Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for decent hillwalking boots

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gregor43 wrote: »
    It's about €155 to order the Hanwag Limas from here:
    www.outdoorgb.com/p/hanwag_lima_gtx_boots/
    Good find! I was looking all over the place back in August/September last year, and couldn't find anyone who'd ship outside of the UK.

Although the exchange rate back then wasn't quite as attractive as it is now (was closer to 1.30), which would probably have made them more expensive than what I paid in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Gregor43 wrote: »
    It's about €155 to order the Hanwag Limas from here:
    www.outdoorgb.com/p/hanwag_lima_gtx_boots/

Capel Camping do the Bestard Mitjorn, which seem similar to the Lima. Nice boot, narrow fit.

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin that does Zamberlan or Asolo? I see them here www.sct.ie but need to try them on in store.

I'm waiting for Outdoor Adventure Store to get more of the Berghaus Explorer in stock to try them on. Man it's a lot of work finding the right boot!!

No Zamberlan dealers in dublin at all these days I'm afraid. Millets were the last they stopped around 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Molly's Smile

I recommend Brasher leather boots. They are really waterproof, confi and not so expensive to compare with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I was looking at a pair of leather brashers today - they seemed okay but I didn't try them on. As it is I was up the Dublin mountains today in my mountaineering boots and man they're heavy. A new pair of walking boots are on the cards for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

remember boots can only be waterproof to the top, stepping in deeper water/bog/muck will get you wet feet no matter how much goretex or plastic or waterproof leather is in the boot.
    I use a pair of Sealskinz long lites (knee length). I found my old cheap boots more comfortable than a newer pair of Goretex berghaus' I bought, and the Sealskinz sorted out the leaky problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jack murph

Hi all Thurs 30/1/2014

Has anyone heard of / or had experience with Karrimor Boots -- i've looked at a good few stores in Cork and they carry most of the brands like Lowa , Brasher, Meindl,etc for about € 160--0o

I then came across a UK website sportsdirect.com who carry Hi-tec Dunlop, and another no. of brands incl. Karrimor which are about half the price of the Cork Stores incl postage.

I've seen the Karrimor Brand on Rucksacs but I wonder has anyone any experience of either this website or Karrimor Brand -- their boots look the job - are Leather Boots in the Traditional style with Vibram Soles But not Stitched.

I would be obliged with your views

Regards

jack murph

Once upon a time Karrimor were a first-rate, groundbreaking family owned business with manufacturing in England making some of the best rucksacks around. Their fortunes changed however and after a period where they were bought out by an investment company are now owned by SportsDirect, and everything is now made in China, with the company a shadow of their former selves.

That's not to say that the boots aren't any good, of course, but you can't place any importance on the brand nameany more unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

SomeFool wrote: »
    I use Berghaus Explorers. They're comfortable and indestructable, great boot for hillwalking.

5 years since that post and these are still going btw although I use trail runners more these days if conditions allow, but these boots have plenty walking and climbing done. You might pay a bit more for a good pair of boots but it really is worth the investment, your feet will thank you!

Have some Karrimor gear like a waistpack for running and it's grand, cheap and does the job and prefer it to any Inov8 gear that costs about 4 times the price.

On the other hand there are some things where I just want the brands that everyone says are good even if they are a bit pricier, the basic stuff that will be hauled out again and again - that's boots for trekking and running shoes for the IMRA runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hmm.. I've had a pair of Karrimor KSB boots for a good few years. I think they were KSB3 or something like that. I was actually looking a while ago to replace them with same model but they don't seem to make this model anymore. These were a good quality boot, part leather, part fabric with a moulded rand fitted with a groove to take a clip on crampon.

Maybe like Alun says, when the company was sold, they got rid of the better quality products. I'd be expecting to pay at least €200 to replace these and I just don't see that sort of product anymore in their lines: http://store.karrimor.com/footwear/ksb

• Advertisement

The company first started going bad in the 1990's when the retail part was bought out, and things went downhill from then on although there was still some involvement of the original founders. They finally fell out completely and were taken over by SportsDirect in 2004, which was the final straw.

A similar thing happened with another company, Lowe Alpine, when they were owned by the Italian firm Asolo, but luckily they've come back from the brink and are now developing and designing stuff in the UK again.

Advertisement