Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Relief on Service Charges

Options
  • 19-02-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for information on Tax Relief of Service Charges and Tax Relief on Refuse Charges.

I own an apartment in Balbriggan and pay a Service Charge to a Management Company. Am I entitled to claim tax relief of service charges?

Refuse charges are included in that service charge by the Management Company. Am I entitled to claim tax relief on the refuse charges seperately or would it be included in the tax relief of service charges?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

As far as I know, you're only allowed to claim tax credits for the refuse collection portion of the management fee. Your MC or MA should be able to provide you with a document for the Revenue explaining how much of your fee goes towards refuse collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Thanks for that Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Landlord can claim both against tax.

Owner occupier or tenant can only claim Refuse Charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

There's a form on the Revenue website that you can download. Can't remember the number of the form but it should be easy enough to find. You have to put the name of who collects your waste (council or private company) and the amount that you paid. If you're paying it as part of your management fees, your management company should be able to provide you with the amount of your fees that went to bin charges.

Be careful with this though because some of the bright sparks at Revenue don't seem to realise you can do this. When I phoned them to ask how to go about it they first tried to tell me that I wasn't entitled to a tax credit since I was paying the management company for my bin charges. Fortunately I was armed with a copy of a Parliamentary Question from the Minister of Finance saying otherwise! Then when I sent in my form, along with a Med 1 form, I was credited for the Medical expenses but not for the bin charges and I had to get on to Revenue again about it. Finally this week the refund arrived but only because I kept at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Thats great. Thanks everybody :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement