Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinema goodies

• 19-02-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭

This man went on a mini protest outside his local cinema across the water after being booted out for having the apparent cheek to bring his own goodies into the film.

Now i know many cinemas have a policy of banning food and drink not bought in the cinema, although it is rarely enforced, but if this were to happen to me I'd go nuts. What do you think of this sort of situation?

Do you buy from the cinema? 126 votes

Yes, i like to follow the rules.
    0% 0 votes
    No, screw them. They're a rip-off.
    23% 30 votes
    Food and drink? I don't go to the cinema. That's a rip-off!
    76% 96 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

How about going 90 minutes without stuffing your gob?

I certainly wouldn't be happy at a security guard wanting to check my bag though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Nachos n cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No money in tickets, all cash made from shop sales, and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Our local cinema has the worst popcorn so I generally bring a bag of sweeets myself.

I don't eat in the cinema, when I was little mice would come and nibble on your left overs during the film. Today the thoughts of all the trapped man fart germs in the seats puts me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Cinema food is gank. so if im gna be eatin it'll be somethin decent like fruit/ a sambo and a pint o milk

Although I've stuck to not eating at all when i go, as i dont wanna hafta take a pi55 half way through a 2 hour long film

Its just greed after greed

Yes, its their policy, but its a pants one

Tickets themselves go up every few months, its nearly 10 euro a ticket, and i remember the good ol school days of £3 for a ticket! :p

Ha, the spokeman said you get a full refund if you have to leave, so any tiny profit they might of gotten, they wont! Saps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't eat in the cinema, when I was little mice would come and nibble on your left overs during the film. Today the thoughts of all the trapped man fart germs in the seats puts me off.
    Simple solution, stop eating the food off the seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Wasnt there a talk about this in the film forum recently?

I dont think people get stopped as much in irish cinemas.

I know I bring fruit sometimes and I never get stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Last time I was at Cineworld the girl I was with decided to lift a bottle of RiverRock rather than queue and pay for it.

As I tried to convince her of the merits of a society based on law and order she informed what they were charging for it, to which we both chimed "Now that's robbery!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

After seeing them refill the butter machine, I think I'll pass on the whole popcorn thing altogether. I rarely go to the cinema anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I wouldn't even bother going to the cinema anymore, not with cheap food and teh internetz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

i live near our cinema, so always just pop in some microwaved popcorn and bring it over, along with a bottle of drink.
    My popcorn is always way fresher than their overpriced muck anyway!

Isn't there some legal issue that a cinema employee can't themselves 'search' you, although they can always fall back on the right to refuse admission?

If cinemas here got that anal, I just wouldn't go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Haven't gone to the cinema in years but when I did go I bought popcorn and drinks there, everything else I brought with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If cinemas here got that anal, I just wouldn't go

I'm sure some do down the back seats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Moonbaby wrote: »

You breath rooughly a liter of ass gas a day, regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

This man went on a mini protest outside his local cinema

http://soapboxrants.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/father-ted-careful-now.jpg
    Had to be done.

Yeah I just don't buy the cinema food, I fill up before I go see a film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cineworld do Ben & Jerry's Core Sundaes.

No food I could bring myself would compare!

*Awaiting Karl Hungus's response*

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

I wonder if you brought a mars bar and a coke could you get away with claiming to be diabetic.

(no disrespect to those actually suffering from diabetes intended)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If I'm going on my own, I eat or drink nothing.

If I'm going with the kids there's a Boots beside Vue where you can buy sweets and drinks if you forget to bring them. While your wife stands in the queue for the tickets, shout to her that you're dashing into Boots for the goodies. :D

Never stopped yet, and if it does happen I'll just say it's shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I voted that I like to follow the rules but actually sometimes I eat the food from the cinema and sometimes I bring my own in. I r rebel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Simple answer, pockets. I can fit a small bag of sweets and a can of coke easily in the pockets. And with no bag you don't look suspicious and it's not an airport - they don't have time to frisk everyone.

I like the justification from the cinema: "our prices are in line ith other cinema chains."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

mmmmmmmmmmm cinema popcorn just tastes nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I eat and drink nothing at the cinema. I thought only the Gardaí had the right to search so the cinema staff can get ****ed.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Last time I was at Cineworld the girl I was with decided to lift a bottle of RiverRock rather than queue and pay for it.

As I tried to convince her of the merits of a society based on law and order she informed what they were charging for it, to which we both chimed "Now that's robbery!".
    I hope this wasn't a girl you were there on a date with. It would put me right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Was wondering how long it would take before someone used the father ted reference :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Simple answer, pockets. I can fit a small bag of sweets and a can of coke easily in the pockets. And with no bag you don't look suspicious and it's not an airport - they don't have time to frisk everyone.

Yep agreed. I find wearing a pair of combats especially useful for bringing all your goodies into the cinema. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I always buy popcorn and nachos at the cinema, not becasue I want to follow the rules or anything just because it tastes so damn nice. Way better then a bag of popcorn from the shop.

