclusion. Put simply,

NEVER, EVER, EVER, BUY A POTTERTON BOILER AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 25 matiz

Flip....I can't prove I've had the boiler serviced. :mad:

My plumber gave me the number of a guy who said he'll replace the circuit board for €350. Ouch.... :eek:

The boiler seems to be working sporadically, so I'll wait till it dies completely before I get it replaced!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

What a load of crap ,you obviously don't know what your talking about.
    Theres a PCB available at the moment for the Potterton Suprima ,that costs over 300 to buy.

Do yourself a favour and stick to what you know.

banchang wrote: »
    Yeah I contacted them about my dickey Potterton Suprima

Turns out mine is not in the batch they know there's a problem with (its slightly earlier - 1998), & so will challenge it all the way, even though symptoms are identical.

Yuo have also to be able to prove it was regularly serviced - something I couldn't do

Either way, left me with just one conclusion. Put simply,

NEVER, EVER, EVER, BUY A POTTERTON BOILER AGAIN

Potterton have been taken over by Baxi.
    Baxi completely redisigned the board and it now comes with a complete wiring loom. It basically makes the suprima a new boiler.
    Their original board was a nightmare ,up to the suprima ,potterton were one of the best manufacturers around.
    I just took out two potterton boilers last week ,that were over twenty years old and never gave a days trouble.

Thats why so many people got suprima's installed ,because of the name the company had for years.

The newly designed board for the suprima is bullet proof ,it comes in an enclosure so you can't charge it with static.

axer wrote: »
    Circuit boards are not subject to wear and tear since there are no mechanical parts. It is a different story if it is a button or something that goes on the board. The argument that they "just go" sometimes is rubbish too since that would imply that there is some luck involved in the quality of the item.

The product should last as long as it is reasonably expected to last given the price paid (and other such factors) as long as the boiler has be used in normal conditions without abuse or misuse.

I would definitely expect a boiler to last more than 3 years. If problems arise with the item you should always report it straight away since technically the Sale of Goods and Supply of Service Act 1980 stipulates that faults should be reported without delay.

You tend to forget the amount of people who have gas boilers though. Your talking millions of people.

How many tv's break down after three years ? ,your talking about the same process for tv guts as you are for boiler pcb's.

Not everyones boards go after a couple of years ,but when problems happen thats were people will get together and complain.
    Honestly ,it's not all doom and gloom out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement