Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland to be in Euro 2008 by proxy?

• 19-02-2008 12:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7250730.stm

Imagine if NI qualified like this. They came 3rd in Spain's group so would automatically qualify if Spain are kicked out.

NI played well through the qualifiers, no one would deny that but if they end up at Euro 2008 they would probrably be the weakest team ever from Europe to reach a major tournament.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

About the Spanish government took it's nose out of football imo.

They bankrolled the Galacticos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

DesF wrote: »
    About the Spanish government took it's nose out of football imo.

They bankrolled the Galacticos.

I heard somewhere the big players at the major Spanish clubs pay no tax - at all. Is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Didnt Denmark win the competition after qualifying like this?

darkman2 wrote: »
    I heard somewhere the big players at the major Spanish clubs pay no tax - at all. Is this true?
    Um, in most countries the clubs pay the tax for the players.

The figure you hear quoted as €/p/week is a figure after tax, with the club having picked up the tax bill.

AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not sure about that Des, remember Riises wage slip appeared online? there was tax deductions in that afaik.

Although, i too have heard that the Spanish government charge minimal tax on players wages as an added incentive to play in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

is this just an empty threat by fifa, any chance of NI actually getting to euro 08?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not sure about that Des, remember Riises wage slip appeared online? there was tax deductions in that afaik.
    Hmm, I remember that.

BUT, part of (THE main part imo) Shels problems were that they weren't paying the tax due, and every club in Ireland operates this way.

Oh, I think I know what I was meaning.

The company you work for pays the tax for you too. You don't have to physically write a cheque every week/month for the revenue, do you?

Sorry, i was indeed incorrect there.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Although, i too have heard that the Spanish government charge minimal tax on players wages as an added incentive to play in Spain.
    Charging minimal tax, and paying no tax are not the same thing.

Sports stars in Ireland can reclaim tax paid after their careers are finished, I think.

ditpoker wrote: »
    is this just an empty threat by fifa, any chance of NI actually getting to euro 08?
    FIFA don't do empty threats, especially concerning Spain :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Tax on football players wages in spain is about 15% far less than in other european countries so it costs clubs comparitively far less to give a player a net wages of X than in Italy,England etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Hmm, I remember that.

BUT, part of (THE main part imo) Shels problems were that they weren't paying the tax due, and every club in Ireland operates this way.

Oh, I think I know what I was meaning.

The company you work for pays the tax for you too. You don't have to physically write a cheque every week/month for the revenue, do you?

Sorry, i was indeed incorrect there.

Charging minimal tax, and paying no tax are not the same thing.

Sports stars in Ireland can reclaim tax paid after their careers are finished, I think.

No AFAIK
    They are just able to put 30% on wages into a pension tax free rather than the 15% a person of there age would normaly be able to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Eirebear wrote: »
    Didnt Denmark win the competition after qualifying like this?

Yes.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Galvasean wrote: »

Thankyou! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally I'd like to see governments get more involved in football, as I trust them more than I trust FIFA.

PHB wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see governments get more involved in football, as I trust them more than I trust FIFA.
    Hmm

Bertie or Sepp?

Daddy or Chips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

No AFAIK
    They are just able to put 30% on wages into a pension tax free rather than the 15% a person of there age would normaly be able to

Wrong.

You can claim back a significant chunk of any PAYE paid when you retire from the game. Rugby are taking more advantage of it than football at the moment, hence the quality Aussies and All Blacks heading to play in Ireland for the last 3 or 4 years of their careers.

When you hear of a player getting x a week that is generally net of tax, the clubs still pay it, but unlike us oiks, they negotiate after tax wages.

In fact most players are actually contractors as opposed to employees and pay corporate tax rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Weren't Russia gonna be dumped out of Euro 2004 paving the way for us to sneak in the backdoor? Seems like there's a couple of stories like this in every qualifying series.

As for the Denmark comparisons you should put it in perspective. Sure it took a civil war and the disintegration of Yugoslavia itself to pave the way for Denmark to qualify. ie it was an event that was bigger than FIFA itself.

No way Spain is missing out on Euro2008.

Also there's no way Norn Iron would be the worst team to qualify for the Euros. For that look no further than Englands 1988 team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

As already posted, the tax rate for professional footballers in Spain is around the 15% mark. Afaik, the wages figures quoted in most of the rags about premiership footballers are gross amounts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hmm

Bertie or Sepp?

Daddy or Chips?
    hahaha. On form this today Des.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ditpoker wrote: »

sounds to me like scare tactics tbh, but you never kno?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You sure it won't be the next best team in terms of record over 3rd in that group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You sure it won't be the next best team in terms of record over 3rd in that group?

Wouldnt have thought so. You'd imagine it would be the team that would theoretically qualified had Spain not been in the group in the first place.

In that case it would be Denmark who go through and not Northern Ireland.

Both finished on 20 points, but Denmark lost twice to Spain whereas Northern Ireland lost away and won at home. Therefore, if you remove Spain's results, Nothern Ireland will have 17pts and Denmark will have 20pts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Pigman II wrote: »

Also there's no way Norn Iron would be the worst team to qualify for the Euros. For that look no further than Englands 1988 team :D

Hmmmm True their record was: Played 3 Won 0 Drew 0 Lost 3 For 2 Against 7

But at least they scored one more goal than they did in 1992, and that was offside iirc! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Stekelly wrote: »
    Wouldnt have thought so. You'd imagine it would be the team that would theoretically qualified had Spain not been in the group in the first place.

i think that is the way it happened in 1992, at the time there was even talk of the Republic of Eire getting the place Yougoslavia vacated, as far as I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In that case it would be Denmark who go through and not Northern Ireland.

Both finished on 20 points, but Denmark lost twice to Spain whereas Northern Ireland lost away and won at home. Therefore, if you remove Spain's results, Nothern Ireland will have 17pts and Denmark will have 20pts.

Denamrk to qualify by proxy and win the whole damn thing AGAIN...?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Linky

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7264354.stm

Uefa has warned Spain they could be thrown out of Euro 2008, which may open the door for Northern Ireland.
    Uefa may step in if the Spanish government tries to interfere in the election process of the Spanish FA.

Spain topped their qualifying group for the European Championship, with NI finishing in third place.

"Uefa and Fifa deal with these sort of issues very seriously. These are no empty threats - we will back them up," said Uefa spokesman William Gaillard.

"It is similar to 1992 when Yugoslavia was suspended and Denmark, who finished second in the group, came in," added Gaillard.

Denmark went on to win the tournament in Sweden after beating Germany 2-0 in the final.

Spain and second-placed Sweden qualified for this summer's finals in Austria and Switzerland from Group F, with Nigel Worthington's side missing out.

"We have heard nothing about this," said Irish FA president Raymond Kennedy.

"There has been no communication and it is obviously an internal matter."

Mad if they got to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Fair play to them:)

merged the weeks old news with the weeks old thread.

Non event really, especially seeing as if they discounted spains qualifying results, which is the fairest way of doing it, Denmark would leapfrog N.I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Heres hoping NI get through *fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Galvasean wrote: »

No!

Wasn’t it because Yugoslavia went to war?

Advertisement