If I'm a bit broke I'll buy a drink and a packet of sweets before I go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

food and drinks are the main way cinemas make their profits not through film ticket sales. which is kinda weird. i dont see irish cinemas frisking people for food gestapo style. VERR ARRR YOURR PAPERS??

however if they were to start some type of strict shoot to kill policy for people that talk in the cinema i would fully support it. did i pay the guts of a tenner to hear some bimbo and her friend wafflin throughout the film? No i fuppin well did not! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

Used to get popcorn in the cinemas. But since they've stopped making it there and then, and instead ship in sacks of pre-popped ****e that's rubbery and stale, and costs a ridiculous amount, I've stopped buying. I'll eat just before or just after instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The food that is picked to be eaten in the cinema, popcorn+nachos=Large amount of noise! When theres a new film out and full of people, the noise of dopes stuffing their faces can be annoying :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

A few weeks ago I paid €10.90 for 2 drinks, 2 popcorns and a bag of Haribo. I think I might consider thinking about bringing my own stuff next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

jb91 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I paid €10.90 for 2 drinks, 2 popcorns and a bag of Haribo. I think I might consider thinking about bringing my own stuff next time.

zomg? That's a low price for a cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

5starpool wrote: »
    I hope this wasn't a girl you were there on a date with. It would put me right off.

I'm gonna plead the 5th on that one. Not too sure what it was but we've known each other for years so I wasn't too surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

The-Rigger wrote: »
    zomg? That's a low price for a cinema.

prolly small sizes, I know when I go to cinema it costs at least 22e for the the same stuff, it's large though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would just go without. I sometimes sneak the odd beer in. Got caught last time, I arrived tipsy and have a bag brimming with bottles! so that was fair enough- in the end I was sort of pleased, would have got too pissed to enjoy it, he just kept my bag for me.

my friend brought in a KFC aswell, stank the place out
    I have done that there too, smells better than popcorn, and less noisey IMO.

I sometimes get a nice big ripoff coke, for my naggin of sneaky vodka. Cheaper than a pub so it doesnt bother me.

I know a few who do that, it is just like imagining a big screen in a pub. €10 entry €3-4 for your drink in there, bring in your own booze. Works out the same as what you would spend in a pub for 1.5-2hours. Then head to the pub after, something to discuss too.

I remember being in the cinema in stillorgan at midnight one time, over half the people were bollocksed, was a comedy and everybody was screaming laughing and talking. (or maybe it was only me:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I love the popcorn in the Screen cinema, always fresh with lots of salt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    The food that is picked to be eaten in the cinema, popcorn+nachos=Large amount of noise! When theres a new film out and full of people, the noise of dopes stuffing their faces can be annoying :D

I'll never understood how popcorn and nachos became cinema food.

It's so ****ing annoying!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Gone be the Days of Bray Cinema used to bring Mc Donalds & Drink into it no problem disguised in a School Bag of Course :D

Dragan wrote: »
    You breath rooughly a liter of ass gas a day, regardless.

Not when they make me Taoiseach, and I round all you gas producers up and intern you in a biosphere where Roscommon is today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Petey2006 wrote: »
    Used to get popcorn in the cinemas. But since they've stopped making it there and then, and instead ship in sacks of pre-popped ****e that's rubbery and stale, and costs a ridiculous amount, I've stopped buying. I'll eat just before or just after instead.

...where I work, its always made in the cinema... and no, not allowed to search you, food can be brought in anyway.

Yeah cinemas are ripoffs, but if you're compelled to complain, please dont do it at the counter... staff have nothing to do with it:rolleyes: ring the head office or hit AH i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I'd try to bring in food if possible, I'm not a popcorn fan so no point buying any of the other crap there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

ya cinemas are a complete rip...can pay like 4 quid for a bag of haribo...the onyl reason i buy stuff there is if its a late screening and the shops are closed or i really want popcorn or nachos[even though they make ****e ones most of the time] and have some cash on me....prices are ridiculous so i try to avoid it and bring my own in...if a staff member ever thought about searching me or my girlfriend going in they would most definately be told to f off and if they persisted i'd get a refund.no way would i let them look through my gf's bag or my pockets...i haven't seen it done though i bring them in in my pocket the whole time,i dont know of any cinema's that search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

I'll never understood how popcorn and nachos became cinema food.

It's so ****ing annoying!

I'd imagine it was back in the days of the silent cinema, when there was no soundtrack! It's the only explanation... Well, not nachos, but maybe popcorn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I like the big long sausages myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

azezil wrote: »
    I like the big long sausages myself.

So we hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I just buy the food at the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I remember when I was a kid, a crowd of us from school would head on down to the cinema in Belgium.

Ticket for a student/kid was 5.5, a small popcorn and coke was 4.5

Rounded out nicely for a tenner.

Then things went downhill, tickets were up to 7euros (which is still cheaper than here) and food and drink went through the roof.

Going to the cinema depresses me now, even the popcorn is tastelss and never warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

rubadub wrote: »
    I would just go without. I sometimes sneak the odd beer in. Got caught last time, I arrived tipsy and have a bag brimming with bottles! so that was fair enough- in the end I was sort of pleased, would have got too pissed to enjoy it, he just kept my bag for me.

I have done that there too, smells better than popcorn, and less noisey IMO.

I sometimes get a nice big ripoff coke, for my naggin of sneaky vodka. Cheaper than a pub so it doesnt bother me.

I know a few who do that, it is just like imagining a big screen in a pub. €10 entry €3-4 for your drink in there, bring in your own booze. Works out the same as what you would spend in a pub for 1.5-2hours. Then head to the pub after, something to discuss too.

I remember being in the cinema in stillorgan at midnight one time, over half the people were bollocksed, was a comedy and everybody was screaming laughing and talking. (or maybe it was only me:))

There's an idea there. Late night cinema's with booze licenses where it's generally understood that you probably won't get the quietness you would expect from the average movie. Put on action/comedy/freaky movies and let everyone enjoy it all boozed up. Great for groups and dark for couples both new and old. Guaranteed trouble though so i think that idea is likely to be squashed by the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

fat people ftw !

• Advertisement
Advertisement