Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joemeek Mics, etc.

Options
  • 19-02-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

anyone got any experience with Joemeek mics?

I need a condensor mic to record classical male vocals and don't have a lot to spend. So it's the 150 to 200 euro market I'm in.

I was thinking of this http://www.thomann.de/ie/joemeek_jm47.htm but can't find many reviews on it. 1 person who records uses them and finds them good, but with a female singing.

I'll be the one singing and I'm a high baritone, so it's bass and high tones I want to ensure I capture in recording.

I've read some good and bad things about a studio projects C1, so I'm not sure.

Your advice would be appreciated. I know mic opinions are very subjective, but I'll take your opinions as that to help me make my own mind up.

Thanks,
    AlanD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

What's the rest of your set up? Would second hand be ok with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

The rest of my set up is pretty simple. I use a Presonus Firebox, a Macbook with 4 gigs of RAM and keyboard and just need a mic for myself.

I'd be ok with secondhand if the secondhand mic was in perfect nick. I realise that condensor mics are sensitive, so wouldn't want to buy anyone's broken dud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The JM47 is made by a company called Felio-China, who's lineage goes back to company 797 who made microphones for the domestic market trained by east german engineers (years and years ago!).

There's about 12 companies in Shanghai, these make microphones for T-Bone, Red audio, ADK, Nady and all the usual suspects. The JM looks very like an SE microphone the SE1100, the both look to have components made by the same OEM, though I suspect the SE is made in a different factory.

There's much of a muchness in all these microphones though the manufacturing quality from factory to factory differs. They are often built with components whose quality and rating varies from item to item. You might get a good one or you might get a dog. The attention to detail on most of thes microphones is pretty bad if you ask me.

If it is similar to the SE I wouldn't use it for vocals though, too brittle sounding. For a Tenor of Bari my first choice would be for a U-89, especially if the singer was a bit nasal sounding.

Basically for that kind of money you are not gonna get the quality you need for the dynamic range that a classical performer is going to have. Even 414's and U-87's can get a little hairy sounding when the singer is going "Full-Belto". If it's just for the one gig, I'd book a studio with some decent microphones for the afternoon and get on with it. Studio time has never been so cheap either!

Shanghai Microphones

Felio

thanks for the advice.....

yeah I realise I'm not going to get the quality from a 200 euro mic, but that's my limit for now and since I'm not looking to release anything, I reckon it'll do.

Unless someone wants to sell me a second hand U87 for 150 euro?

right, so given my set in stone limitations, would my money be better spent with a joemeek chinadensor as you called it or a studio projects C1?

Dunno either, can't you borrow any? It's hard to tell which will suit your voice without hearing it. I've had some good results with a CAD Equitek E300, outstanding actually, the older ones. You could try the 'bay for one.

Actually, don't buy the JM-47. It's a bit cheeky having the 47 designation in it considering they are marketing the FET design of the amp. (Neumann U-47 and all that.) Matter of principle there!
    How about an Octava? It doesn't have to be large diaghpram either...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I have a meekrophone (JM47) -it's a nice mic, but has some character. Doesn't work on my voice, works great on others and sounds good on acoustic guitar. I pair it up with the Joe Meek VC3 preamp with it's quirky opto-compressor for retro goodness.

I know at the end of the day, there is no one mic that is just good without spending 2500 on a Neumann.

Is my best bet to buy something with a well known name like Rode or AKG or take my chances with a the Joemeek or studio projects. I know the professional's viewpoint will be to not waste money on the cheap stuff.

I'm no professional.

studiorat wrote: »
    I've had some good results with a CAD Equitek E300, outstanding actually, the older ones. You could try the 'bay for one.

Is this what you are talking about? http://www.cadmics.com/e300.htm

eBay has some alright for good money.

Ok, I just bought a CAD E300. Got it for a good price so happy enough. Hope it does the trick now!

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The Shure SM7b is a mic that while cheap is rated very, very highly by pros for male vocals. It has been used on main lead vocals on albums that have sold multi-millions where there was plenty of budget to use what ever was wanted. I have used them but it was so long ago I barely remember and I don't think I ever used it on vocals. Could be worth trying out and see how you like it? If you by a Joe Meek or any of its ilk you will want to get rid of it at some point. The SM7 is a mic you could still be using no matter how far up the chain the rest of your gear moves over the years.

• Advertisement

AlanD wrote: »
    Ok, I just bought a CAD E300. Got it for a good price so happy enough. Hope it does the trick now!

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, I meant the older version of the e300, the body looks a little different but CAD seem to make pretty good microphones. Mind you I like CAD, they go way back to the 50's as a company called Astatic. I know this by the way 'cause I have a CAD mixing console and it sounds great, and obviously did a whole lot of research before hand.

Actually, I meant the older version of the e300,

ah yeah I realise that, but you threw me in the right direction, the reviews were all good for the E300, so I said I'd take the chance. Should arrive in a few days. It'll be a huge step forward from what I have.

ah yeah I realise that, but you threw me in the right direction, the reviews were all good for the E300, so I said I'd take the chance. Should arrive in a few days. It'll be a huge step forward from what I have.

Good man. Lemme know how you get on.

I suppose it'll be a new preamp next!!!

Take it easy.

my CAD e300 arrived early this week from the US. What a mic it is, I've only just done a little bit of recording with it so far but it's so far ahead of the dynamics I've been using to date.

It came in a huge plastic box with lots of foam around it, so it's well protected. The mic itself is huge! I didn't expect it to be that big really.

So I'm just playing around with the positioning of it now and am loving the results so far. I know a preamp would make it a lot better, but for now I'll stick with my presonus firebox with phantom power.

Oh do I need a pop filter?

I didn't expect it to be that big really.

huh-huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Oh do I need a pop filter?

Yup - it will get rid of the plosives and keep the spit out of your capsule. Make one yourself with wire coathanger and a pair of tights for now.

thanks....I'll pick up a cheap one somewhere. Although looking on thomann they have pop filters for over 100 euro. I'm sure there's a reason for it!

But thinking about the technicalities of a pop filter, can some of them muffle the sound or are they all pretty much the same with little or no impact on the sound?

thanks....I'll pick up a cheap one somewhere. Although looking on thomann they have pop filters for over 100 euro. I'm sure there's a reason for it!

There is, the mic you bought off them was cheap, may as well stick tho boot in somewhere else!

A pair of stockings and a coat hanger will be acoustically transparent. I like silk. Never bought a pop shield, never will. Pop shields need to be replaced every so often cause they get covered in spit and snot!:eek:

The plastic handle off a old paint can wrapped in a circle is perfect for putting a stocking on. Hold it up with another stand and a sprung mic clip.

may as well stick tho boot in somewhere else!

I'm not sure what you mean. :confused:

I didn't buy a mic off thomann

I know that. I should have said when "one" buys a mic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement