Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiler needed - Please help.. Dublin 7

Options
  • 19-02-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a tiler for a bathroom in my house in Dublin 7. I had employed a builder that was supposed to completely renovate the bathroom for me. He started yesterday and when i got home last night he had damaged 2 NEW kitchen chairs by using them instead of a ladder. None of the walls were square (he is fixing that today) and he had told me that he insulated the ceiling but when i looked closer he only stuffed aeroboard into some of the joists. I told him to just fix the walls, make them square and finish up the plastering today and Ill pay him for the work he has done so far....

Now I need a tiler as I have NO bathroom. Has to stay at a relations house last night:(

Can anyone recommend a good tiler that is not too dear that could start Thursday or something? The bathroom is 6.5 ft (L) X 6 ft (W) X 8 ft (H)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 angela l

Teflon,
    I know a tiler called John. His number is 087 2801319. He is a friend of mine, but he has also done some work for me and I was very happy with the job, and the price was fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

angela l wrote: »
    Teflon,
    I know a tiler called John. His number is 087 2801319. He is a friend of mine, but he has also done some work for me and I was very happy with the job, and the price was fair.

Careful! you could get edited by the mods for that. but then again they may not.... it all depends on their mood it seems

Teflon. Best thing is to ask for names & numbers to be PM'd.

signed,
    disgruntled poster..

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

Update .

Just to let youse know that I found a tiler. SOS Tiling in Blanchardstown. Seem to be doing a good job so far I must say. My problem now is that the plumber is messing me about. Ive paid him half what he is owed and he wont do things the way I want. He just does it the way he wants. I will be putting a freestanding bath in when th etiling is done and i told him this and showed him teh bath but he thinks he can just run qualpex everywhere and leave it in plain sight.
    Tiler said he can box it in and give access but plumber will not come back now and move pipes. Anyone know a GOOD plumber that will do this for me and maybe finish off the job? All I need them to do now is connect the bath, sink toilet and Rad back up....
    Trouble is that id need them today or tomorrow as tiler is on site.... PLEASE:confused:

anyone have a ballpark for how much a plumber should charge to plumb back in a bath,sink, toilet and Rad into a small bathroom when the fixtures are there?

Would you get it done for about €300?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Second fixing costs depend on how well the first fixing was done.
    I can't see you getting a plumber for €300 ,to second fix a bathroom with someone elses work.

Best bet is to get a price and give a sob story about the previous plumber having some troubles.

• Advertisement

Well it has been a disaster from start to finish. Between dodgy builder, the company we ordered the bathroom stuff off going bust with my money, cowboy plumber etc etc...
    I cant take much more TBH...Ive no money left, my wife is sick and we have no use of our downstairs and no bathroom. we are bumming showers off our family that live close by.

€300 would be all I have left so I dont know what to do!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Hang in there Teflon, sounds like a disaster but it will work out and in while it will be a distant memory. Its only a bathroom after all. Never let the feckers get you down, life is too short.

Easier said than done mate. We have no bathroom at the moment and are just about out of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

sorry to hear your troubles... thats why i choose to do pretty much everything myself.. not cause i want to be cheap, but cause i won't be let down by people... or spend half my life waiting in for people... also i learn a skill or two along the way...

Would you not give the plumbing a go?? I prefer to use solder / compression fittings, but lots of people swear by the push fit stuff now... Also if your in dublin 7 your close to PH-rosses, they guys down there are quite helpful if you get them when things are quiet...

I have used them in the past. Its just with water i'd be terrified that something would go wrong. I normally do all the stuff to be done in our house myself. tiling , flooring electrics etc but there is something about plumbing im just afraid of. Water could be slowly leaking out and i wouldnt be aware of it or have checked it right. It needs to be a good connection because im boxing in the pipework and tiling over it..I thought there may be someone on here that would be like...

heres a good guy having a bit of trouble. I think i'll help him out and do afew hours and get afew quid and not take the pi$$.. If you saw the job to be done, its really not that much left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

teflon wrote: »
    I have used them in the past. Its just with water i'd be terrified that something would go wrong. I normally do all the stuff to be done in our house myself. tiling , flooring electrics etc but there is something about plumbing im just afraid of. Water could be slowly leaking out and i wouldnt be aware of it or have checked it right. It needs to be a good connection because im boxing in the pipework and tiling over it..I thought there may be someone on here that would be like...

heres a good guy having a bit of trouble. I think i'll help him out and do afew hours and get afew quid and not take the pi$$.. If you saw the job to be done, its really not that much left.

To be honest from what i've seen some plumbers don't even check joints correctly, they are in such a rush go get in and get out again... what's the harm in plumbing it all together, then monitor the joints for a week to make sure nothing is leaking from them... Also as its a bathroom, there is very little pressure on the water...

Why not make up a removable panel that clips over the pipes and then getting the tiler to tile that?? or tile it yourself? you could use anything to keep this panel in place, eg some magnetic door catches, roller catches?? I hate tiling anything in permanently, what happens if you need to change a tap in 12 months time??

Hang in there another few days and someone will save the day ,I'm off sick at the moment from work and I've litterally got a couple of months work to get through.

I know for a fact ,there are a lot of plumbers not very busy at the moment . Why not ring Ross'es ,I don't have a number for them ,but I'm sure they would know plumbers locally.

OK. here is the update.
    Sacked the plumber I had (so thats the builder AND plumber sacked now:( )
    Turned out that my Dad knew someone at home (mullingar) and I called him and he came up on Sat morning to put things right and will be back on Wednesday to finish off and put things back into bathroom. Nice guy.

The Tilers are doing GREAT work. Really looks the business now. My slight concern is that it seems to be taking the tiles AGES to stick. They all seem fine and when you push on them and drag them they stick. BUT...when you pull twords you they fall off the wall.. Tilers used the Evo-stik blue lid non slip adhesive..
    Anyone know if this is the norm? They were put onto freshly plastered walls... Tiler thought that adhesive might be out of date but there is a date printed on each of the 4 tubs I got and its a date in Jan 08 on them all so I presume that is the manufacture date...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TheKingdom

Teflon,
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I was wondering if you have come accross the best place in Dublin to get a standard nothing fancy bath.

I'm going to post later in week some hard learnings I had myself in the carpet buying world. Still have to solv ethe issue with the shop so I want to give them an opportunity to do the right thing.

I would go to PH Ross just off the Cabra Road in Dublin 7. Are you Dublin based? I did order afew things from www.taps4less.com and they didnt charge me for postage at all and were sound.
    I told them about the problems I had with the other UK company and they said that alot of people in the industry were aware that the company were doing badly. I did manage to get my money back from my credit card company for the stuff they didnt send so that wasnt too bad. I also got the delivery cost back for the stuff that they did send.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TheKingdom

Thanks, very much I had a look on the taps4less, it looks good, and will check out PH Ross in D7 on Tue. Glad to hear the credit card protection worked. best of luck in finishing the job.

danny20x wrote: »
    If you are interested in a free quote for tiling, I have over 5 years professional experience

You have to pay for advertising on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alan74

Can anyone recommend a tiler for a bathroom in my house in Dublin 7. I had employed a builder that was supposed to completely renovate the bathroom for me. He started yesterday and when i got home last night he had damaged 2 NEW kitchen chairs by using them instead of a ladder. None of the walls were square (he is fixing that today) and he had told me that he insulated the ceiling but when i looked closer he only stuffed aeroboard into some of the joists. I told him to just fix the walls, make them square and finish up the plastering today and Ill pay him for the work he has done so far....

Now I need a tiler as I have NO bathroom. Has to stay at a relations house last night:(

Can anyone recommend a good tiler that is not too dear that could start Thursday or something? The bathroom is 6.5 ft (L) X 6 ft (W) X 8 ft (H)
    hi there.
    I just wondered if you have found ne 1 to do your bathroom yet as i have 17 years in business and would be interested in giving you a quote.
    Yours thankfully alan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

OK. here is the update.
    Sacked the plumber I had (so thats the builder AND plumber sacked now:( )
    Turned out that my Dad knew someone at home (mullingar) and I called him and he came up on Sat morning to put things right and will be back on Wednesday to finish off and put things back into bathroom. Nice guy.

The Tilers are doing GREAT work. Really looks the business now. My slight concern is that it seems to be taking the tiles AGES to stick. They all seem fine and when you push on them and drag them they stick. BUT...when you pull twords you they fall off the wall.. Tilers used the Evo-stik blue lid non slip adhesive..
    Anyone know if this is the norm? They were put onto freshly plastered walls... Tiler thought that adhesive might be out of date but there is a date printed on each of the 4 tubs I got and its a date in Jan 08 on them all so I presume that is the manufacture date...?

did he specify this adhesive or did you have this already? any decent tiler will request bags of adhesive to mix himself. buckets are generally the cowboys adhesive of choice. It should take 24hours to set, maybe sooner if its warm, also depends on the spacing. then grouting takes a few hours to set, the adhesive must be set first though otherwise the grout will not set correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

no offence lads but if he was still waitin on a plumber the wifey would have f**ked him out by now:D:D
    Check the date on the op

• Advertisement
Advertisement