Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

XS Direct Insurance

Options
  • 19-02-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Have you heard of it? Is anyone using it? Good or bad? Do not have many choices but I would like to get some feedback about this insurance company…

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What would you like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think I heard other insurers dont recgonise this company for no claims bonuses when you change to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They don't use a ncb system afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

http://www.xsdirect.ie/faq.html#News48

According to this they do issue an NCB and it is accepted by other companies.

I'm with them because they were less then half the price of any other insurance companies, most of whom wouldn't touch me with a barge pole (25, rx8).

They're a great insurance company

as long as you don't crash

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Have anyone had problems with them? I am having problem find any other insurance that will cover me…new driver from Canada and I do not have Full Irish insurance and it is a sporty car…any other options?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

TheOneToBe wrote: »
    Have anyone had problems with them? I am having problem find any other insurance that will cover me…new driver from Canada and I do not have Full Irish insurance and it is a sporty car…any other options?

Yeh, RX-8 is sporty.

Your best bet would be quinn-direct i'd say

www.quinn-direct.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

what licence do you have? i assume you have no no claims bonus in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

They look bloody expensive to me about 150euro dearer than most other quotes i got
    SHOP AROUND!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

Hi,
    Maybe of help, I have an RX8 and i'm currently insured with Allianz Direct. They had no issue in providing me insurance even when I was on a prov licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,863 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just ran a quick quote on the car I'm changing to - more than TWICE what Quinn wanted! I suspect a 2.0 litre MG doesn't count as sporty enough to need it..

• Advertisement

I am 32, buying Type R, I have Canadian license for 14 years and provisional Irish. Quinn would not touch it since it is 2.0, many other insurance companies will not even talk to me since it is 2.0 L…but I am bit surprised since I know that there is a lot of GTI and other 2.0+ litter engines and people get insurance…considering my age…I should not have problems but I do…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It depends on your car, for a lot of people it wouldn't make sense to use them, so always shop around.
    I was with them for a while and switched to Hibernian, they recognised the NCB (part of that was XS, part of it with another insurance co). XS don't "recognise" NCB in that they don't give discounts for it, but they do issue NCB certs.

TheOneToBe, have you spoken to any brokers? I've heard from people I know who had difficulty getting quoted, but got quotes no bother through brokers. Always worth a shot.

Hi,
    Maybe of help, I have an RX8 and i'm currently insured with Allianz Direct. They had no issue in providing me insurance even when I was on a prov licence.

that's fair enough, but how much was the quote (and how old are you?)

at 25 I needed 3 years NCB before any company I tried would quote and even then the quote was over 2k

I am 32, buying Type R, I have Canadian license for 14 years and provisional Irish. Quinn would not touch it since it is 2.0, many other insurance companies will not even talk to me since it is 2.0 L…but I am bit surprised since I know that there is a lot of GTI and other 2.0+ litter engines and people get insurance…considering my age…I should not have problems but I do…

You've got a provisional licence - you should be having these problems. They can't take the Canadian licence or experience in to account as we have no licence swap deal with Canada. So, effectively to an insurer, you're 32 with a provisional and no experience expecting insurance on a high power car.

Can you not get an Irish test? Contact the RSA and say you're willing to take a cancellation date, anywhere (after applying normally and getting the conf letter/reference code); you could have the test within 2-3 weeks. If you've 14 years experience you *should* be able to pass it, its horrifically simple.

definatly do the test. your insurance cost will be slashed!

definatly do the test. your insurance cost will be slashed!

And all of a sudden Quinn will love you for asking for insurance on a 2 litre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

MYOB wrote: »
    And all of a sudden Quinn will love you for asking for insurance on a 2 litre :D

not necessarily, I've a full licence for 4 years and they still wont even quote me on a 1.8T

sonners wrote: »
    not necessarily, I've a full licence for 4 years and they still wont even quote me on a 1.8T

What car? The 2.0 they've quoted me on is an MG ZR which is small and very, very cheap due to MG having gone titsup... and I'm 21 with a full licence for less time than that.

(oh, and its a turbo diesel not a petrol...)

Yes I have used brokers and quotes I got are very good. My only concern is that I have never heard of this company, and god forbids something happens are they going to pay up and etc… I will get full license soon and I do understand that I am having hard time…I just want to feel secured that this company will honor their part of the deal! Next year when I have full Irish license then it could be another story :)

Have you read the T&C's for XS Direct? Basically the only "catch" as such is the huge excess. I haven't heard anything, one way or the other about claiming with them, so I'd take that as good news. Look at Quinn on the other hand.

• Advertisement

if you go with xs ,basically youre saying ' i just want to insured and if i write the car off i wont be claiming because i'll have to pay the first 4k excess'

for the record they quoted me 3300 with a 4k excess on the m3??? i went to britton insurance and got it for 1600 fully comp....scam artists those xs boys. taking advantage of people who find it hard to get insured but arent necessarily high risk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

So go somewhere else? :confused:

Why do so many people feel loyal to insurance companies!

AXA sent me a leaflet a few years ago (had to input address on their site for a quote in the past) offering to insure me on my current car for a "very competitive price". I was 23 I think, I owned a new MKV GTI. They said I needed to be 30, end of phone call more a less. I told them if they ever sent me another piece of advertising I would go to town on them.

It was their loss - not mine! I just shopped around, brokers, direct, you name it.

I will never, ever, give AXA a cent and if Quinn treat you the same I think you should do the same. Talk with your feet!

Excess is not a problem; at least through the broker…I can get 1000 euro excess which is fine with me. Question is if anyone had a claim with this company and if anyone had any problems? Quinn does not even want to hear about 2.0 L engine….when we got to car, they rejected me…. They do recognize experience from Canada and no claims bonus, but they do not insure 2.0 L engine cars or Type R’s….

MarkN wrote: »
    So go somewhere else? :confused:

Why do so many people feel loyal to insurance companies!

AXA sent me a leaflet a few years ago (had to input address on their site for a quote in the past) offering to insure me on my current car for a "very competitive price". I was 23 I think, I owned a new MKV GTI. They said I needed to be 30, end of phone call more a less. I told them if they ever sent me another piece of advertising I would go to town on them.

It was their loss - not mine! I just shopped around, brokers, direct, you name it.

I will never, ever, give AXA a cent and if Quinn treat you the same I think you should do the same. Talk with your feet!

Problems looks like there is nowhere else…If you want to have a sporty car then 50% of companies will not even want to talk to you…then if you have less then 3-5 years Irish Full license then probably another 50 % is gone. And then if you have only provisional or intl. license, then you are done for another 50 %...so at the end you are left with one or two companies…no mater of your age or your actual driving experience….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Just keep trying, going with XS for a year would probably not be the worst thing if it got you out of a mess.

Just the thought of handing over that amount of money in the event of a claim :eek:

Have you tried Britton Insurance? ARB/St. Pauls' through a broker etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

try here -> http://www.ryanaircarinsurance.com/

No, I will call Britton and ARB tomorrow. I will also try ryan insurance. Thank you all for your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

MYOB: its a Audi TT, my last car was a 2.0 celica and they never quoted that either.

MarkN: Where did I say I had any loyalty to Quinn or that I was actually insured with them?? I was just trying to highlight the fact that they wont insure everyone as some people seem to think. They, like many insurance companies, dont like higher powered cars regardless of who's driving them.

TheOneToBe: Definitely try ARB, they always quoted me when I had the Celica and most other insurance companies laughed at me! The quotes were high and I think they may also have a high excess (would have to double check this) but no harm in calling them anyway.

MYOB: its a Audi TT, my last car was a 2.0 celica and they never quoted that either.

Ah yes, significantly more valuable car... although the biggest potential cost is the damage you can do to someone else and a ZR doesn't do much less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Excess is not a problem; at least through the broker…I can get 1000 euro excess which is fine with me. Question is if anyone had a claim with this company and if anyone had any problems? Quinn does not even want to hear about 2.0 L engine….when we got to car, they rejected me…. They do recognize experience from Canada and no claims bonus, but they do not insure 2.0 L engine cars or Type R’s….

Im with XS for a ITR DC5... and no ive not had to make a claim.. and not only for the fact that theres a €4k excess!

Forget Quinns, your wasting your time with them.. i had to cancel the policy on my Civic 3 months into the 2nd year with them...

Advertisement