Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disposing of waste engine oil from a DIY service.

Options
  • 19-02-2008 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anywhere that will take waste engine oil from a DIY service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

alot of landfills do... sorry "Civic Amenity Centres"

Note that they don't take old canisters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Some bring centres will take engine oil. I use the one opposite DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Ringsend bring centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You can put it in with your home heating oil (if you have oil). Apparently up to 20% mix is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

JHMEG wrote: »
    You can put it in with your home heating oil (if you have oil). Apparently up to 20% mix is ok.

Any attributable source there? Would like to do this if I could.

• Advertisement

A mechanic friend does it.

Google. I'm sure loads of people are doing it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are in the Dublin area:
    http://www.dublinwaste.ie/bring_bank.php?material%5B%5D=has_engine_oil&search=Find
    If not, then your local authority should have something in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Down the toilet sure it'll be grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

JohnCleary wrote: »

Nah, in the local pond, lubes up them fishies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'd love to see a 20% mix of used engine oil and kero getting through a 0.5 gal per hour danfoss jet!!:rolleyes: (I hope you have professional indemnity insurance after giving this advice!! LOL)

There are boilers designed to run on waste oil or a mix, but they work differently to a normal domestic heating boiler.

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    I'd love to see a 20% mix of used engine oil and kero getting through a 0.5 gal per hour danfoss jet!!:rolleyes: (I hope you have professional indemnity insurance after giving this advice!! LOL)

There are boilers designed to run on waste oil or a mix, but they work differently to a normal domestic heating boiler.

4th poster down on this discussion is running on 20% mix. Claims to never have had a blocked nozzle.

They said diesel cars could only run on diesel too...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

4th poster down on this discussion is running on 20% mix. Claims to never have had a blocked nozzle.

I would not try to use anything other than diesel on a high pressure injection diesel (e.g. any Fiat, Alfa, GM, well - everything really from the past few years). Injectors get clogged. Vapourisers don't as easily.

MYOB wrote: »
    I would not try to use anything other than diesel on a high pressure injection diesel (e.g. any Fiat, Alfa, GM, well - everything really from the past few years).
    Only an eejit would, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Maybe he is, but I see repair bills well beyond the heat value of the burnt oil.

If it was well filtered used vegetable oil, run from a separate barrel, well diluted with kero, maybe but not used engine oil, that's full of tiny bits of steel etc.

I know several garages that use their used engine oil for heating but they have special boilers to burn it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Quoth Fight Club: "Did You Know You Can Use Old Motor Oil to Fertilize Your Lawn?"

Avns1s wrote: »
    Maybe he is, but I see repair bills well beyond the heat value of the burnt oil.
    As I said, mechanic friend burns it and has been for years (filtered and diluted of course) in his boiler. Has never had any problems from burning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Pay the knackers to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

On a sort-of related topic, where can I get rid of old oil filters, as the place where I recycle my oil won't take any containers?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Plug wrote: »

Why pay them to chuck it in the local river when you could do that all by yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I use mine as a cooking oil. Mmmm, smokey bacon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rofl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"Travellers" you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

"Travellers" you mean.

He was right the first time LOL :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

JohnCleary wrote: »

good one hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Oil filter - bin
    Used engine oil - Halloween bon fire.

I'm suprised no ones mention it Dare i say tip it down the drain outside your house :o . Joking aside Haynes manual says not to tip it down the drain as its anti-social :rolleyes:

I'm suprised no ones mention it Dare i say tip it down the drain outside your house :o . Joking aside Haynes manual says not to tip it down the drain as its anti-social :rolleyes:
    Oil floats on water. Tip it down the drain and after you've finished head scratching, cursing, mixing washing up liquid with it, you'll end up spooning the sh1te back out again.

LOL i wouldn't do it i know it would be a pain. Maybe a drain outside a neighbours house that you hate .......JOKE :)
    Oil floats on water. Tip it down the drain and after you've finished head scratching, cursing, mixing washing up liquid with it, you'll end up spooning the sh1te back out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 petawee

put it down your neighbours drain ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why pay them to chuck it in the local river when you could do that all by yourself?

Wha ? De babbies like to play with the aisle filters!

Advertisement