Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to downgrade for 6 months, 3k to spend, needs to be economic and reliable

Options
  • 19-02-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

...and maybe a bit of fun too.

My 323i needs to go as I'm looking to get a mortgage. I'd to get something small and economic but also reliable.

I'm thinking an old Jap car. However I don't want the boy racer look.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

have you sold the 323 yet? could take a while to get rid of it!

how about an older 316/318 or an alfa 156

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

it sure could take a while :)

alfa bashing aside I need something a little more reliable than them or BMWs of that age.

I think it has to be Japanese in the budget I'm looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Virtually any jap car for 3k should fit the bill! Plenty of Avensis and Accords around. The older Primeras were good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Are you selling it to free up cash or to please the bank?

I had a loan on a new Golf GTI when I went for a mortgage, I changed lenders after they had done their normal credit bureau check and provided them with a loan statement with a zero balance before drawdown. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

so the bank seen your outstanding loan and then you showed a zero balance claiming you had cleared it afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Well the way I saw it was I wasn't selling my pride and joy for any bank.

The rules for FTB are ridiculous (I could well afford to pay my car no matter how high interest rates get in realistic terms) but they demand all loans are cleared??!

So 'X' loan showed up when I applied for a mortgage, I borrowed 'Y' to pay off 'X' and the bank were satisfied. Now they may be wise to such things now as things have tightened up a lot but that was 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

How about a Polo? If you get a 1 litre they're very economical, very reliable as well, have to use your imagination for the fun part though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

How about a Polo? If you get a 1 litre they're very economical, very reliable as well, have to use your imagination for the fun part though:D

+1 Great car. Although zero to 40mph in my 99 took 40 odd seconds haha:p

Advertisement